Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #29
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Yes, i like it way better than the straightpipes.
I have to give you credit, I have never heard of anyone doing that before.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:57 AM   #30
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
The x pipe adds back pressure, thus eliminating the drone....do this ^^^^

Negative.

I have an X Pipe and it drones pretty bad.

Muffler design has a lot to do with it.

Resonators help, too.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #31
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
I have the full Kooks 3in exhaust with Kooks headers.

That mofo drones pretty bad at somewhere around 2k rpm's at 68-70mph in 6th gear.

I bought two Kooks R300-14 3in bullet race mufflers to weld in the back half of the X Pipe.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...0-14/overview/

The Caddy CTS-V guys do it that way and it works for them. Hope it works for me too!

Just look at posts like this over there: https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/6-e...-mufflers.html
Well I bought a couple of these myself to install in my Flowmaster Outlaw dual quad 3 inch cat back system, they will be here tomorrow and installed Saturday, will let ya all know how they work..
Old 09-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #32
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
I have the full Kooks 3in exhaust with Kooks headers.

That mofo drones pretty bad at somewhere around 2k rpm's at 68-70mph in 6th gear.

I bought two Kooks R300-14 3in bullet race mufflers to weld in the back half of the X Pipe.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...0-14/overview/

The Caddy CTS-V guys do it that way and it works for them. Hope it works for me too!

Just look at posts like this over there: https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/6-e...-mufflers.html
Hey there, any updates on your install of these Kooks mufflers? Gonna put the car on the racks today to see if even I have enough room behind the x to install these. It says they are 19.5 inches O.A length and the case is only 14 inches, so hopefully we can cut some of the tubing off to get them to fit. Couldn't tell from the pics of my system and can't get under the car to see. Will let you guys know later. Cheers..
Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #33
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Hey there, any updates on your install of these Kooks mufflers? Gonna put the car on the racks today to see if even I have enough room behind the x to install these. It says they are 19.5 inches O.A length and the case is only 14 inches, so hopefully we can cut some of the tubing off to get them to fit. Couldn't tell from the pics of my system and can't get under the car to see. Will let you guys know later. Cheers..
I'm waiting on my buddy to get done with some other cars before he can get to mine.

69 Camaro 6.0 TT: http://streetntrack.net/topic/2613-6...0e-twin-turbo/

A 9sec corwn vic with turbo 5.3: http://streetntrack.net/topic/2602-c...oll-bar-build/

His 10 sec CTSV: http://streetntrack.net/topic/2232-w...th-more-cts-v/

The Kooks R300-14 are more like 16 inches at the start of the case where it slopes to the pipe.

OAL is about 20.25 inches, but that 3in pipe can be trimmed down since they're about 2 inches from the weld to end on each side for 4 total inches that can trimmed down.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
FIC ID1300x Injectors
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
HP Tuners VCM Suite

Last edited by John_C; 09-20-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #34
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Does it blow flames out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Yes, i like it way better than the straightpipes.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #35
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
I'm waiting on my buddy to get done with some other cars before he can get to mine.

69 Camaro 6.0 TT: http://streetntrack.net/topic/2613-6...0e-twin-turbo/

A 9sec corwn vic with turbo 5.3: http://streetntrack.net/topic/2602-c...oll-bar-build/

His 10 sec CTSV: http://streetntrack.net/topic/2232-w...th-more-cts-v/

The Kooks R300-14 are more like 16 inches at the start of the case where it slopes to the pipe.

OAL is about 20.25 inches, but that 3in pipe can be trimmed down since they're about 2 inches from the weld to end on each side for 4 total inches that can trimmed down.
Thanks for the get back. Yea I had the car up on the rack this morning and I don't know, it's gonna be a tight fit, might even hit the floor due to the diameter of the mufflers, just got them and they are pretty stout, plus the 3 inch tubing in my system starts to bend where we would need to install the mufflers, the drivers side might not be an issue but the passenger side tubing starts to bend outward before the spot where it should be welded in, it doesn't go straight back like the Caddy's system does. But we will see, my exhaust guy is pretty good at creating systems, he's an "old school" guy that I have known for a long time. Will keep you posted. Thanks. Oh by the way, very nice rides your friend is working on!!!

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 09-20-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Forgot something
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #36
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Thanks for the get back. Yea I had the car up on the rack this morning and I don't know, it's gonna be a tight fit, might even hit the floor due to the diameter of the mufflers, just got them and they are pretty stout, plus the 3 inch tubing in my system starts to bend where we would need to install the mufflers, the drivers side might not be an issue but the passenger side tubing starts to bend outward before the spot where it should be welded in, it doesn't go straight back like the Caddy's system does. But we will see, my exhaust guy is pretty good at creating systems, he's an "old school" guy that I have known for a long time. Will keep you posted. Thanks. Oh by the way, very nice rides your friend is working on!!!
My outlaw system was so bad I took it off and returned it to Amazon (I got my money back). Sucked because it did sound good in certain situations but the droning while driving and sitting at a light was stupid.

I did call SOLO up and they said they would do a custom 3" system with J pipes for 1095.00, i might do it but Im not sure if I want to gamble that kind money when im happy with my NPP
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #37
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Quote:
Make sure to take lots of pics along the way because I need ideas.

I can't take this much drone because I daily drive it.

I can't hear my radio, hard to talk on the phone, and crap vibrates.

Exhaust gets buzzy because it vibrates it's way over and touches the passengers side suspension, too.

That and I stopped wearing ear plugs and now I feel I've lost more hearing. lol
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
FIC ID1300x Injectors
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
HP Tuners VCM Suite
Old 09-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #38
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
After all kinds of exhaust setups I bought myself a Corsa Xtreme 3 inch catback. Zero drone and fantastic sound . Its loud but its a good loud. There is the Corsa Sport thats not as loud and is drone free. Spend a bit more and get a quality exhaust with no drone and be done with it
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:51 AM   #39
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
After all kinds of exhaust setups I bought myself a Corsa Xtreme 3 inch catback. Zero drone and fantastic sound . Its loud but its a good loud. There is the Corsa Sport thats not as loud and is drone free. Spend a bit more and get a quality exhaust with no drone and be done with it
I had full Corsa resonated catback with BBK o/r connection pipes. I did like the sound with no cats and there was no drone.

But the overall quality, fit and finish of the Kooks stuff is much better. Aside from the drone, it sounds sick and I love it. I get more complements with it than I did with the Corsa.

Plus...

My Corsa passengers side muffler used to always push itself off the connection pipe under the IRS. One day it almost fell completely off. The pipe was a tad too short and the clamp wasn't good enough at the connection to hold it on with that issue.

That said, I spent well over $3k on this Kooks exhaust.

I have stepped LT's to 3in collectors with wideband bung all Jet Hot Ceramic coated with Stage 8 locking header bolts.

I have the 3in race cat connection pipes and the 3in off road race connection pipes.

True 3in Kooks X pipe

True 3in Kooks pipes under IRS

True 3in Kooks mufflers with 4in outlets.

About to add another $220 worth of mufflers with the pair of R300-14 bullet race mufflers to try and get the drone under control.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
FIC ID1300x Injectors
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
HP Tuners VCM Suite
Old 10-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #40
1JEWLDSSRS

Well John_c, finally made it up to the exhaust shop and just as I thought, these mufflers will not fit in my 3 inch catback. First the mid pipes after the x are too close to the floor and the mufflers being 5 inch diameter they would hit the floor in the tranny tunnel, then they would also be to close to each other and touch there as well and rattle. So sending them back to Summit and try something else. I like the quad tip look and just can't seem to find many mufflers that have them, don't want to go back to the single tip look again. My buddy with a 2013 ZL1 wants to trade his stock cat back for my because he says it is not loud enough, but it is a 2.5 inch system and don't want to go back there either. The car seems to run better with the 3 inch on it. So still looking.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #41
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
Drone

Every time drone gets mentioned j pipes are offered as a solution. Why is it that people spend hundreds on new exhaust, add on mufflers that dont perform the way they want. j pipes eliminate the drone without changing your exhaust sound. Its such a simple solution. It seems that people want a bolt on rather than welded.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #42
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Well Ron, I'm looking into that Corsa Sport catback like you suggested for the ZL1's since I have the ZL1 Flowmaster Outlaw catback on there, hoping it will be a bit quieter and they advertise like you said, NO DRONE. Don't get me wrong I really like what I have now, get all kinds of compliments on it, but it is just way to loud and I have been lucky so far the police haven't bothered me yet, or my neighbors. lol. But the drone is really bad at certain speeds and I want to quiet it down some and get rid of that. Going to call Corsa tomorrow and talk to them. Thanks for the suggestion.