Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Summer Tire Questions

The 2017 ZL1 comes with Good Year eagle f1 summer tires. I have never driven on summer tires and I have a few questions:

1. What temperature outside should you not drive with these Good Year eagle f1 summer tires, 40 degrees, 30 degrees?

2. Does it make sense for me to get all weather tires for the ZL1?

3. How do the Good Year eagle f1 summer tires perform in the rain? I heard from tirerack.com that they actually perform better in the rain than all season tires, is this true!

2. What can I expect (from a driving performance point of view) using these summer tires versus what I'm used to my all weather tires on my 2LT?

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
The 2017 ZL1 comes with Good Year eagle f1 summer tires. I have never driven on summer tires and I have a few questions:

1. What temperature outside should you not drive with these Good Year eagle f1 summer tires, 40 degrees, 30 degrees?

3. How do the Good Year eagle f1 summer tires perform in the rain? I heard from tirerack.com that they actually perform better in the rain than all season tires, is this true!

2. What can I expect (from a driving performance point of view) using these summer tires versus what I'm used to my all weather tires on my 2LT?
1. Your owner's manual states diminished performance under 40 degrees, and possible damage under 20 degrees.
2. If you intend on driving it with weather around or under freezing, yes.
3. They're decent.
2(?). Driving performance will be eleventy million times better than your current all weather tires.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:

all weather tires on a ZL1 seems kinda silly...

you have to be careful with the Goodyear F1's in the rain... tread not very deep, will hydroplane quite easily if road is more than just wet.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
cignul9

Drives: 50th 2SS MRC A8 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
all weather tires on a ZL1 seems kinda silly...

you have to be careful with the Goodyear F1's in the rain... tread not very deep, will hydroplane quite easily if road is more than just wet.
True. I got caught out in a rainstorm a few weeks ago and the hydroplaning is a real danger. The car is super well balanced, so it never got scary, but it was definitely an issue.
50th 2SS, MRC, NPP, 8A, #991
Join the Club F1FTY Registry!
Add yourself to the registry here.
Read the registry here.
cignul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
If you're driving it through the winter then yes. If not no
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
hadkins2

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:

Your other question have been answered. So I will add another bit of information. There are currently no all season tires available for the rear of the ZL1 305/30/20. You can only get them in 305/35/20 which will throw off your speedo ~1 mph and possibly cause rubbing issues. I have not yet seen a definitive statement that 305/35/20 385/35/20 (Front) causes rubbing.

Howard

2005 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
1987 Camaro IROC-Z White T-Tops

Instagram @Gen6ZL1
hadkins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Do not put AS tires on that bad boy, defeats the purpose of having a car like that with that much power and torque! Summer tires are fine in colder weather for shorter trips and not too cold. I drive mine in 25-30 temps, short drives to work and they are fine.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I drive mine in 25-30 temps, short drives to work and they are fine.
I also have a 2SS with the summer tires. I did not realize their limitations until I noticed I was breaking traction backing out of a parking space on my way home from work. Temps were mid-30's. I had not noticed driving in because my garage is in the 50's overnight. This is a recently sealed parking lot, which does make it smoother. But I had never experienced wheel slip in a parking situation before. For me these tires are definitely compromised when temperature is below 40 degrees.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I also have a 2SS with the summer tires. I did not realize their limitations until I noticed I was breaking traction backing out of a parking space on my way home from work. Temps were mid-30's. I had not noticed driving in because my garage is in the 50's overnight. This is a recently sealed parking lot, which does make it smoother. But I had never experienced wheel slip in a parking situation before. For me these tires are definitely compromised when temperature is below 40 degrees.
me too, probably mid 40's one night, I had just left work. I was surprised once making sweeping left turn through large intersection, hit the gas and woohoo, back end slid out without much effort at all...(road was dry)
these tires are like "big wheel" plastic when cold. lesson learned, just be careful.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I completely agree. Didn't like the feel at all driving in cold weather. Felt like I was sliding around turns unless going very slow. I replaced mine with Continental DWS6. Handles great and as a bonus, it is quieter.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
me too, probably mid 40's one night, I had just left work. I was surprised once making sweeping left turn through large intersection, hit the gas and woohoo, back end slid out without much effort at all...(road was dry)
these tires are like "big wheel" plastic when cold. lesson learned, just be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
I completely agree. Didn't like the feel at all driving in cold weather. Felt like I was sliding around turns unless going very slow. I replaced mine with Continental DWS6. Handles great and as a bonus, it is quieter.
Actually had it happen several times. Scared the crap out of me the first time. After a few more instances I decided to switch to the all-seasons. Hated to have to slow to a crawl to make a turn (so did the people behind me ).
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
I can also attest that the summer only tires handle ok in wet weather. Keep your foot out of it, and drive like a grandma, you'll be fine.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
I replaced mine with Continental DWS6. Handles great and as a bonus, it is quieter.
Well this thread got me prioritizing A/S tires over any kind of stereo upgrade. Quieter tires is part of my sound system agenda. Good to hear the Conti's are quiet!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
I can also attest that the summer only tires handle ok in wet weather. Keep your foot out of it, and drive like a grandma, you'll be fine.
This is what I'm concerned about, slipping and sliding in the rain. Tirerack.com told me that these summer tires actually are good in the rain.
Why would they tell me that?

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote