Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #323
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
I didn't care to read all 8 pages and 3 merged threads,

so if this is a repost, my apologies..

This is the fix IMO if you don't want the recall:

http://easygosystem.com/application_...plicationID=23

looks to be $600 - http://www.amazon.com/EasyGO-AM-CRO-.../dp/B00BYV3XIA

this is what I will be doing..
I will not go back to a separate key that tears up my pockets and requires a separate fob.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #324
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
I do also. Seems weird upside down.
Exactly. You flip the key out with your thumb and the buttons facing up. Then you turn it over to insert into the ignition and start the car? That just doesn't make sense.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #325
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13umble13ee View Post
If GM wants to find things to recall lets talk about the useless side mirrors when you are trying to back up. Can't see nothing
They work fine??
Old 06-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #326
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Ok so…I don’t get it. I have been thinking about the problem.
They say the switchblade key can be hit by a knee and the ignition turned off because the key gets turned. Key problem, not an ignition problem, caused by design of the key. Right?
So the solution is to separate the key from the fob, and have a more traditional key and a key fob. The key starts the car, the fob is for doors and trunk. Right?
Well…how does that solve the problem? The ignition is in the same place as always. If my knee could hit the switchblade key it will still hit the new replacement key.
So what am I missing ????
Old 06-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #327
Sigmon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Grizwald View Post
My knee is a mile away......they'll have to pry the keys out of my cold lifeless fingers if they want them!
Feel the same way, couldn't have said it better.
Sigmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #328
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13umble13ee View Post
If GM wants to find things to recall lets talk about the useless side mirrors when you are trying to back up. Can't see nothing
Good thing you can see everything, what's the problem

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #329
Sigmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
They say the switchblade key can be hit by a knee and the ignition turned off because the key gets turned. Key problem, not an ignition problem, caused by design of the key. Right?
So the solution is to separate the key from the fob, and have a more traditional key and a key fob. The key starts the car, the fob is for doors and trunk. Right?
Well…how does that solve the problem? The ignition is in the same place as always. If my knee could hit the switchblade key it will still hit the new replacement key.
You'r not missing anything. They are hopping no one will be smart enough to realize that.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #330
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnLLovett View Post
This sux because I think they will have to change the ignition switch as well. The switchblade key it laser cut through the middle of the key. A traditional key and ignition would use pins and followers to fall into place to start the car when the key is inserted.

I don't follow. If they made the switchblade key that way why can't they make a traditional key that way?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #331
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria7 View Post
Are you willing to take that chance with your family?
Fair point, but I still say the recall is BS. If the issue is that bumping the key can inadvertantly turn the ignition to the off or accessory position, then changing from the current key to a key without a built in fob can't possibly fix the issue IMHO. The best it could do is reduce the chance of it happening slightly because the head of the key is a bit smaller.

If this is really a problem then I would like to see a true fix like push button start. I realize that retrofitting every Camaro with that would cost a fortune. They also could just replace the ignition with one that is more difficult to turn. Something about this is very familiar....

Personally it seems like the simplest fool proof solution would be to replace the ignition switch with one where you have to both push and turn the key to move it. It seems like a lot of cars used to be this way and it would be nearly impossible to accidentally push and turn the key at the same time.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #332
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Don't know if this has been posted yet. Not a fan of Jalopnik but...

As shown, you have to TRY to hit the ignition with your knee, and you have to pound on it pretty hard.

This recall is just stupid.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #333
Goran
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Don't know if this has been posted yet. Not a fan of Jalopnik but...

As shown, you have to TRY to hit the ignition with your knee, and you have to pound on it pretty hard.

This recall is just stupid.
I do not agree.... if you look at knee maybe good point... but take a look at where the steering wheel is located ... form the position he is in he made it that way to shoot the video... just look at his body position ... who drives like that.. come on..

This is made only for one purpose and that is deception...
Old 06-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #334
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I think they think the issue is the fob is rather large and more likely to be struck. the torque spec to change positions is 20 N-CM... which if I recall caclulates to 3-4 in-lb. so it's really low. the recalled switches were in the 1-2 in-lb range.

so I think the key is just a smaller surface area... and less likely to be struck. closer to column and won't stick out.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #335
Sigmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Fair point, but I still say the recall is BS. If the issue is that bumping the key can inadvertantly turn the ignition to the off or accessory position, then changing from the current key to a key without a built in fob can't possibly fix the issue IMHO. The best it could do is reduce the chance of it happening slightly because the head of the key is a bit smaller.

If this is really a problem then I would like to see a true fix like push button start. I realize that retrofitting every Camaro with that would cost a fortune. They also could just replace the ignition with one that is more difficult to turn. Something about this is very familiar....

Personally it seems like the simplest fool proof solution would be to replace the ignition switch with one where you have to both push and turn the key to move it. It seems like a lot of cars used to be this way and it would be nearly impossible to accidentally push and turn the key at the same time.
Exactly. Just like my friend's "2007"!!!! Acura TL Type S
Old 06-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #336
Goran
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
look at how close he is with his seat to the steering wheel... it feels like it is right in his chest...

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall