Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #113
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
The argument that it will be great if only it were modified, to me, is an admission that it is not that good as is. (The car would be great if only it were different).

At the very least, it sets the bar pretty low. If the mark of a good car is how great it could be once modified, then I give you one of the best cars ever made based on that definition:

A little paint and some drivetrain work (replacement) and it was spot on

Vegas I absolutely loved the car and sure wished it would not of had its shortcomings
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #114
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
The argument that it will be great if only it were modified, to me, is an admission that it is not that good as is. (The car would be great if only it were different).

At the very least, it sets the bar pretty low. If the mark of a good car is how great it could be once modified, then I give you one of the best cars ever made based on that definition:

OEM engineers have a lot more to consider other than just balls out performance. They are always working with one hand tied behind their back for many reasons. Most vehicles that are actually affordable fall into the category of being "good" but can be made "great" through the aftermarket. I would argue that the 5th Gen Camaro and S-197 Mustang are two perfect examples of this.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #115
05stram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
OEM engineers have a lot more to consider other than just balls out performance. They are always working with one hand tied behind their back for many reasons. Most vehicles that are actually affordable fall into the category of being "good" but can be made "great" through the aftermarket. I would argue that the 5th Gen Camaro and S-197 Mustang are two perfect examples of this.

So you are saying that without the aftermarket these cars are not great?

Most people who buy cars are not looking to get their seat material pinched between their ass cheeks when they step on the throttle or care about when they turn the corner the curb pulls free. The enthusiast community is somewhat larger than it was years ago but still I contend your statement is not accurate as the Camaro as it comes off the lot seems to be suiting millions of people as is.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #116
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
So you are saying that without the aftermarket these cars are not great?

Most people who buy cars are not looking to get their seat material pinched between their ass cheeks when they step on the throttle or care about when they turn the corner the curb pulls free. The enthusiast community is somewhat larger than it was years ago but still I contend your statement is not accurate as the Camaro as it comes off the lot seems to be suiting millions of people as is.
I completely agree. And the Tremor will suit plenty of people with zero modification as well. But it will be a lot more fun with some upgrades. I am saying that they have a lot more potential than what the OEM engineers were allowed to develop. Same is true with most cars. Doesn't mean that they are crap, like was asserted a few posts ago.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #117
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
I completely agree. And the Tremor will suit plenty of people with zero modification as well. But it will be a lot more fun with some upgrades. I am saying that they have a lot more potential than what the OEM engineers were allowed to develop. Same is true with most cars. Doesn't mean that they are crap, like was asserted a few posts ago.
this same character you're responding to will say an L99 requires a tune to be fun..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #118
05stram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
this same character you're responding to will say an L99 requires a tune to be fun..

Why would I say that? You do not know me so why the cheap shot?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #119
05stram

Quote:
I got what you are saying now. Without the aftermarket I agree lots of nice rides could not be had. I love some of the body modifications and some of the engine work but for me I am a stock sort of person.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #120
KMK454

Drives: 91 B4C Camaro
The solution to this is already in GM's inventory... all they need to do is allow a more "piecemeal" approach to how we can option out their trucks. Right now, consumers are held hostage by options "packages." If I want leather seats, I have to get at least the LT Z71 and then get a value pack; I don't want all the other options of the packages, I just want an LT with leather seats and mechanical adjustments. If I want the 6.2, I have to get the LTZ Z71 with even more stuff I don't want.
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #121
05stram

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK454 View Post
The solution to this is already in GM's inventory... all they need to do is allow a more "piecemeal" approach to how we can option out their trucks. Right now, consumers are held hostage by options "packages." If I want leather seats, I have to get at least the LT Z71 and then get a value pack; I don't want all the other options of the packages, I just want an LT with leather seats and mechanical adjustments. If I want the 6.2, I have to get the LTZ Z71 with even more stuff I don't want.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #122
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

Seriously whats up with that?

All the manufacturers do it, but why? I can understand some high end options only being available on the "top" trims but if why can't I get leather seats without getting a higher trim and an option package
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #123
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
This. The parts are on the shelf. All they have to do is let you put them together.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #124
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Seriously whats up with that?

All the manufacturers do it, but why? I can understand some high end options only being available on the "top" trims but if why can't I get leather seats without getting a higher trim and an option package
Because accountants believe it increases the bottom line. Reduces the number of possible combinations in manufacturing and they believe it increases the average purchase price. If you want a certain feature they get to sell you two or three others just to get it.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #125
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
I agree. GM needs to break up their options more. Ford is better at this with their trucks. I got everything I wanted on a base F150 RCSB and nothing I didn't.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #126
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Because accountants believe it increases the bottom line. Reduces the number of possible combinations in manufacturing and they believe it increases the average purchase price. If you want a certain feature they get to sell you two or three others just to get it.
Clearly, someone in GM has put together a sales model that suggests they will make more money selling more options to people who don't want all of them than they will miss out on making from sales going to a competitor who may offer a more a-la-carte options list.

I'll also point out an additional trend somewhat along those lines which is finding ways to raise prices, and then extending the payment plan an extra year to keep the payments the same each month. An unsettling number of buyers look only at their monthly payment and nothing else on the sales contract, and some have no idea what they are actually paying for their car. Bundling often unrelated options together in large packages is tailor-made for that type of finance/sales tactic.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote