Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-26-2016, 06:44 AM   #57
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrl1986 View Post
All though I do think the new zl1 is bad ass, I won't be upgrading. I plan on keeping my fifth then and putting a 70-73 split bumper in the garage next to it eventually. Also plan on building to 800+hp down the road and the LSA is more than proven capable of that easily.
Really like your taste in Camaro's. I don't use my 71 RS/Z28 because they just aren't as nice to drive as the new stuff, but every time I take the cover off it I can't believe how sharp of a car it is.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #58
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Had the ZL1 for 2 years, It was fun at first, but certain things started to annoy me. Do not like all the blind spots. When someone asks me if it is bad I say try backing out of a stall in a WAWA lot at 8:00am. next to impossible. I always felt like I was sitting in a hole with the high belt doors. For a high tier car the interior was lacking. The My Link was replaced 4 times under warranty(which ran out 2 weeks ago). Sold it yesterday prices are going to be good for a little while until the new Z comes out then they will drop like a rock. I will not be getting a 6th gen, The look is more Lexus then Camaro, I took one for a test drive and was very disappointed, the seats are better but still has that hole feeling. And GM just has the worst colors everything sedate. Ordered a 16 Challenger SRT 392. For the money way better interior and more exciting looking vehicle. The wife and I like road trips and the Challenger is a way better highway car than the Camaro ever was, way better seats and visibility. I am 6ft6in tall and sit very comfortable in it, and if you get the SRT it comes with all the toys and more than the ZL1 had. I will allways love Camaros my 69 Z28 sits in the garage waiting for the sun.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #59
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Had the ZL1 for 2 years, It was fun at first, but certain things started to annoy me. Do not like all the blind spots. When someone asks me if it is bad I say try backing out of a stall in a WAWA lot at 8:00am. next to impossible. I always felt like I was sitting in a hole with the high belt doors. For a high tier car the interior was lacking. The My Link was replaced 4 times under warranty(which ran out 2 weeks ago). Sold it yesterday prices are going to be good for a little while until the new Z comes out then they will drop like a rock. I will not be getting a 6th gen, The look is more Lexus then Camaro, I took one for a test drive and was very disappointed, the seats are better but still has that hole feeling. And GM just has the worst colors everything sedate. Ordered a 16 Challenger SRT 392. For the money way better interior and more exciting looking vehicle. The wife and I like road trips and the Challenger is a way better highway car than the Camaro ever was, way better seats and visibility. I am 6ft6in tall and sit very comfortable in it, and if you get the SRT it comes with all the toys and more than the ZL1 had. I will allways love Camaros my 69 Z28 sits in the garage waiting for the sun.
Good thing the same cars don't work for everyone, else we'd all be driving the same ones!

Wonder if your height makes the blind spot difference? At 5'7, I have absolutely no blind spots. My rear camera allows me to back into and out of tight spaces perfectly, I feel great dodging in and out of traffic, and I commute mine and could drive on the hwy (or on bad roads) in it all day long - it couldn't be more comfortable to me. I was a little hesitant about DD comfort on the Recaros at first, but wow, I never get uncomfortable in those seats.

I drove a 392, and liked it quite a lot. You're definitely getting a great car. Felt like muscle car, but a little large and heavy for my preference and didn't "turn my crank" like the ZL1 did. Would be a different story if I needed a 4 seater, 392 or Hellcat would be my choice over any other if that were the case.

Can't go wrong with American Muscle!
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #60
Chrispy
11.91 ET Bone stock

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
I took the car to my wife's aunts house for Easter brunch today. I had at least 15 people, wave, give thumbs, kids yelling out etc. All in a 20 minute drive. It was pretty hilarious but just goes to show the ZL1 is special. I've never seen a Porsche, Audi etc get that reaction...
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #61
370zyzfr1

Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
392 vs zl1... Two completely different vehicles in my opinion. But if that is personally a better fit then I wish you the best and sad to see you go.
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:35 PM   #62
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
Quote:
I like the retro look of the Challenger, just like the retro look of the Gen 5's. To me the Mustangs and Gen 6's lost their muscle car titles and are sports cars now... They have the Euro curvy look to them now. But, each to their own... I bought my car for me and nobody else...
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #63
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
+1 on the ZL1 still getting attention. My 2015 did. I wish I could have kept it. No one hardly notices the new Camaro.

But even though I miss the supercharger whine a little, the CA6 SS is more fun to drive. Really its a sports car with a small block chevy. It is not quite as fast as my stock ZL1 was, but it's close. And as mentioned the visibilty is still awful but slightly improved. You need the good backup camera, beepers, and lane change warning on the 2SS. That should be on all Camaros.

After owning really fast motorcycles and a 600+ RWHP TT 1LE, I am not yearning for the new ZL1. The speed is just not useful on the street. No buyers remorse here.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #64
mjross

Drives: 2014 Vette Stingray,2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Looked into the SRT 392 also. Read on the SRT/ Challenger forum about the mysterious dents that pop up all over the car for no reason. People are really pissed. Believed to be caused by the very thin metal. Can't even lean on it. Changed my mind and bought my ZL1. Great car that will be much more rare than the SRT 392. To each there own.

Peace
mjross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #65
BAPD77

Drives: 2013 Yellow ZL1/2015 Z51 Stingray
I have never been blown away by the 6th Gen. At first it looked too much like the 5th gen to be considered a new generation. Then, as it grew on me a little bit, I went and looked at an SS and was not blown away by the power as expected based on reviews. It was faster than my 1LE, but my ZL1 is still head and shoulders above it in my book. It doesn't have the same aggressive stance as the 5th gen to me either.
BAPD77 is offline   Reply With Quote