Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
VaderSS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 6sp
Dealer polish job - Would you let them try to fix it?

When I bought my 2010 Camaro, I noticed some light swirling in the clearcoat. Dealer promised to correct by polishing. Below pictures are the results of their "work".....actually worse than when I brought it to them.

Would you let them touch your car again after this experience? I've not worked on the Camaro's with a PC, but I'm pretty handy with one. Just not sure I want to spend the number of hours it would take to correct.

VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
I would never let the dealers touch my paint... I did once, and they RUINED my door....

bunch of incompetent boobs!

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
JHL88

Drives: 02 z06
no, dont do it. you're better off finding an actual detailer locally if you dont feel like doing it yourself
2002 torch redc5z06 - sold :(
'13 z71 4x4 - DD

www.fquick.com/JHL88
JHL88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Ginnalou

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT/RS !!!!!
Why is it soooo hard for people to do the right thing.....I would be so #$%#ing mad!!! How is that ever going to right? Good luck to you!
Ginnalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Just Say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
cruznls
cruznls

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Cool

Looks like the "Shop Boy" strikes again...
Get a second opinion from another body shop.......
cruznls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'm confused. If that's how they turned it over to you, why would you think next time would be better?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Make sure whoever does it does not mess up the plastic front and rear bumpers with a buffer, its so thin that it will heat up and melt the plastic under the paint. It happened to me, i would hand polish the plastic parts ( front and rear bumpers ). Unless a real expert can do it with the buffer. The guy that did mine was very good on the metal but f'd up a couple spots on the the front bumper by the mail slot. I have never seen anything like that happen, it looked like it just wrinkled the paint but did not burn it.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
Make sure whoever does it does not mess up the plastic front and rear bumpers with a buffer, its so thin that it will heat up and melt the plastic under the paint. It happened to me, i would hand polish the plastic parts ( front and rear bumpers ). Unless a real expert can do it with the buffer. The guy that did mine was very good on the metal but f'd up a couple spots on the the front bumper by the mail slot. I have never seen anything like that happen, it looked like it just wrinkled the paint but did not burn it.
This is what happens when a hack with no know how gets a hold of a rotary buffer, a wool pad and some God awful aggressive buffing compound. They turn the buffer up to a speed that is way to fast and whammo... instant burn.

This is why I stress so much that you need to start out with a tool that won't create damage even if you are careless (the PC-7424XP). You won't fix some jacked up paint with it very fast, but you will never have to worry about burning through a urethane bumper like what you see in that picture. Some dealerships employ some of the worst hacks on the planet. They are often high school or college students who have been taught how to use a rotary polisher in about 15 minutes.

To the OP, most of those scratches are from improper washing, not the polisher.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post

I hope they plan on repairing it for you
Old 05-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
VaderSS

I hear you, AJ. I'm a multiple bucket freak when it comes to washing. Separate buckets and wash pad for wheels, rinse buckets refilled...heck, I even use a third mf wash pad for the lower sections/rockers. I just wanted the clear coat to start out right so I can use my pc for maintenance. (btw, i am kcjeff from cf). In your experience with gen 5 Camaros, do you think the pc will correct this damage....without spending 8+ hours on it?

This dealership did a very nice job wet sanding and polishing a friends 09 vette. They have at least one person with the right skills. Maybe they gave my car to the new guy or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
To the OP, most of those scratches are from improper washing, not the polisher.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
What's up Jeff! I thought I remembered seeing a thread where you sold the Vette. You ended up at a very cool forum. These guys and gals are the bees knees.

The paint will still take a little work with the PC just because of the nature of the PC's true orbital action. But one thing that I can put your mind at ease on, the clear coat is NOTHING like the C5. That stuff is murder to correct.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
VaderSS

Update: Dealer called me today after reviewing the above pictures. They characterized the swirls as "normal spider-webbing that happens with black paint". Said they could "fix it", but it would only be temporary...the problem would return when the car was washed. Evidently, they don't understand the difference between correcting the clear coat damage and simply hiding it with wax fill. Nor do they understand how to wash cars without scratching them. Fortunately, I do.

They wanted me to bring the car back to them so they could look at it in-person; determine the problem and "fix it". I declined. Taking the car to a high-end collision repair center tomorrow for a repair estimate. I get the feeling they are going to fill their pants when I send them the bill. We'll see how willing they are to reimburse (said they would). More time; more hassle; but I gotta get this done right.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
Sadly now a days if you want something done right you have to do it yourself
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote