Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
TNPred

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro SS/RS
ZL1 (1LE) Short Throw Shifter

I like what I hear about the ZL1 shifter to upgrade the stock shifter on my 2011 SS, but I have a few issues. Mainly the ZL1 shifter will not work with the stock boot and knob, and the ZL1 boot and knob only come in red. I need white stitching to match the rest of the car. It looks like the 1LE will have a ZL1 shifter, which brings me to question 1: Does anyone have any insight on the possibility of white stitching for the 1LE knob and boot?

Along those lines, question 2: With the shift knobs being redesigned all around for the 2013's, does anyone know if the changes are just to the knob? Hoping that maybe I can get a 2013 M6 boot and knob to fit a ZL1 shifter.

Finally question 3: How does the Hurst OEM short throw compare to the ZL1 shifter? I know it is an entire assembly and costs considerably more, but if its performance was comparable it could save me this headache.

Answers to any or all of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm aware of MGW, Barton and the like, I'm just trying to sort out OEM options to weigh against aftermarket.
TNPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Unfortunately I can't answer any of your questions about knobs and stitching, but I am going to order a ZL1 shifter assembly today. I personaly don't like the new shift knob, so my plan is to make my stock 2010 knob work with the ZL1 stick.

Interested to see what others have installed this shifter in place of an SS think?

*EDIT* Just got off the phone w/ the local dealer parts dept and ordered the ZL1 shifter assembly. My price $142, coming straight from Michigan, should be here next week.

*EDIT 2* I've been doing some searching and read that it's comparable to the factory Hurst as far as throws go... Some said it seems very smooth also. A person that I PM'ed on another forum that just had the ZL1 shifter installed leads me to believe that it also has centering springs, which the factory Hurst, and OE SS shifter do not... I can't wait to get it! Compare the price of the ZL1 shifter at just under $190 gm list price, vs the Hurst shifter at over $850 gm list price if it's anywhere close to the Hurst, it's a hell of a deal for a factory piece... Makes me think that you are just paying for the name on the Hurst.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 08-01-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
TNPred

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro SS/RS
I got tired of waiting and I had a gift card for half of the price, so I picked up the aftermarket Hurst this week for $100 and installed it today, putting the factory knob and boot back on. I have to say, so far I'm loving the really short throws (shortest you can get I believe). My only worry now is the wobble people have experienced. Time will tell, and by the time it wears out some sort of ZL1/1LE solution should be sorted out to my liking.
TNPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Unfortunately I can't answer any of your questions about knobs and stitching, but I am going to order a ZL1 shifter assembly today. I personaly don't like the new shift knob, so my plan is to make my stock 2010 knob work with the ZL1 stick.

Interested to see what others have installed this shifter in place of an SS think?

*EDIT* Just got off the phone w/ the local dealer parts dept and ordered the ZL1 shifter assembly. My price $142, coming straight from Michigan, should be here next week.

*EDIT 2* I've been doing some searching and read that it's comparable to the factory Hurst as far as throws go... Some said it seems very smooth also. A person that I PM'ed on another forum that just had the ZL1 shifter installed leads me to believe that it also has centering springs, which the factory Hurst, and OE SS shifter do not... I can't wait to get it! Compare the price of the ZL1 shifter at just under $190 gm list price, vs the Hurst shifter at over $850 gm list price if it's anywhere close to the Hurst, it's a hell of a deal for a factory piece... Makes me think that you are just paying for the name on the Hurst.
I used your DIY for shifter mod. It works perfect. ThAnks.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
2008yellow

Drives: 2013 blue
factory Hurst is under $400
2008yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPred View Post
I got tired of waiting and I had a gift card for half of the price, so I picked up the aftermarket Hurst this week for $100 and installed it today, putting the factory knob and boot back on. I have to say, so far I'm loving the really short throws (shortest you can get I believe). My only worry now is the wobble people have experienced. Time will tell, and by the time it wears out some sort of ZL1/1LE solution should be sorted out to my liking.
I would say my MGW is a little shorter and is definatley smoother with a better spring load to it. Then again you replace the whole shifting mechanism with the MGW so it's alot more of an install.

For the money you spent you got a great deal. Hurst is good expecially when speed shifting. It was the normal every day driving that I felt was to clunky for me. I used the chrome handle instead of the stock knob and I felt it was just a tad too high as well. I had the Hurst for about a week and sold it off for the MGM.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
HernDog

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
Any updates? Would like to hear from those who installed the ZL1 shifter. Thanks!
HernDog is offline   Reply With Quote