Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
"OC"

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Big change in MPG after CAI, need advice...

Since installing the CAI w/ Scoop there has been a 3-5 MPG drop in the Camaro. I have used a CAI before in past vehicles but only noticed a 1 MPG change if any.
Since installation, there has been no change in driving habits other than the standard spirited driving which I was getting 17-18 MPG with city driving...now I'm at 13-14 MPG since install (if I'm being nice).
The only thing really to change though is the weather. We've been between 85-90 but have started cooling down to 70 in the AM and 85 by afternoon. Could this be affecting it, doubtful though because cooler temps should help the engine, right? Is there anything in the engine I should look at? Could it be the MAF sensor? I run Ethanol free 93 usually, but the lowest I go is 93 or 91 regular if the prior isn't available.
I've already brought this question to Chase and he's been very helpful with advice. I just wanted to poll the forum here to see if anyone else had this issue or heard of anything like this before.
Any advice that could be given would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OC" View Post
Since installing the CAI w/ Scoop there has been a 3-5 MPG drop in the Camaro. I have used a CAI before in past vehicles but only noticed a 1 MPG change if any.
Since installation, there has been no change in driving habits other than the standard spirited driving which I was getting 17-18 MPG with city driving...now I'm at 13-14 MPG since install (if I'm being nice).
The only thing really to change though is the weather. We've been between 85-90 but have started cooling down to 70 in the AM and 85 by afternoon. Could this be affecting it, doubtful though because cooler temps should help the engine, right? Is there anything in the engine I should look at? Could it be the MAF sensor? I run Ethanol free 93 usually, but the lowest I go is 93 or 91 regular if the prior isn't available.
I've already brought this question to Chase and he's been very helpful with advice. I just wanted to poll the forum here to see if anyone else had this issue or heard of anything like this before.
Any advice that could be given would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
When the air is colder it's more dense...which means more air and subsequently, more fuel into the combustion chamber.

There are other possibilities...what else is done to the car? is it stock tune or no? Any CEL?

You can always put the stock intake back on the see if the mileage goes back up.

And FYI, engines run best and most efficiently when they are HOT, not cold. Not to be confused with over-heating btw.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
"OC"

Everything is stock other than the CAI w/the scoop. Thanks for the information, I was definitely thinking about putting the stock intake to see if it was that.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
If you reset the mileage after installing it then that is why it is showing lower, you need to give it more time to average out. Also people tend to get a heavier foot after installing mods, even if they don't realize it
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
A lot of people will see worse mileage because their foot gets heavier to hear their new intake system. But typically you will get worse mileage in the winter months.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
"OC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
A lot of people will see worse mileage because their foot gets heavier to hear their new intake system. But typically you will get worse mileage in the winter months.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
I live in Panama City, FL we don't get a winter...just a cold front! But seriously, I understand what you're saying, it might be a factor. I'll give it some more time though.