Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #15
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I learned several good things from Matt.
I was probably instrumental in him leaving.

Someone came on here who had scratched their windshield using an sos pad on it. They admitted when posting they realized it was a mistake. This person stated they had a black & decker polisher. Wanted advice on fixing the scratch.

I did about 3 hours of research before making a recommendation. The machine was capable of 2000 opm's max.

Cerium oxide products will remove scratches, (this is what Matt recommended). His statement to the OP was to try it but he couldn't be sure it would work because he "cheaped out" on the machine.

Cerium Oxide on an orbital machine requires an opm rating of at least 6000. I discovered this in research.

I had many years ago used as a temporary fix, cleaner wax which will fill light scratches on windshields with several coats. I searched every video on you tube I could find and even found one doing this process with a machine just like the OP had.

Matt told the OP I was misinformed that wax wouldn't work.

I realize this was not a permanent solution, and I even stated this in posting, but based on what the OP stated he had to work with, it was the best solution in his case IMO.

I told Matt despite all his good advice, telling someone, "here try this, I don't know if it will work because your cheap." was downright rude, and he comes back with "stop blowing up my inbox for advice?"

I had asked him maybe 6 questions in 3 months and I'm "blowing up his inbox"?

Sometimes the best solution may not work for someone who doesn't have the proper equipment to use a product. Putting someone down because of a piece of equipment they bought? What positive is that going to accomplish?

Matt does know more than the average person about detailing. Does that give him the right to put down someone else's advice, while only offering a solution that he obviously spent no time researching, because he would have known the OP's machine wouldn't work with cerium oxide if he had.

I don't care how good you are at something, it doesn't give you the right to be rude to someone else who seeks help. Or "knock" a process that you have never tried, while offering one that won't work in the OP's case.

That aside, he offered a lot of good advice to a lot of people. It's his choice to continue or not.
IMO over the years from dropping in and reading some of the threads, Matt gave some very solid advice based on his opinion, experience, knowledge and interpretation of resolving paint and cleaning issues. NOBODY is perfect, but he, IMO, genuinely gave honest and concise advice based on the information he was given. It's quite possible he was having a stressful day, week, month? Maybe he just needs a break?!

Old 04-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #16
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
Yea I'm pretty sure he's not going to come back to the forum.

Too many people have burned him here, after providing so much support and time he still gets the few that come along that are complete assholes, especially after asking from his help previously. Don't blame him.
I doubt he really left with his tail in between his legs because his feelings were hurt the way you described it.

If anything, dude just left because he just left. Probably got tired of answering the same questions over and over again. Someone once tried comparing Turtle Wax to one of his recommended products (newb didn't know any better) and he laughed it off.

So it's not that serious, it's the internet.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Too bad. Left right before I came back
Seriously, would have had a good crew going on here again, with Charlie too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I learned several good things from Matt.
I was probably instrumental in him leaving.

Someone came on here who had scratched their windshield using an sos pad on it. They admitted when posting they realized it was a mistake. This person stated they had a black & decker polisher. Wanted advice on fixing the scratch.

I did about 3 hours of research before making a recommendation. The machine was capable of 2000 opm's max.

Cerium oxide products will remove scratches, (this is what Matt recommended). His statement to the OP was to try it but he couldn't be sure it would work because he "cheaped out" on the machine.

Cerium Oxide on an orbital machine requires an opm rating of at least 6000. I discovered this in research.

I had many years ago used as a temporary fix, cleaner wax which will fill light scratches on windshields with several coats. I searched every video on you tube I could find and even found one doing this process with a machine just like the OP had.

Matt told the OP I was misinformed that wax wouldn't work.

I realize this was not a permanent solution, and I even stated this in posting, but based on what the OP stated he had to work with, it was the best solution in his case IMO.

I told Matt despite all his good advice, telling someone, "here try this, I don't know if it will work because your cheap." was downright rude, and he comes back with "stop blowing up my inbox for advice?"

I had asked him maybe 6 questions in 3 months and I'm "blowing up his inbox"?

Sometimes the best solution may not work for someone who doesn't have the proper equipment to use a product. Putting someone down because of a piece of equipment they bought? What positive is that going to accomplish?

Matt does know more than the average person about detailing. Does that give him the right to put down someone else's advice, while only offering a solution that he obviously spent no time researching, because he would have known the OP's machine wouldn't work with cerium oxide if he had.

I don't care how good you are at something, it doesn't give you the right to be rude to someone else who seeks help. Or "knock" a process that you have never tried, while offering one that won't work in the OP's case.

That aside, he offered a lot of good advice to a lot of people. It's his choice to continue or not.
Give it a break... Come on. Matt was speaking the truth, and telling the guy upfront. You have a cheap polisher so you may not get results. He wasn't putting anyone down, it was the reality of the situation. If that's rude... I'll just leave it at that.

Um... 6 questions is an understatement. Matt showed me the PM's, there's a solid 15 that I counted. There's nothing wrong with asking him questions privately and seeking that advice. But seeking that advice and him taking the time to assist you, then turn around and dismiss him publicly and discredit him is low.

See what the difference between you and Matt is that Matt is an expert in this field. He knows every angle of detailing, has had tried pretty much every product out there worth trying and has had vendors send him free samples to get his opinion. You on the other hand have "researched" online and gathered your knowledge that way. Matt ran a detailing business for a time and gained his experience through actual trial and error with the craft. You may not see a difference there, but there are people in the world that learn by failure and retry and those that read a book and are self-enlightened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
I doubt he really left with his tail in between his legs because his feelings were hurt the way you described it.

If anything, dude just left because he just left. Probably got tired of answering the same questions over and over again. Someone once tried comparing Turtle Wax to one of his recommended products (newb didn't know any better) and he laughed it off.

So it's not that serious, it's the internet.
I'm not saying he left with his tails in between his legs. I'm saying he left with the "**** it" attitude because of all the shit that happens here.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #18
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
I'm not saying he left with his tails in between his legs. I'm saying he left with the "**** it" attitude because of all the shit that happens here.
I'm sure he'll show up. People were way worse to TheJunkman2000 and he still pops up every now and then.

Heck, Junkman2000 made like 1 month worth of detailing and car cleaning videos, people still gave him crap about it and he still shows up here.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Matt's recommended products list is great.

I switched to his recommended polishes and pads and am very happy. His advice about less is more when it comes to polish really is true.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #20
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Where did Mr. Fish go off too? He used to be here all the time too

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #21
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Give it a break... Come on. Matt was speaking the truth, and telling the guy upfront. You have a cheap polisher so you may not get results. He wasn't putting anyone down, it was the reality of the situation. If that's rude... I'll just leave it at that.

Um... 6 questions is an understatement. Matt showed me the PM's, there's a solid 15 that I counted. There's nothing wrong with asking him questions privately and seeking that advice. But seeking that advice and him taking the time to assist you, then turn around and dismiss him publicly and discredit him is low.

See what the difference between you and Matt is that Matt is an expert in this field. He knows every angle of detailing, has had tried pretty much every product out there worth trying and has had vendors send him free samples to get his opinion. You on the other hand have "researched" online and gathered your knowledge that way. Matt ran a detailing business for a time and gained his experience through actual trial and error with the craft. You may not see a difference there, but there are people in the world that learn by failure and retry and those that read a book and are self-enlightened.

You have it all wrong.

1st. Yes the machine the OP bought was incapable of fixing scratches in windshields, is their a need to add insult to injury? Have you ever taken the time to read the posting rules? This is rule #1.

) Respect & Be Helpful — By far, the most important rule here. Generations of GM enthusiasts have come together through a shared passion for the car and the community, so the golden rule applies: Treat others as you wish to be treated. This means no foul language, insults, or rude remarks towards other members.

We’re here as a family of enthusiasts, and we should act accordingly. And since the site is constantly gaining new members, please go out of your way to help answer others’ questions in an effort to make this an even better community. Shunning new members’ questions or rudely telling others to “search for it” is extremely discouraged.

2nd. I'm sure in these 15 you claim there may have been a few extra replies about the same question, in fact I know there was.

A private message should be just that "private". I would never share anyone's PM with someone else before contacting that member to request permission first. I think that's called integrity.

3. I am not a professional detailer and never claimed to be one. I have however been using compound, polish, and wax since 1981. I based the "wax" recommendation on what the OP had to work with. How did I know it would (temporarily) work? I had done it before several times many years ago by hand. We didn't have DA polishers then.

I never once claimed to have the extensive use of products that Matt has. But for you to imply that my only "experience" is read? After 37 years of being an "amateur", I have learned a couple things. But I'm not here for a "who's the best detailer" contest. I'm here to learn and help if I can.

4) The OP in this case again stated he had a Black & Decker polisher and didn't list a model number. In research I found the same machine he had. Do you know what the specs are on every single Black & Decker polisher are?
I didn't, so I researched. First I had to figure out which one it was solely based on price the OP stated he paid. Then had to go through the one's they make in this range, then narrow it down to 2 they made, and the one that made the most sense was the one he had.

Cerium Oxide on an orbital polisher that only creates 2000 opm cannot remove scratches from glass. OK so what can it do? Apply wax.

I searched for a long time to find a video with a machine similar to the one the OP had, to best help him with his issue based on what he had to work with.

Why did I take all the time to do this? I felt genuinely bad for the guy. He had made a mistake and damaged his windshield. There was no need to add insult to injury by calling him "cheap".

I have made many mistakes over the years when it comes to detailing, so I know how the OP felt. Instead of calling him a name I tried to support and help him, because after all, isn't that what we all should be trying to do for each other?

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 04-25-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #22
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
UGH ................... I thought this was just a happy...bring on the summer...gonna detail thread by Muscle Car Lover. I need a beer!!!
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
Old 04-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #23
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Where did Mr. Fish go off too? He used to be here all the time too
You never know when I'll pop up and surprise you.

Keep up the good work with the videos you'll always be one of the good guys Roshan.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #24
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

I would agree with this. I consider Matt a friend and know that neither he or myself for that matter need more drama in our life ( I have three women at home that's enough ).

I'm sure Matt still lurks in here like many do and although adding to this community can be satisfying, it at times can be time consuming and we all have a lot going on.

Regardless, I still enjoy this forum and will continue to post from time to time when I feel I can add value. I still consider myself a hobbiest and will always be willing to learn and appreciate the opinions that others have with regard to process as well as product.

Cheers boys its martini time.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #25
itsnotacrisis

Drives: '13 2LT RS,Blue Ray Metallic/mojave
I never met Matt, actually spoke to him, or have even PM'ed him. I have posted in some of his threads, mostly to thank him for all the time and effort he obviously put in to share his detailing experience and advice. I only know of him because of this forum. I respect Matt for two primary reasons:
1.) His recommendations and advice were based on his own real life experience. He actually used the techniques and products he discussed, and wasn't swayed by brand name loyalty. The products and techniques that I have used, that were recommended by him, have all worked better than I could have hoped. 100% of the time.
2.) His straight shooter, no holds barred, "tough luck if you don't like it" attitude was refreshing to see. I also enjoyed his sense of humor. I, for one, would rather have someone give me a tough straight answer, than try to dilute the facts and truth to protect my potential over-sensitivity. Sometimes the truth hurts. Get over it, move on, just don't whine about it.

Not sure why Matt left this forum. To be honest, it's his business, so I won't mind it for him. His absence is this forum's loss though, no doubt.

Respect Matt.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #26
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
You never know when I'll pop up and surprise you.

Keep up the good work with the videos you'll always be one of the good guys Roshan.
haha good to see you again, my friend!

Thanks, as always! Hope the ZL1 is treating you right

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 04-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #27
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Matt was a great resource on this forum, and we have all lost something by his leaving.

Everything I know about detailing came from his suggestions, followed by my trial and error, followed by further personal advice from Matt. I am no professional, but I can say I have some really good knowledge and strong detailing skills because of his help and guidance.

As for the upset feelings in here, this is just the trend I see these days. People are just too sensitive and read too much in to things. People have to take in to account that a lot is lost when you are not having a face to face conversation and words can be misconstrued, along with the fact he offered free help and advice to so many for a long time.

Some people just love drama though, so this is just a fact of life.

Thanks for everything Matt!!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #28
itsnotacrisis

Drives: '13 2LT RS,Blue Ray Metallic/mojave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Matt was a great resource on this forum, and we have all lost something by his leaving.

Everything I know about detailing came from his suggestions, followed by my trial and error, followed by further personal advice from Matt. I am no professional, but I can say I have some really good knowledge and strong detailing skills because of his help and guidance.

As for the upset feelings in here, this is just the trend I see these days. People are just too sensitive and read too much in to things. People have to take in to account that a lot is lost when you are not having a face to face conversation and words can be misconstrued, along with the fact he offered free help and advice to so many for a long time.

Some people just love drama though, so this is just a fact of life.

Thanks for everything Matt!!

Closed Thread