Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
American Le Mans 2009 Series ends in a...

American Le Mans 2009 Series ends in a brawl across the finish line with the Flying Lizard porsche and GM Corvette team!! The #3 corvette goes across the finish line sideways/backwards after hitting the wall head on.

I'm a Flying Lizard fan but the GM Corvette team always brings excitement to the track. Even when they had the only two cars left in GT1 they still raced each other out of the pits.

Next year is going to be crazy with all the manufactures in the GT class: Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, Panoz, Dodge,and Ford with the GT. I think after watching yesterdays race that we know who are going to be the "bad boys" on the track! (cough GM Corvette, cough)

I tried to find a youtube video but couldn't. Here is a better recap with comments from the corvette driver on how the race ended!! http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...FS=ALMS-LEMANS

Thanks Jekyll for the video link!!!

Last edited by Jay_LHD3; 10-12-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
Hell of a race with a very exciting finish.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS

Minute 3.15 is the crash

would be kicking A$$ lol
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Gah! Stinking Porche!!

...thought the bumping before that was hilarious, though...
Old 10-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
And they didn't penalize him for running him into the wall like that?
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaber99 View Post
American Le Mans 2009 Series ends in a brawl across the finish line with the Flying Lizard porsche and GM Corvette team!! The #3 corvette goes across the finish line sideways/backwards after hitting the wall head on.

I'm a Flying Lizard fan but the GM Corvette team always brings excitement to the track. Even when they had the only two cars left in GT1 they still raced each other out of the pits.

Next year is going to be crazy with all the manufactures in the GT class: Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, Panoz, and Ford with the GT. I think after watching yesterdays race that we know who are going to be the "bad boys" on the track! (cough GM Corvette, cough)

I tried to find a youtube video but couldn't. Here is a better recap with comments from the corvette driver on how the race ended!! http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...FS=ALMS-LEMANS
True. Next year is really gonna be something to watch. I'm so behing over here I didn't even know Ford would be racing a GT. I guess Ford and GM will be battling for the top spots. Gotta love those Corvettes tho'.
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
Jay_LHD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
Come on now! The Corvette Team had that coming! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
True. Next year is really gonna be something to watch. I'm so behing over here I didn't even know Ford would be racing a GT. I guess Ford and GM will be battling for the top spots. Gotta love those Corvettes tho'.
The Ford GT is raced by the Robertson Racing Team, not by Ford like the two corvettes .

I also forgot about the Dodge Viper that is ran by the Primetime Race Group Team.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
Other then maybe the rally this is THE BEST racing period
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:

The Ford GT is raced by the Robertson Racing Team, not by Ford like the two corvettes .

I also forgot about the Dodge Viper that is ran by the Primetime Race Group Team.

Out of everyone on every forum I've seen while researching this after just watching it DVR'ed (cuz I work nights), a majority of people for jorg are euopean. They all keep bringing up Melo from last year's Sebring race.

The corvette was obviously the faster car as Jan spun out AHEAD of the porsche. Jan was squeezed into the wall so hard that the only logical course of action is to steer away from the wall and back towards the porsche. The porsche just rode his fender until the spin was initiated and past the point of no return.

The difference with Melo/Berg from last year is that Melo didn't put him into the wall. It was just rubbing. Had Jorg actually done the exact same thing as Melo did in 2007, Jan would have taken it.

My point being is that the rubbing and bumping was perfectly fine, but squeezing Magnusson into the wall THAT MUCH was A) crossing a line and was either done intentionally to make him spin, or B) Jorg wasn't smart enough to realize what was going to happen.

Being the Jorg is a professional, one can only hope that he has the intelligence to know that putting someone into the wall that hard and keeping them there would result in a catastrophic spin.

All I have to say is that this goes unpenalized, I wouldn't be suprised to see ALMS turn into nascar and having several more incidents like this where people might get hurt. The potential for an injury skyrockets if there's one or more of these incidents every race and that's what seems will eventually happen.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Jay_LHD3

I agree that putting someone in the wall is not what racing should be about. I think this crash looked a lot worse than it was.

Magnusson should have never pushed him in the last corner with the finish line being that close. It didn't matter that the corvette was faster, anyone would have been faster than the guy breaking for two cars (his and the one pushing him). The lap before he had to give the lead back to Jorg.

I think that is why the Corvette Team took this with a grin, saying that it was two good teams, two good cars, and two good drivers.

This was a track for the Porsche. The Corvette dominated the last five race tracks and they should have taken their second place finish without the drama.

I think that everyone else is going to have to step up to compete with the corvettes next year.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
I think that everyone else is going to have to step up to compete with the corvettes next year.
I think so too. I just hope that they don't have to watch their backs for corvettes using tactics that extreme if they're going to be passed since it's "ok" to put someone in the wall and take them out of the race like that.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
Quote:

I don't see how he had it coming when the proshce pushed him into the dirt on turn 2 of that lap? that love tap was nothing compaired to ramming him into the wall and costing him the entire race

I finally got to watch that now... I'd be SO pissed off i was just pissed watching it stupid ass porsche can't race fair. C6.R>Porsche
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
Jay_LHD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPOAJ View Post
I don't see how he had it coming when the proshce pushed him into the dirt on turn 2 of that lap? that love tap was nothing compaired to ramming him into the wall and costing him the entire race

I finally got to watch that now... I'd be SO pissed off i was just pissed watching it stupid ass porsche can't race fair. C6.R>Porsche
I'm referring to the entire race not just the last 2 laps! One hour into the race the #4 corvette drives straight into turn one like a kamikaze pilot, putting three cars in the gravel. To say he forgot that he did not have CF brakes anymore after being in this new class for the last five races...

The Flying Lizard Team normally goes through a entire race without causing incidents on the track. That is why they win the championship year after year. I think this time they just had enough of one team being a bully on the track. I like the Corvette Team (exciting to watch) but they have been bullies in this series from year one. (Even racing against each other #3 vs. #4 car.)

That might be why nobody was left in GT1 class to race against. j/k