Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 09-24-2023, 10:12 AM   #1
Thestormoverkrynn

Drives: Camaro Zl1
blown supercharger

Need some advice guys, Recently installed AR Headers on a 2021 zl1 1le.. The guy that installed it for me said i could drive it around without a tune. I did so for about a week and found the car wasn't running correct. When i took it to the track, guys there advised me not to run it like that. To get it a tune. So the original shop that did the headers, doesn't have a guy in house to do a tune. So i took it to another shop, the new shop dynoed it and tuned. Elated with a new tune i was a bit overzealous and somehow without even being at the track i blew the supercharger. Took it back to GM who advised the tune was too aggressive and likely blew the supercharger. The guy that did the tune said there was no way his tune blew the supercharger, that likely it was faulty, that these zl1s could take way more of a beating than what i put it through. Claimed i didn't even have it pullied down. That there was no way the tune did that.

First question, in all your experiences, who is lying? Stealership or the guy that did the tune?

Second question has anyone had experience with rebuilt blowers? How long do they last? Can i abuse them?

Third question, should i bite the bullet and just spend the money on a maggie 2650r?

Andrew
Thestormoverkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:36 AM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestormoverkrynn View Post
Need some advice guys, Recently installed AR Headers on a 2021 zl1 1le.. The guy that installed it for me said i could drive it around without a tune. I did so for about a week and found the car wasn't running correct. When i took it to the track, guys there advised me not to run it like that. To get it a tune. So the original shop that did the headers, doesn't have a guy in house to do a tune. So i took it to another shop, the new shop dynoed it and tuned. Elated with a new tune i was a bit overzealous and somehow without even being at the track i blew the supercharger. Took it back to GM who advised the tune was too aggressive and likely blew the supercharger. The guy that did the tune said there was no way his tune blew the supercharger, that likely it was faulty, that these zl1s could take way more of a beating than what i put it through. Claimed i didn't even have it pullied down. That there was no way the tune did that.

First question, in all your experiences, who is lying? Stealership or the guy that did the tune?

Second question has anyone had experience with rebuilt blowers? How long do they last? Can i abuse them?

Third question, should i bite the bullet and just spend the money on a maggie 2650r?

Andrew
A bad tune can definitely smoke an engine, but not the supercharger. Dealership is wrong, as they are a good bit of the time on modified cars.

You can have it rebuilt…be interested to know exactly what is “blown” on the blower. Changing bearings is pretty common. If you go that route it’d be a good time to have Kong port it.

Maggie 2650 and Whipple 3.0 are both a substantial improvement over the stock blower.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:42 AM   #3
Thestormoverkrynn

ty, and when you say improvement, do you just mean performance? or reliability?

And apparently it is a bearing that's gone..

Andrew

you see my goal is to be on the track more than off! As there is a certain mustang owner that needs a trouncing!

Last edited by Thestormoverkrynn; 09-25-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:33 PM   #4
t-ray

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Quote:

Andrew

Why does it have to be either party is lying? Sometimes people just make mistakes or are just flat out wrong.
t-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 02:51 PM   #5
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
ty, and when you say improvement, do you just mean performance? or reliability?

And apparently it is a bearing that's gone..

Andrew

you see my goal is to be on the track more than off! As there is a certain mustang owner that needs a trouncing!
The 2650 and 3.0 are improvements in both airflow and cooling, by a massive margin.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:05 PM   #6
Thestormoverkrynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ray View Post
Why does it have to be either party is lying? Sometimes people just make mistakes or are just flat out wrong.
One party flat out accused the other party of messing with the tune and blowing the supercharger. Also left me with the direct impression that the tuner was not legitimate. I myself don't like pointing fingers either especially when being told that bearings fail on the regular. Ultimately though the buck stops somewhere. Either Gm loaded up this particular supercharger with bad bearings? or a tune couldv'e pushed the bearing past its normal specs, or an overzealous user WOT and blew the supercharger. Likely now the buck will stop with me im ok with that. Why does there have to be a lie? Why can't someone just be wrong? well that's not a simple question and is usually complicated by the person that has to pay for the repair. Because it designates fault, which is usually accompanied by a lie feigning innocence. IE it's not our fault. Now that i've explained lies and taking responsibility of fault to you. I find your comment unhelpful, combative, and just generally annoying... What is it mom used to say? "if you have nothing good to say? say nothing?" Guess you missed that tid bit of advice. Perhaps you will take it now.. Doubtful

See how i did that? now if u respond u just look like a jerk... and if u don't u look like u got roasted, by a dumby who knows nothing about superchargers and can only just grasp the basics of the combustion engine, who's lost several 10mm sockets somewhere in the engine just trying to get the rain guard off and oh btw i also ruined a good pair of centre rings by trying to put 19s over top of them! so what's it gona be?

Last edited by Thestormoverkrynn; 09-25-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:32 PM   #7
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Took it back to GM who advised the tune was too aggressive and likely blew the supercharger.
Andrew
Probably a service writer/advisor, neither usually know much about how cars operate.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:49 PM   #8
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
When a turbo or supercharger "blows", it sends chunks into the intake and into the engine, the engine is trashed in a millisecond. This is what happens when these things mechanically fail. It's rare, but just think about how fast the internals in these things spin. When they let go, it does a whole lot of damage and you know it.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote