Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Check engine & Service Stabilitrak poped up today on my way to work

I've been reading some threads on here and this looks to be a common thing. Several have stated it was from there battery. I would have never assumed that to be the problem. At the moment I was thinking a bad plug or wire; however, if the battery is an issue I am still running my stock battery after 9 years. I have never had the slightest issue with it, so never thought to replace it. Anyone else on here ever get this message due to a battery issue?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
swampcritter

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS / 13 zl1
Yeah,I've been there.Put new battery in and had no more issues. I got 4 years out of my old battery.
swampcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Given your battery is 9 years old, my first guess would be that's your issue.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Given your battery is 9 years old, my first guess would be that's your issue.
I was just telling my brother last week I think its time. It has never given me any issue, so I never really thought about it. It sits in the garage most of the time. I just turned 16k on it. I guess I still don't understand how I would get a Service Stabilitrak issure from that, but it sounds pretty common.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
I was just telling my brother last week I think its time. It has never given me any issue, so I never really thought about it. It sits in the garage most of the time. I just turned 16k on it. I guess I still don't understand how I would get a Service Stabilitrak issure from that, but it sounds pretty common.
The computer and electronic systems in these cars, like many of today's vehicles, are very sensitive when it comes to the battery and all kinds of lights, warnings, etc. go off when one goes/is going bad or has low voltage. When my battery went bad, the car started and I got a bunch of flashing warnings; then all my gauges, HUD and climate control went dead. I was at the store at the time and, fortunately was able to drive it about a block to my local AutoZone to replace the battery.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
The computer and electronic systems in these cars, like many of today's vehicles, are very sensitive when it comes to the battery and all kinds of lights, warnings, etc. go off when one goes/is going bad or has low voltage. When my battery went bad, the car started and I got a bunch of flashing warning; then all my gauges, HUD and climate control went dead. I was at the store at the time and, fortunately was able to drive it about a block to my local AutoZone to replace the battery.
That's kind of what happened to mine this morning. I was driving to work and it was fine. After about 10 minutes of driving in 20 degree weather everything went to hell. I wonder if the temps had something to do with it. My garage is heavily insulated and the temp in the garage was in the 50's when I left. I'll hit AutoZone today and pick up a battery.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Nine years? Good grief, wish I could get them to last that long.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
I would check plugs and wires first. I had a similar issue and it was one of my plug wires not being on tight.

I was told to replace my stock battery when I had a stabilitrak issue, and that didn't fix it. My old battery tested fine and I should have kept it, but since everyone was saying battery, that's what I did.

Ended up being a $20 speed sensor instead -_- ..But hey, at least I have a new battery I didn't need yet!

Silver lining - I guess I don't have to find out the hard way that the old one was done.
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
I would check plugs and wires first. I had a similar issue and it was one of my plug wires not being on tight.

I was told to replace my stock battery when I had a stabilitrak issue, and that didn't fix it. My old battery tested fine and I should have kept it, but since everyone was saying battery, that's what I did.

Ended up being a $20 speed sensor instead -_- ..But hey, at least I have a new battery I didn't need yet!

Silver lining - I guess I don't have to find out the hard way that the old one was done.
I had a speed sensor go on one of my other Chevys when I got the Service Stabilitrak message... HHR to be specific. Did a diagnostic check show that was the problem or was it process of elimination?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo-D View Post
Nine years? Good grief, wish I could get them to last that long.
Yeah... pretty crazy. Maybe its because I keep a tender on it 6 months out of the year... who knows.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
I had a speed sensor go on one of my other Chevys when I got the Service Stabilitrak message... HHR to be specific. Did a diagnostic check show that was the problem or was it process of elimination?
The first time I got one was right after cam swap and I just didn't have one of the plug wires on all the way. Luckily it didn't take long to figure that one out.

The speed sensor one was eventually pinpointed by diagnostic. We had swapped differentials, and I knew there was a chance we broke one moving stuff around, so I had a hunch...but I let everyone talk me into a battery first. When that didn't fix it, I had a buddy scan it with a snap on diagnostic tool, and it pinpointed it to the rear wheel sensor. I figured that was it without diagnostics, but didn't want to buy 2 if only 1 had an issue.

Realistically though, that is a hell of a run for a battery. So if you have the money, it doesn't hurt to swap it out with a fresh one. I didn't end up needing it, but now that's one more thing I am NOT worried about going wrong at this moment
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #12
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
NewAge - same thing happened to me. Did you go into "Limp Mode"? We are prob similar with garaged cars not daily driven, as there are parasitic losses constantly sucking on the battery. I also am STILL on my original battery. After alot of research, I found there are are number of things that can cause this. Long story short, a new battery and or connections are the key culprits. Esp the harness connection at the throttle body. A code reader like the SCT X4 is a great tool to eliminate any guess work on codes and clearing them on the fly, or a trip to O'Rileys to read what the code is and a charge test on the battery will avoid guess work.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532978
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Disconnect Battery ; Replace battery; Code is cleared, be glad you did not have to ever daily depend on the battery which their general life is 1/2 what is stated before they go south...…. STupiditrac code comes up for bubble gum stuck to rear seats also along with cat on roof....

Last edited by christianchevell; 10-21-2018 at 08:03 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Throw in a new starter while you're in there messing with the ignition system. You won't regret it.

The only time these lights ever lit up on my ride is twice when I had a few lazy starts due to the starter going out. Replaced it - now its pure unadulterated vroom...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote