Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
pinoyplaya

Drives: '13 SS RS
How to re-center the steering wheel?

I purchased my car brand new and the steering wheel has always been off by about 5-10 degrees.

I never bothered fixing it since I didn’t think it would be worth the hassle.

But now that I’ve decided to keep my car, I want to actually address it especially since I just bought a tap/paddle shift extended and want to make sure they are aligned well.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to re-center the steering wheel? I should just have to remove the steering wheel and then put it back on in the position I want right? How difficult is that process and is there anything to watch out for such as air bags, wires disconnecting and etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Alignment, it's the only way. There is a large spline on the steering column and matching spline on the wheel that prevents it from going on any other way.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
pinoyplaya

Drives: '13 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Alignment, only way.

I took it to the dealership the first time I bought it and they said it was normal. This was back in 2013. I’ve been driving it like this since then even after my tires were changed.

I wonder if there’s any drawback to it. I just put the steering wheel off centered when I’m going straight. It doesn’t pull at all when I go straight but the steering wheel is off centered.

I thought maybe like the flats or whatever aligns the steering wheel is off. I thought maybe there’s some gear and pinion system that the steering wheel sits into and you can just remove it and rotate it to the right direction and assemble it back on. I guess I don’t know how that is assembled.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #4
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I wonder if somebody replaced a steering component with an incorrect piece. This happened on my 88 trans am. Somebody put the wrong tire rod on there and the steering wheel was way off. The steering wheel should not be off center. Something is wrong.
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #5
Dogmeat

Drives: 2011 RS
I fixed that very problem on my 'Vette....but I can't explain it to you withoug pics, arrows, etc.....You do NOT want to change theOUTER tie rod ends themselves, you have to readjust the INNER ends of the tie rods that connect to the CENTER connecting piece. I would take it to a place that regularly does front end alignments, and have them ONLY do the portion to realign your steering wheel, NOT the alignment portion!!
Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyplaya View Post
I took it to the dealership the first time I bought it and they said it was normal. This was back in 2013. I’ve been driving it like this since then even after my tires were changed.

I wonder if there’s any drawback to it. I just put the steering wheel off centered when I’m going straight. It doesn’t pull at all when I go straight but the steering wheel is off centered.

I thought maybe like the flats or whatever aligns the steering wheel is off. I thought maybe there’s some gear and pinion system that the steering wheel sits into and you can just remove it and rotate it to the right direction and assemble it back on. I guess I don’t know how that is assembled.

I have been fixing cars for GM for over 10 years now, that is not normal for ANY new car off the lot. What has happened was during the alignment at the factory the steering wheel was not centered when the toe was set. The alignment will be true, but your wheel is off. It is a simple toe-set to get it corrected.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post

I have been fixing cars for GM for over 10 years now, that is not normal for ANY new car off the lot. What has happened was during the alignment at the factory the steering wheel was not centered when the toe was set. The alignment will be true, but your wheel is off. It is a simple toe-set to get it corrected.
^exactly, anyone who has done an alignment before can "re-clock" your steering wheel.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Indeed, setting the steering wheel straight is a routine first step when adjusting toe in.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote