Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
2010 ss rear fe4 uograde

I want to do the fe4 conversion the back of my 10ss and leave the front stock for now, would i need a alignment after this conversion. And would doing the front make that much of a difference if I don't track the car.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Alignment not needed for just sways. . But if you are going to track the car you mite want a track alighnment. On the sways I would say depends how thick the bar is in the rear
Old 06-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
To do the FE4 upgrade, you need to change out your rear lower control arms. This will require an alignment.

If you don't track or auto-x your car, then the FE4 upgrade is not a must. Just get some 2010 sway bars and that will make a big difference in the handling ability.
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:37 AM   #4
rotwiler
ruff ruff

ya from previous post I did I learned about the bmr reinforcement for the 10 to strengthen the point the bar mounts, but figured for 35.00 for each lower control arm it is probably worth it, to do the conversion. Plus they are backwards compatible now. But my main concern is alignment and these shops not getting it right if I have a fe3 front setup and fe4 rear. For some reason local shops around here are terrible, anything out of norm they act like it's so much work, just drilling the hole larger for the front fe4 conversion, chances are they will be totally confused or not want to do it.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:31 AM   #5
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I literally just did this. I was very careful and lined up the factory alignment marker marks (or made my own). However, I am still going to get it aligned after the engine is installed as I have free lifetime alignments for the car.

I don't think the FE3 or FE4 have specific alignment specs. All I have seen are alignment specs for drag racing, auto crossing, road course. I could be wrong on that but that is what I recall.

Last edited by blake-b; 06-04-2015 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Grammar mistake
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
ya from previous post I did I learned about the bmr reinforcement for the 10 to strengthen the point the bar mounts, but figured for 35.00 for each lower control arm it is probably worth it, to do the conversion. Plus they are backwards compatible now. But my main concern is alignment and these shops not getting it right if I have a fe3 front setup and fe4 rear. For some reason local shops around here are terrible, anything out of norm they act like it's so much work, just drilling the hole larger for the front fe4 conversion, chances are they will be totally confused or not want to do it.
The alignment process is no different, they likely won't even know the difference when you go in. And no, I wouldn't trust a shop to drill anything either. There's a few exceptions but most tire/alignment shops will have mostly really bad people and hopefully 1 or 2 good one. But you never know which will touch your car.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
No need to tell them there's anything different in the back, the alignment is no different on the FE4 vs the FE3, it's simply just where the sway bar mounts up.

You could add the LCAs and just leave the FE3 sway in place, have it aligned and then down the road swap the sway bar if you want. Changing the sway bar won't require an alignment.

I will say though, the FE3 bar came out easily without remove any wheels, the FE4 though I had to remove the rear wheels to get the bar in place without dropping the catback.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
What's your reason for wanting to change to the FE4? You didn't mention changing sways bars, so if you are planning on keeping the stock rear sway, you're just wasting money. If you are not tracking and stressing the sways, that tab will hold up fine. You need to worry about it breaking when you put a stiffer FE3 sway in.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
rotwiler
ruff ruff

I won't be tracking it, but wanted a stiffer sway bar, so figured for a extra 100 I could just do the lca and end links at same time.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
BLACK67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to BLACK67
Do the FE4 sway bar. The geometry is totally different. You will see when you get it.
Just do it, you wont regret it.
Dynatech LT headers, Hi flow Cats
MBRP 3" 304 stainless X-pipe exhaust
Fastlane true CAI.
Barton shifter
BLACK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
ZiG

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The big thing about the fe4 mounting location is it's much more smooth. Definitely happy with my setup. I marked the alignment before the swap, got everything back in place and haven't bothered with an alignment so far..

2011 2SS/RS LS3
Rotofab CAI/scoop/washer - FE4 conversion - Pfadt ZL swaybars - BMR endlinks - Hurst short shifter - RKSport spoiler
ZiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
It's a great upgrade. I completed mine a couple weeks ago and I love it. Definitely will need an alignment though.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I did mine and added a 1LE rear bar with the stock 2010 SS bar up front and a square tire setup. This made the car extremely well balanced.

The down side though is that now I have issues with inside rear tire spinning sometimes in autocross.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote