Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Flowmaster outlaw + long tube headers too loud?

I have the flow master outlaw cat-back exhaust on my Camaro and its already pretty loud. I don't think there's such thing as too loud when it comes to muscle cars but I've been told that if I add long tube headers to my car it will make it "obnoxiously loud". Anyone have a similar set-up that could share some insight? Thanks
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
I would like to know also. Is outlaw louder than muffler delete on LS3?
Old 02-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
cj04

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
I have 3 inch cat back with long tubes and cat delete. I think I have the American thunder, but no, I don't think it's too loud.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
cj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
I would like to know also. Is outlaw louder than muffler delete on LS3?
There's no way there's anything louder (decibel wise) than a muffler delete ... of course if we're talking about cutouts
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

That's an entirely different animal... but as far as pipes go.. nah straight pipes are just that... straight pipes.

I have this setup, LT Headers with straight pipes, no resonator... yeah it's pretty loud when you get on it, it's eh... if it's at an idle and it's all warmed up.

But I've learned with having this setup, it's not all about the decibels, because I'm sometimes annoyed with this set up and how raspy it sounds, it's very untamed and pretty wild, you can tell (at least I can) that this isn't an exhaust system that is refined and toned.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj04 View Post
I have 3 inch cat back with long tubes and cat delete. I think I have the American thunder, but no, I don't think it's too loud.

There's a big difference between outlaw and American thunder...

And yea Dmpsix I have muffler delete with headers also but I'm thinking I want outlaws 3inch catback but I don't want it to be louder than my muffler delete (small LS3 resonators are still there)
Old 02-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
So let's say my cat-back outlaw is a 5 on a scale of 1-10. 10 being twice as loud as it is currently. What do you think long tube headers and the outlaw would put it at?
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
So let's say my cat-back outlaw is a 5 on a scale of 1-10. 10 being twice as loud as it is currently. What do you think long tube headers and the outlaw would put it at?
8.5. I made this judgement from my experience muffler delete stock manifolds then I upgraded to headers. The huge diffence will be when u hit the gas.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
kenshin98

Drives: 2014 chevy camaro 1ss rs auto
So retro chambered exhaust and headers.

Hey man, I have long tube headers cat deletes and stainless works retro chambered 3 inch exhaust and it's not bad at all. I can listen to the radio and all but you can def. Hear it. Not in a negative obnoxious way. I think it will sound good.
kenshin98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
Louder doesn't mean obnoxious . Everything depends on the frequencies. I have American thunder cutback with long tube and high flow cat. Everything with night fury cam. Even though mine is louder in terms of decibel the outlaw which il a friend's car with longtube and no cat ( with stock cam) is more noisy
2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
cj04

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by avido View Post
Louder doesn't mean obnoxious . Everything depends on the frequencies. I have American thunder cutback with long tube and high flow cat. Everything with night fury cam. Even though mine is louder in terms of decibel the outlaw which il a friend's car with longtube and no cat ( with stock cam) is more noisy
The amount of noise is more from the difference in cat vs cat delete. Which will also effect the volume. Hard to judge with the difference in cats and cams

cj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #11
Airbornesldr12
RunEmIfYouGotEm

Drives: She wears midnight blue ls3 m6
I was thinking about doing long tubes catless with cutouts with stock muffler
Airbornesldr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #12
Eric14SS

Drives: 14 2SS RS and 16 Silverado LTZ Z71
Long tubes and stock mufflers sound good. I have long tubes no cats with npp exhaust. It sounded good but a little louder than I wanted. Now it's crazy loud after I got a cam.
Eric14SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #13
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
The stock LS3 mufflers sound decent, but they're very raspy and "poppy" sounding. The Outlaw a/b I had on mine was actually louder with stock manifolds and no cats vs LT's and no cats. I attribute this to the headers delivering the firing pulses to the collector in an equal time vs the manifold. It was a great sound though. If I ever get another, I'll be doing the same setup.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat back exhaust, exhaust, headers, long tube, outlaw