Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
whipple 4.0 build, HOOD DILEMA

Hey guys, first post on the forum.

I purchased a brand new 2013 ZL1, black with black wheels and nav. The first thing I did was I took the engine and blower off and sold them for a cheap price, dont ask how much

Anyways, I have an RHS 427 in the works, with custom diamond pistons, oliver rods, dragonslayer crank, mast 305 heads, and a big ass whipple 4.0 on board.

Yes Whipple dont sell the 4.0 for the Camaro yet, but were gonna customize it to work, and this might as well be the first 4.0 whippled camaro in the world other than the drag-only COPO's

guidelines for this build are to have a stock-like camshaft, and be quite at idle and partial throttle and run on pure 93 octane pump gas no meth no race gas no bullshit.

Now, I really hate the looks of the damn production COPO camaros, I did like the concept/preproduction version much more, but not sure if all of this clear the blower/snout and so on. I think the ZL1 will look hideous with a COPO hood, and as much as I love the ZL1 hood I guess it will have to go.

Part of the reason were using a 4.0 is for the wow factor, im just mentioning this before someone asks why I didnt use a 2.9 because well have to spin the life out of the poor 2.9 and throw it outside its efficiency range. Why no KenneBell? Because KB blowers are crap (sorry KB we could discuss this if you want)

Suggestions on hoods? I looked at every hood on the planet, and im lost.
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
ayousef

Also for those interested in following the progress of the build, you can like "New Era Performance" page on facebook, and I might start a build thread here to keep you guys entertained lol.

Here is a picture of the car:

Old 10-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Decide on a hood that fits or get a custom one made. Doesn't seem much of a dilemma to me.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Decide on a hood that fits or get a custom one made. Doesn't seem much of a dilemma to me.
who makes custom hoods? The only hood we KNOW will work is the production COPO hood, the rest we have to try out. Also, not sure what happens with a fiberglass hood with our heat here in Dubai, seems it will "warp" real quick.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
yeah heat and CF dont go well together...... you don't have a lot of options it seems.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Rat

Drives: ZL1/TBSS/COPO
Your going to have to worry more about the rear fire wall then the hood! The Whipple COPO's dont have any wipers and the fire wall has been modded BIG TIME!
.....2012/14 COPO #33....427, 1.31 60' ....9.39@143......
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Your going to have to worry more about the rear fire wall then the hood! The Whipple COPO's dont have any wipers and the fire wall has been modded BIG TIME!
I understand it needs to be modified, we might fabricate a custom snout to clear the firewall but MIGHT get rid of the wipers, it rained for two hours last year, and it didnt rain at all the year before, who needs wipers

Now back to the original question, who does custom hoods and who (vendors) thinks his hood will clear the 4.0 whipple?

This is how a copo engine bay looks like:

Old 10-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The COPO hood is the only one that clears that I know of, and you won't be using wipers.

Another problem may be sealing off the back of the hood. Not a problem on a race car like the COPO. But on a street car with an HVAC system, having no seal back there is going to put engine heat and odors right into the HVAC system.

I ran a Camaro once just for a few miles with that rear hood seal removed, tons of heat came out of the vents. And that was a non supercharged car. A 427 with a 4.0L blower is going to be putting out a ton of heat. If the back of the hood/HVAC inlet isn't sealed off from the engine compartment, forget about the A/C working properly.

I'd rethink the 4.0L idea. Many reasons nobody else is using it but the COPO cars.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Slap an F1 procharger on there, you know it'll fit without issue then.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
2K11SS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 11 Camaro SS LSX & 12 Corvette GS
Location: When you get to the middle of nowhere keep going I live past that
Contact Eric at MPD1. I have their cowl hood and it adds alot of room in the center where the Whipple would sit. I had a custom elbow built and it would not fit under a stock hood but fits easily under the MPD1 hood. They will also cut holes into the cowl to help get the heat out.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The COPO hood is the only one that clears that I know of, and you won't be using wipers.

Another problem may be sealing off the back of the hood. Not a problem on a race car like the COPO. But on a street car with an HVAC system, having no seal back there is going to put engine heat and odors right into the HVAC system.

I ran a Camaro once just for a few miles with that rear hood seal removed, tons of heat came out of the vents. And that was a non supercharged car. A 427 with a 4.0L blower is going to be putting out a ton of heat. If the back of the hood/HVAC inlet isn't sealed off from the engine compartment, forget about the A/C working properly.

I'd rethink the 4.0L idea. Many reasons nobody else is using it but the COPO cars.
The reason no one has it is because Whipple did not officially release it for use on Camaro's its really that simple, and for the majority a 2.9 is plenty.

We will make it work, dont worry lol
Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Slap an F1 procharger on there, you know it'll fit without issue then.
fit a procharger and suck hot air from under the engine compartment?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K11SS View Post
Contact Eric at MPD1. I have their cowl hood and it adds alot of room in the center where the Whipple would sit. I had a custom elbow built and it would not fit under a stock hood but fits easily under the MPD1 hood. They will also cut holes into the cowl to help get the heat out.
I love that hood

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
fit a procharger and suck hot air from under the engine compartment?
The fastest camaro to date runs one, so not really a face palm.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote