Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
jamesc1123

Drives: CGM 2SS RS w/ white stripes
Cam Install Questions

I was flipping through the service manual and going through the ls1howto on the cam installation and was wondering if those of you that have done an install:
Did you use a flywheel locking tool on the LS3?
Did you use the front cover alignment tool?
Did you use the timing chain tensioner retaining pin tool?
Did you use the GM crankshaft oil seal installer or else what did you use to install it?
jamesc1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
DanD

Drives: 6 camaros
no
1968 383 Camaro
1968 327 Camaro Convertible
1967 RS 327
1967 Pro-Tour LS3 in progress
DanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
GrinderSS
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesc1123 View Post
I was flipping through the service manual and going through the ls1howto on the cam installation and was wondering if those of you that have done an install:
Did you use the GM crankshaft oil seal installer or else what did you use to install it?

1) If you have a strong enough impact gun you don't need that. I used a 1/2" High Torque impact gun driven by 175 psi air pressure. You can also place a crow bar in the spokes of the dampener pulley and lock it in place against the frame of the car to prevent the crank from turning. Though, there is a slight chance you could damage the dampener doing it this way.

2) No

3) No

4) No, I used a piece of PVC pipe that was the same diameter as the seal and tapped it in place. If you're car doesn't have many miles on it you may not need to replace that seal.
GrinderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesc1123 View Post
1). If you do not have access to a air compressor and impact gun, then you will need this tool or a creative way to break free the crank bolt. I suggest using air!

2). No need for the front cover tool, just take your time and make certain the gasket seats properly on install.

3). It is easiest to use this pin tool, however you can get away with *a paper clip* or some small firm pin that fits in nicely. I use a timing belt retaining pin from a Mitsubishi timing tensioner, it works excellent.

4). For the front main seal, just make sure you press the seal in evenly an you will be fine, use a socket of similar size or something along those lines.

Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
jamesc1123

Drives: CGM 2SS RS w/ white stripes
Thanks for the help guys. IPS Brandon, I'm still impressed at your desire as a vendor to help us out. I'll probably have to buy some more parts from you one of these days. Project is on hold for the time being. I grenaded my rear axle on my truck, so I gotta get that fixed before I can put the Camaro down for a couple days.
Lesson learned: if you think you need to replace your wheel bearings, it probably needs to happen sooner rather than later.
jamesc1123 is offline   Reply With Quote