Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Introducing Mishimoto's new 2016 Camaro 2.0T Engineering Vehicle

She's My Turbo Lover - Mishimoto's New 2016 Camaro 2.0T Engineering Vehicle

Hey Everyone! As I'm sure many of you know, we have a 2016 Camaro SS Coupe for which we have been working on a whole suite of parts, but we wanted to bring the 2.0 Turbo into the picture too! We are very excited to be continuing work on the Camaro platform and love being a part of this community; check the second post of this thread for a list of R&D links as we expand the 2.0 portfolio and get to know this car.

One of the best parts about a small, dynamic company like Mishimoto is that there is never a dull moment around our R&D facility. Change happens frequently, and no two days are the same. At any given time, we’ve got a solid fleet of engineering vehicles at our disposal that serve as development platforms for our exciting new products, and over time, we become intimately acquainted with each vehicle’s characteristics and quirks; each develops a personality and earns its own place on the Mishimoto team. This makes it tough to see them go, but it is always exciting to welcome on a new team member.

This week, it was time for our 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost to move on to bigger and better things. We had the car around for a decent amount of time and grew quite fond of it, but our engineers could never quite relax in its presence, particularly when they were gathered in large crowds for meetings.

However, the circle of life has done its thing and presented us with our latest team member, and I am very pleased to have the privilege of announcing the purchase of our brand new…

2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T!

Picking up our 2016 Turbo Camaro

The rear angle of our 2016 Turbo Camaro (with the RS appearance package)

We made the trek to the dealership last week to make the exchange, and of course, we were greeted with rain just as we arrived. However, the dealership was accommodating in letting us bring the car under cover so we could begin examining the engine bay and making the car our own before the ink was even dry on the purchase agreement!

Examining the 2016 Turbo Camaro

We began with the Mishimoto Engineering windshield banner – gotta let everyone know that we’ve got our hands on this sweet turbocharged beauty.

2016 Turbo Camaro Prep Work

A very delicate process!

Adorning our 2016 Turbo Camaro

Chilly the Penguin always gets to ride shotgun.

Chilly, maxin’ and relaxin’ in our 2016 Turbo Camaro

At Mishimoto, we have very rigid and defined processes for deciding who gets to drive the new cars home.

A dual for who gets to drive our 2016 Turbo Camaro

Let’s take a look at the car!

The Nitty-Gritty

Driving our 2016 Turbo Camaro home

The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 Turbo is GM’s latest edition to its storied family of muscle cars. It serves as an entry-level model, joining its V6- and V8-powered older siblings to round out the Camaro line, more closely aligning it to compete with Ford and its range of Mustangs. The Camaro 2.0T is powered by GM’s 275 horsepower LTG 2.0L turbocharged engine, which can also be found under the hood of several Cadillacs and a smattering of other GM products. This is the first Camaro that is available with a 4-cyllinder engine since the third generation of the platform.

The 2016 Turbo Camaro Engine Bay

Here she sits in the shadow of her big brother, the SS.

The 2016 Turbo Camaro next to her V8-powered older brother

Our car features a 6-speed manual transmission and the upgraded cooling package, which upgrades the cooling system to a setup not unlike that on the SS – it adds two additional auxiliary radiators and associated goodies. We are looking forward to delving into these and other aspects of this vehicle soon – keep your eyes peeled for our upcoming first impressions video series.

Now as I mentioned, the heavens were pouring down upon us when we picked up the 2.0T, but at Mishimoto, we like to think of the glass as being half-full. This little Camaro felt spritely on I-95 on the way back-to-base, but as her turbo spooled, we could feel this little lady practically begging to be let loose; she spoke to us and we spoke to the boss-man, and the rest, as they say, is history:

Of course, after we finished messing about, we had to get down to business. That’s right – we’ve already let the 2.0T loose on the DynoJet™. (You know you work for a cool company when “stop fooling around and get down to business” means throwing a Camaro on the dyno.) Check out the video below for our first runs and a chart. The car made a bit less power at the wheels than we anticipated, but we plan on correcting that in short order.

Coming Up…

Thanks for reading! We hope you are as excited as we are about this car – In addition to all of the cool projects we are planning, we have some VERY exciting stuff coming up that I don’t think you will want to miss, so stay tuned to find out what we have in store for this zippy, turbocharged, new member of the Camaro and Mishimoto families!

Please feel free to check out this post on our blog and read more about this and other projects!

Until we meet again,
– Gardiner
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Mishimoto Products in Development:

- Mishimoto's 2016+ Camaro 2.0T Intake!

Learn all about the R&D process on our engineering blog, and follow along in our development.
Reach out to Diamaan with any questions in our thread!

- Mishimoto's 2016+ Camaro 2.0T Direct-Fit Catch Can!

Learn all about the R&D process on our engineering blog, and follow along in our development.
Reach out to me with any questions in our thread!

- Mishimoto's 2016+ Camaro 2.0T Oil Cooler Kit!

- Mishimoto's 2016+ Camaro 2.0T Expansion Tank!

- Mishimoto's 2016+ Camaro 2.0T Intercooler!

- Mishimoto's 2016+ Camaro 2.0T Intercooler Pipes!

- Mishimoto's 2016+ Camaro 2.0T Radiator!

- Mishimoto's 2016+ Camaro 2.0T Downpipe!

Thanks!
-Gardiner

Last edited by Mishimoto; 12-12-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
cant wait... hopefully some of the cooling parts transfer over to the v6 LT model as well.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
Ashium

Drives: Camaro 2.0t, 300zx TT, LSTT Mustang
All right! Thanks for putting one on a dyno! Everything really falls off after 5k. Anyways thanks for taking the plunge, into the 2.0T! I run some of your products on both of my cars and have installed them on others, with great results. Keep up the good work!
Ashium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
cant wait... hopefully some of the cooling parts transfer over to the v6 LT model as well.
Hopefully! That's TBD, but I will keep you in the loop as we figure all of this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiu View Post
All right! Thanks for putting one on a dyno! Everything really falls off after 5k. Anyways thanks for taking the plunge, into the 2.0T! I run some of your products on both of my cars and have installed them on others, with great results. Keep up the good work!
Not a problem! It does seem to fall off a bit, but the car feels more torquey than I had expected it to. Thanks for the nice words and glad you've had good experiences with our other products - hopefully I'll have some solid info to share with you all soon on these ones.

Thanks,
-Gardiner
Old 06-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Not bad hp, but man does the hp drop like an anchor after peak power. Did you happen to weigh it? What's it supposed to weigh.. 3,500-lbs? I would imagine a high 13 sec/ low 14 sec 1/4 mi run bone stock. This car could be the sleeper of the year if you get the rwhp closer to 300 and add some suspension pieces.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I don't think 300rwhp will be a long wait with the I4. You can probably already get that with what's on the market right now for less then $3k which is a lot less then what you need to spend to get the V6 to 300RWHP 5thGenwise although the new 6th Gens could surprise us if the aftermarket bug doesn't strike again and come much to late to the party.
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
That power curve looks similar to the one on my old LNF cobalt. Try as I might to open up the top end, but it couldn't be done on stock turbo, so I oped for the K04R 48mm impeller swap, and it really opened up the top end. My question to you guys is will you offer a cooling kit much like the GM one for the non RS owners? Your cooling kits on my FRS were awesome BTW. You guys are the first to hit the ground running with the 2.0T with ZZ Performance at a distant second, but they only cater to the ATS crowd.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
RenegadeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
I don't think 300rwhp will be a long wait with the I4. You can probably already get that with what's on the market right now for less then $3k which is a lot less then what you need to spend to get the V6 to 300RWHP 5thGenwise although the new 6th Gens could surprise us if the aftermarket bug doesn't strike again and come much to late to the party.
Trifecta has their tune out already with awesome results.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeSS View Post
Trifecta has their tune out already with awesome results.
I'd be all for them but they've had spotty service in the last few Gen5 Years not saying they are bad but it's been noticed. All I know of is Them and Vermont tuning atm i'm sure everyone else can I know JRE can dyno tune it.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
RenegadeSS

Quote:
I'd be all for them but they've had spotty service in the last few Gen5 Years not saying they are bad but it's been noticed. All I know of is Them and Vermont tuning atm i'm sure everyone else can I know JRE can dyno tune it.
I remember Vince back in the day in the cobalt community was the culprite for the bad name.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
I remember Vince back in the day in the cobalt community was the culprite for the bad name.
It's not the tune as far as 5th Gens go most that bought Trifecta were happy if not satisfied then one day they seemed to up and disappear and getting support was saga for a lot of people. I don't know any of them personally so I can't bash them just the service towards the end.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #13
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Not bad hp, but man does the hp drop like an anchor after peak power. Did you happen to weigh it? What's it supposed to weigh.. 3,500-lbs? I would imagine a high 13 sec/ low 14 sec 1/4 mi run bone stock. This car could be the sleeper of the year if you get the rwhp closer to 300 and add some suspension pieces.
We did not weigh the car personally, but the curb weight is supposedly right in the neighborhood of 3,300 pounds. The gross vehicle weight rating (maximum safe operating weight including passengers, cargo, fluids, etc.) is 4,188 pounds. It's a pretty light car and I imagine we will see some pretty good numbers on the butt dyno once we've had our way with it. Very much looking forward to that

Quote:
Yea, I think there is potential for a really favorable $/performance ratio with tuning and modifying this car. Definitely more so than the V6.

Quote:
That power curve looks similar to the one on my old LNF cobalt. Try as I might to open up the top end, but it couldn't be done on stock turbo, so I oped for the K04R 48mm impeller swap, and it really opened up the top end. My question to you guys is will you offer a cooling kit much like the GM one for the non RS owners? Your cooling kits on my FRS were awesome BTW. You guys are the first to hit the ground running with the 2.0T with ZZ Performance at a distant second, but they only cater to the ATS crowd.
Thanks for the comments though and glad our cooling kit worked so well for you on the Toyobaru!

Regarding the cooling kit, it's possible, but hard to say at this time! We're still early on with this car, but there will be some pretty cool stuff in the works shortly. Definitely a really cool idea though - thanks for mentioning it and - this goes for everyone - please don't hesitate to chime in with any more ideas or thoughts on what you want out of this car! My ears are open.

Thanks,
-Gardiner
Old 06-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
We did not weigh the car personally, but the curb weight is supposedly right in the neighborhood of 3,300 pounds. The gross vehicle weight rating (maximum safe operating weight including passengers, cargo, fluids, etc.) is 4,188 pounds. It's a pretty light car and I imagine we will see some pretty good numbers on the butt dyno once we've had our way with it. Very much looking forward to that

Yea, I think there is potential for a really favorable $/performance ratio with tuning and modifying this car. Definitely more so than the V6.

Thanks for the comments though and glad our cooling kit worked so well for you on the Toyobaru!

Regarding the cooling kit, it's possible, but hard to say at this time! We're still early on with this car, but there will be some pretty cool stuff in the works shortly. Definitely a really cool idea though - thanks for mentioning it and - this goes for everyone - please don't hesitate to chime in with any more ideas or thoughts on what you want out of this car! My ears are open.

Thanks,
-Gardiner
I'm anxiously awaiting my 2017 I4 I know the first production run was today. Already looking into tuning and meth injection options.

Tags
2.0, donuts, dynojet, mishimoto, turbo