Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Where do WE stand with the HPFP & MAF?

Alright so I made this thread because we as a community have been discussing these two different issues in like five or more other threads and it's hard to follow and find what was posted in all these different areas.

We're still very much in the infancy of having a FI V6 5th gen Camaro, and as such we're still running into problems and finding new ones. The biggest issues currently seem to be the stock fuel stystem and our (weak) mass air flow sensor.

First off, I know we have a couple guys toying around with the HPFP and Smoke is sending his car back down to Tracy so they can play with the OD pulley and HPFP and get a proper tune, so all of us super charged guys putting out more than 6 psi of boost can actually see some serious gains. Where do we currently stand with the tune on the aftermarket HPFP? I ask only becaue I know one or two people have it and think it seems to be working, but then when I was talking to Vince a couple days ago, he claimed he's not too sure it's working 100% and is very skeptical.

Secondly, I believe it was Can't C Me that was going to try out the JET MAF, is there any news on that? This seems to be another issue we have and that is maxing out our MAF sensor.

Lets try to use this thread to facilitate discussion about the HPFP and MAF, as it's a PITA to filter through several threads to find the info.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Here's we I am.

Put it back on the dyno yesterday afternoon with the new intake setup and tried a few tunes. Something isn't right, but we just don't know what it is. At first it looked like the in-tank pump wasn't keeping up, but that didn't make sense since we weren't flowing any more air so we shouldn't have needed more fuel. Looked at it to make sure there was nothing wrong with it and it seems okay. Now we are getting misfires on two cylinders. Going to swap the plugs out and see if that fixes it. Really not sure what is going on at the moment. I'm headed over there in about an hour and will try to update as we work through this.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Here's we I am.

Put it back on the dyno yesterday afternoon with the new intake setup and tried a few tunes. Something isn't right, but we just don't know what it is. At first it looked like the in-tank pump wasn't keeping up, but that didn't make sense since we weren't flowing any more air so we shouldn't have needed more fuel. Looked at it to make sure there was nothing wrong with it and it seems okay. Now we are getting misfires on two cylinders. Going to swap the plugs out and see if that fixes it. Really not sure what is going on at the moment. I'm headed over there in about an hour and will try to update as we work through this.
Good luck man! You running on an after market HPFP or just meth? Also if you start getting a lot of misfires it could be your MAF sensor failing. I know all about that
Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
GretchenGotGrowl

We are just running pump gas with the new HPFP. Will do a meth/water tune once we get this one worked out. I'll run the MAF thing by Vince, but I think he would have seen something in the logs.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
smoke1lt

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs/sim
Thanks for the info Gretchen,I hope you can get it dialed in.Keep us updated.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke1lt View Post
Thanks for the info Gretchen,I hope you can get it dialed in.Keep us updated.
Will do. Sure hope it can be sorted out because I don't think we can get it back to the way it was when before the intake changes in time to go to CFest.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Here's we I am.

Put it back on the dyno yesterday afternoon with the new intake setup and tried a few tunes.
By new intake set up do you mean large MAF tube? If so what size? I'm VERY curious about this, as I'm running 3.5" currently and Vince said going to a larger tube might fix the maxing out of the MAF sensor problem. However, Tracy said they tried a 4" on someones car and it didn't work. So we're stuck between a rock and a hard place..

Last edited by BaylorCamaro; 07-13-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
smoke1lt

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs/sim
Quote:
Will do. Sure hope it can be sorted out because I don't think we can get it back to the way it was when before the intake changes in time to go to CFest.
Yeah not much time left to be making alot of changes now if your going to make the fest.Might have to look at Tracy's first fuel solution ,with the exta injectors,if i remeber right it was hooked up with a contorler ,so it would be able to give the right amount of fuel when needed.It cost more but sounds like it would give better control of the fuel.I dont know if he tested it out on a running FI car to get it tunned in.Just one more option to look at if all else fails.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

ugh, adding extra injectors sounds like the last thing I want to do right now, lol..
Old 07-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
We are now testing the 4" MAF tube and it seems to have taken care of the MAF issue..(Baylor, you have a 3.5" on yours).

The HPFP is the hurdle right now and if Vince cannot work it out in the tune then were back to dual stock pumps on the new heads, or a standalone w/6 additional injectors like we had started before the HPFP.

As soon as we have the 4" MAF tube tune finished it appears that will cover everything except the 9-10 boosted over drive pulley guys and that can be addressed with the Meth inj for WOT use.

BAM, a plan of action. I like it. I haven't messed with the new tube you sent me last week (swamped with work :( ) But do you have proper clambs / connectors for the new 4 inch pipe? I guess what I'm going to plan on doing is getting a meth kit in the (very) near future. Once you guys figure the tune out for the 4" MAF tube please PM and/or call me so we can get my unit figured out. I don't only going 3/4 throttle

Glad to see that we're seeing some real progress for us guys with the OD pulley
Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Tracy is that MAF tube you sent me by accident a 4"? Muwahahaha. If so should I hold onto it and see where this goes and send you back the 3.5"? Gonna measure it when I get home from the alignment shop,
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
like where this is going good info.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Doesn't look like the expansion chamber for the MAF will work. Vince may be able to eventually get it to work, but to me it looks like too much turbulance is developing. We couldn't get it above 6000 RPM without breaking up, and it wasn't making any power. Welded the old intake tube back together and it worked fine.

A new issue has developed. We aren't getting proper crankcase ventilation. Cracked one of the valve covers. Going to have to check to make sure we didn't mess up the rings or break a ring land...and revist the crankcase ventilation. Will probably put a vacuum pump on it and be done with that issue once and for all.

Last edited by GretchenGotGrowl; 07-13-2012 at 06:57 PM.
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Doesn't look like the expansion chamber for the MAF will work. Vince may be able to eventually get it to work, but to me it looks like too much turbulance is developing. We couldn't get it above 6000 RPM without breaking up, and it wasn't making any power. Welded the old intake tube back together and it worked fine.

A new issue has developed. We aren't getting propery crankcase ventilation. Cracked on of the valve covers. Going to have to check to make sure we didn't mess up the rings or break a ring land...and revist the crankcase ventilation. Will probably put a vacuum pump on it and be done with that issue once and for all.
Damn... hope just the valve covers!!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote