Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
New to tuning - what do I need to get started?

Hey guys. I have decided I want to take the leap and start getting my feet wet in the world of tuning. I have a lot of vehicle knowledge in general, but virtually none of it involves tuning. My car is currently tuned by a local buddy of mine, but with life getting in the way, it can be really hard to meet up with him and spend much time on it. I am still having some issues, and while he will still help sometimes (and said he could certainly offer advice to some questions I had). I plan on doing a lot of mods over the years..so being self sufficient with tuning would be the end goal for me. Being someone who loves cars, and is a computer systems analyst by day, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that I can do this. Albeit, I am sure it's one hell of a learning curve.

Admittedly though, I am getting lost just trying to figure out what all I will need to get started. I was looking at the MPVI2, but it has some options and I am not sure what is needed vs what is extra. It says bundle with VCM suite (editor and scanner?), but I don't see the suite mentioned elsewhere. Is the software just downloaded elsewhere or does it come with the MPVI2?

Also, my tuner mentioned that his older model required the "pro" version to be able to use a wideband. I see mention of a pro feature set, is that still required to use one? I don't currently have one, but I figured that one would be needed for tuning purposes. In which case, is the AEM one the only one that works with HPT? I have seen them in a bundle together. Do I even NEED the afr gauge integrated, or is that just if I wish to datalog with it? (maybe I do?)

Then I just game across the ngage, and that opened up a whole bunch more questions. Does it function the same as the MPVI2, but also has a screen built in? Can it read a wideband? If so, does it make more sense to just get it, and run it as my AFR gauge when I am not tuning with it? Eventually I plan to be boosted, and was thinking I would have pillar gauges for boost and AFR..looks like this can display multiple stats at once?

Sorry if these are stupid questions..I just don't want to buy more than I actually need.
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
You'll need the pro version,2 credits to license your car. Wideband of your choice. AEM makes one that plugs into obd2 and hp tuner piggybacks off it. The downloads allow you to connect to a laptop for logging and tuning. Hptuners forum is endless with info. Having a buddy with tuning knowledge is a plus. There are tuning schools and tuning books. Read,read,read,and read some more.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Something to tune and something to tune with.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
VCM Editer and Scanner are downloadable for free on the HPtuners website. You might need to have the interface hooked up to the computer before it will allow, but not sure about that. Like others said, you should only need 2 credits. You buy those after you get your interface and sync it up to your laptop.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #5
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Here are some you tube links that helped me and I'm is also new to tuning, so call this novice advice I suppose.

Plenty others out there as I'm sure you know.

I got the MPVI2 no pro since I also purchased the AEM 30-0334. Now kind of wish would have got a dual wideband for both banks to be read however. Maybe eventually who knows.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...and-uego-obdii

You can piggyback the tuner off the Wideband gauge while hooked to the OBDII port. It recognizes it just like the car is feeding the info, like another pid. Info in one of the attached videos.
As far as the software the latest can be downloaded from HP tuners the suite is just the VCM scanner and editor that are both separate programs. One scans and the other modifies the tune and can upload to the car once credits are purchased. Both are included along with the track programs. Sample editor and scanner programs can be downloaded for free to play around with. Once purchased no credits needed to scan or modify tunes(just on laptop not on vehicle) when you load the tune on the car then credits required. The pro version is nice because I believe you can data log without the laptop. Can also hook in other items via the 5V analog with the pro version such as a boost gauge. Without pro if you want a wideband believe it must be the AEM mentioned earlier as its the only one that plugs in to the OBDII port and has the pass through to allow the tuner to piggyback off it and recognizes the wideband. Otherwise would need the pro version to hook your wideband up to the analog input. If you are going to do any tuning would think you'd for certain want a wideband though. Side not you can upgrade and buy the Pro module later for $249 I think.

I also looked at the Ngauge and thought it was pretty cool. Far as I know the nice part is you can load tunes onto the memory card and just switch between tunes on the gauge, and of course the display. No need to hook laptop up to vehicle. Think it also data logs on its own. You can hook a wideband and boost to it I believe, again via the analog input. Other than that I had trouble finding info on the gauge specifics.

Hope some of this help and please remember all this is what I've learned from doctor Google and Mr. You tube so no guarantee of accuracy.

Certain someone with experience can chime in and also correct anything I got wrong.
GL!
Old 04-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #6
Tajefe Couple

What part of Kansas do you happen to be in?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
A piece of advice -- change as LITTLE as possible.
I too have a 2010 ABM with a bunch of mods. It took like 1-1/2 years until I was happy with the tune in the car while getting comfortable w/ HP Tuners.
To this day, I still don't know how to tackle the transmission parameters.
Define a list of goals and then try to handle one at a time (but know that certain ones affect others, so having to revisit previous ones is perfectly normal).
Most beginners might want to start with the PE curves and possibly one (of like 12) ignition timing tables. Very likely, your current tune already have these pretty optimal.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Here are some you tube links that helped me and I'm is also new to tuning, so call this novice advice I suppose.

Plenty others out there as I'm sure you know.

I got the MPVI2 no pro since I also purchased the AEM 30-0334. Now kind of wish would have got a dual wideband for both banks to be read however. Maybe eventually who knows.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...and-uego-obdii

You can piggyback the tuner off the Wideband gauge while hooked to the OBDII port. It recognizes it just like the car is feeding the info, like another pid. Info in one of the attached videos.
As far as the software the latest can be downloaded from HP tuners the suite is just the VCM scanner and editor that are both separate programs. One scans and the other modifies the tune and can upload to the car once credits are purchased. Both are included along with the track programs. Sample editor and scanner programs can be downloaded for free to play around with. Once purchased no credits needed to scan or modify tunes(just on laptop not on vehicle) when you load the tune on the car then credits required. The pro version is nice because I believe you can data log without the laptop. Can also hook in other items via the 5V analog with the pro version such as a boost gauge. Without pro if you want a wideband believe it must be the AEM mentioned earlier as its the only one that plugs in to the OBDII port and has the pass through to allow the tuner to piggyback off it and recognizes the wideband. Otherwise would need the pro version to hook your wideband up to the analog input. If you are going to do any tuning would think you'd for certain want a wideband though. Side not you can upgrade and buy the Pro module later for $249 I think.

I also looked at the Ngauge and thought it was pretty cool. Far as I know the nice part is you can load tunes onto the memory card and just switch between tunes on the gauge, and of course the display. No need to hook laptop up to vehicle. Think it also data logs on its own. You can hook a wideband and boost to it I believe, again via the analog input. Other than that I had trouble finding info on the gauge specifics.

Hope some of this help and please remember all this is what I've learned from doctor Google and Mr. You tube so no guarantee of accuracy.

Certain someone with experience can chime in and also correct anything I got wrong.
GL!
Awesome, thank you so much for this information! I will check out the videos, but I think you already answered quite a few of my questions. I didn't plan to datalog without my laptop, but it also looks like the pro interface is needed to do bluetooth between my laptop and the MPVI2? If so, I may want the pro version just for that lol. But if I am understanding what you wrote right, if I get the pro version with the extension module..then I have more options for wideband because they go into this module and not inline on the obd2 port? I have heard good things about the AEM wideband though, so that may be what I go with regardless.

As far as where I live in Kansas, I am about 20 minutes north of Hays, in Plainville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granatl View Post
A piece of advice -- change as LITTLE as possible.
I too have a 2010 ABM with a bunch of mods. It took like 1-1/2 years until I was happy with the tune in the car while getting comfortable w/ HP Tuners.
To this day, I still don't know how to tackle the transmission parameters.
Define a list of goals and then try to handle one at a time (but know that certain ones affect others, so having to revisit previous ones is perfectly normal).
Most beginners might want to start with the PE curves and possibly one (of like 12) ignition timing tables. Very likely, your current tune already have these pretty optimal.

That was certainly my goal, at least off the bat! My tuner has it somewhat close, so I don't think anything major is needed right now. One of my biggest issues is that my idle seems to bounce all over the place if the car is moving, like when I am coasting in neutral (manual transmission, so not as much to mess with as an auto on that side of things.) If I get on it and put it in neutral, my RPMs will bounce down to ~400 or lower, then stumble, and shoot up to like 16-1800. Once car comes to a stop it starts idling fine. My tuner has no idea what this is, as he hasn't tuned a lot of 5th gens and hadn't seen that issue before.

It helps that my day job often involves trying to learn a new software on the fly, so that I can diagnose why it is not working right for the end user. So while there is a huge curve to learn this, I think I can pick up on things at at least an average pace.
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
Tajefe Couple

Believe the MPVI2 does bluetooth without the pro module, not 100% on that. Haven't tried I prefer the USB-C but will have to try the bluetooth and see how it keeps up.
Yes would defiantly have more options for widebands with pro. Looking back kind of wished would have got the dual wideband to read both banks for more accurate tunes. Would just need to wire it in versus more of a plug and play option. Then set your parameters if not on the list in the tuner. The AEM is already a choice on the HP so didn't have to do that. Would think you might want Pro anyway for future things such as adding a boost gauge. Could always get the pro module later if you decide.
Certain more experienced could chime in to help more than I???
Again GL and let us know how things progress.

Off topic my daughter lives in Hays, a couple hours from us.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Tons of tuning info on youtube and hptuners/ls1tech forums. Search ls3 idle tuning or something similar
Old 05-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
EWY

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Check out the HP Tuners forum. There are a lot of people there willing to help. I dont mind helping as well, you can message me here or on the HP Tuners forum. I have the same screen name on both forums.

Happy Tuning
EWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
AEM makes several widebands. I run the AEM 30-4110, which does not go into the OBD2 port. It has an oxygen sensor that gets welded into a header collector, power + ground, then you run its 0-5volts signal wire to your MPVI Pro Input. I havent upgraded to the MPVI2 yet, so I'm not sure how that will interface with the wideband.

Any wideband with a 0-5 volt output can be used with HPTuners. You just need to know their offsets, but most of them are already preset in the VCM Scanner.

As far as tuning goes, even if you have your tuner adjust spark/fueling/maf/vve, you will still find countless uses for HPTuners. Easy stuff like tuning out CELs, changing to a 2bar MAP sensor, fuel injector upgrades, idle tuning, rev limiter, tire size/gear, changing even timing, all that stuff you can do yourself.

The number one most useful tool in my toolbox is the VCM Scanner (and a 10mm lol).

Over the years of watching my tuner, and comparing my tune files, I've gotten pretty comfortable. I could probably tune it myself, but I'd still need the dyno, so why not let the pro do it.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...

Last edited by eLeSthree; 05-22-2019 at 12:57 PM.
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #13
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
What makes these tuners that you hook to your OBD2 and laptop to, different from a professional tuner and a dyno?
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
Hey guys. I have decided I want to take the leap and start getting my feet wet in the world of tuning. I have a lot of vehicle knowledge in general, but virtually none of it involves tuning. My car is currently tuned by a local buddy of mine, but with life getting in the way, it can be really hard to meet up with him and spend much time on it. I am still having some issues, and while he will still help sometimes (and said he could certainly offer advice to some questions I had). I plan on doing a lot of mods over the years..so being self sufficient with tuning would be the end goal for me. Being someone who loves cars, and is a computer systems analyst by day, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that I can do this. Albeit, I am sure it's one hell of a learning curve.

Admittedly though, I am getting lost just trying to figure out what all I will need to get started. I was looking at the MPVI2, but it has some options and I am not sure what is needed vs what is extra. It says bundle with VCM suite (editor and scanner?), but I don't see the suite mentioned elsewhere. Is the software just downloaded elsewhere or does it come with the MPVI2?

Also, my tuner mentioned that his older model required the "pro" version to be able to use a wideband. I see mention of a pro feature set, is that still required to use one? I don't currently have one, but I figured that one would be needed for tuning purposes. In which case, is the AEM one the only one that works with HPT? I have seen them in a bundle together. Do I even NEED the afr gauge integrated, or is that just if I wish to datalog with it? (maybe I do?)

Then I just game across the ngage, and that opened up a whole bunch more questions. Does it function the same as the MPVI2, but also has a screen built in? Can it read a wideband? If so, does it make more sense to just get it, and run it as my AFR gauge when I am not tuning with it? Eventually I plan to be boosted, and was thinking I would have pillar gauges for boost and AFR..looks like this can display multiple stats at once?

Sorry if these are stupid questions..I just don't want to buy more than I actually need.
Jannetty Racing is an HPtuner, SCT, and Diablosport Dealer so we are happy to help you with advice and provide you with the correct equipment to tune your car on your own.

And if ever you get to a point where you feel you are over your head we can take over the tuning for you.

We carry everything Camaro so we are just a phone call

Feel free to call. 203-753-7223
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote