Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
BamaRocker

Drives: 45th Anniversary owner and 72 Camar
Brake Issues…HELP,Please....

Brake Issues…HELP,Please

What a nightmare, I want and have ordered my new rims for my car and they are on the way now. I can’t believe that little roller skates can be such a pain.

I have been back and forth on this site and it seems no one has a clear cut fix for dealing with this issue, it’s either cut or swap pads. Not a problem either way but, every time I make a decision to go in one direction, bad reviews poor in, and scare you into another direction…

Cutting: Not one thread on how to actually do this in a consistent manner in which you do not take off more than needed. Also where, and how to cut, pictures showing full end results and from begging to end. Just telling someone to go cut them is not enough. I don’t mind doing this from now on if it is a better fix then swapping for bad pads. Just want to recreate same results every time.

Pad Swap: Hawk, Hawk, Hawk,/Problem, Problem .problem… Again, inconsistent, and no other pads out there that might do better. I prefer pad swap to cutting, just feel easier to maintain and fix over time. But scared to death to go thru all the issues with pad swap. It always seems to come down to the same pads and company. I actually ordered pads before the rims and now afraid to use them. (Hawk Ceramic Yellow Box).

OEM: Is there an OEM brake pad from another Chevy vehicle with the same brake material that can be used on SS Camaro front brakes. Example, Corvette or Cadillac. Maybe it is that simple.

I just use mine as a daily driver, just wanting more aggressive look, but want it safe to go down the road or highway and be able to repair anywhere I may need to stop. Hard to believe we are stuck with one OEM option..

Thanks, this can drive you crazy trying to make the right decision here…Like choosing rims and tires are not stressful enough…Haha
BamaRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
So do you know for a fact that your new wheels won't clear the roller skates? I put aftermarket 20 inch wheels and clear just fine. You can run into clearance issues when you go with a smaller diameter wheel. I swap between Hawk HP+ and the stock pads when tracking. As to what pad you should use depends on how you drive. I can tell you the more aggressive pads will squeal for street use, but as they heat up on the track they get quiet. That's just the nature of performance pads.

The ceramics you bought will work just fine for normal street use. You are stressing too much. Try the new wheels with the stock pads and if they don't clear, put the Hawks on and enjoy.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
BamaRocker

Niche APex 10.5 all 4 corners, yes they will hit the little wheels...
Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
just spend the $$$ on carbotech pads and be done with it...hawks suck imho. Xp8 Xp10 Xp12's all work amazing on our cars.....it's all about the bedding process.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
BamaRocker

anyone use these...wagner thermoquiet semi metalli
Old 06-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
The Hawk ceramics will be quiet as long as the rotors are prepped and cleaned and you burnish the pads in correctly. Most of the complaints you read about are from improper installation.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
BamaRocker

prepped and cleaned, meaning turn the rotors...????
Old 06-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRocker View Post
prepped and cleaned, meaning turn the rotors...????
Turn the rotors, or scour them with sandpaper, scotchbrite and brake cleaner to remove all the old pad material.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
What are you doing with the car? Any of the street pads should work fine and be quiet. I'm running Stop Stech Street performance pads for street and autocross, they're completely silent and perform well.

My brother has Hawk ceramics on his car and actually autocrossed them too, they're silent and he has no issues.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
BamaRocker

I went ahead and did the pad swap, and put the hawk ceramics on...Did nice burn in process, so far no issues...

Thanks Everyone...
Old 06-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Hey OP, just swap over to the Hawk Performance Ceramics and have done with it. You won't be washing your wheels every other day and the Hawk PC pads perform as well as the OEM ones. I swap out my race pads for these on a regular basis and even have done auto-x events on the Hawk PC pads (when I'm too lazy).
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #12
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
I have an early 2010(delivery 8/09) had no "roller skates" had no squeal.$0.02
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote