Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #29
Moonlight

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I believe that the purpose of my thread was how to get the best 0-60mph acceleration on L99

maybe we could get back on topic?
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:37 AM   #30
SGOS252382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I believe that the purpose of my thread was how to get the best 0-60mph acceleration on L99

maybe we could get back on topic?
It's very much on topic to discuss what modes do what. I'm trying to help you and others understand what mode you should use for the best acceleration. If guys are believing that in D or M (Sport) starts out in 2nd gear, they won't use those modes for the best acceleration (0-60mph, 1/4 mile).

The best acceleration for most guys is achieved by using D or M (Sport) letting the computer do the shifting. The majority of the fastest track times in this forum are by guys letting the computer do the shifting. I've always used D or M (Sport) at the track when drag racing. My times have also been near the top of the fast list (mod vs mod).

Using the tap shifts can produce fast times, but it very hard to make the 1-2 shift correctly. Most guys will bounce off the rev limiter or shift too early. 1st gear on the L99 A6 is very aggressive (redlines by 37mph). It can be really hard to keep your eyes on the road while watching the tach to make a correct shift. The tap shifts also have a slight delay so you have to shift at a lower rpm that expected.

So for most people, you'll run faster 0-60mph times and 1/4 mile times if you just use D or M (Sport) with the traction control off and let the computer do the shifting.
If you want you can turn everything off (hold TC down for 7 seconds). But I've always just turned off the TC. Both modes will produce good times.

Last edited by SGOS252382; 04-21-2010 at 05:52 AM.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:50 AM   #31
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
The above post is correct in that the 1ST-2ND shift is definately tough to get right although I do believe can produce the fastest times when you get it right. When you let the computer do the shifting you can excpect very consistent and strong 1/4 passes, great if you're a bracket racer.Remember though, if you do the same thing every time you will get the same results every time.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #32
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
if your unsure when in S Mode if the car is in 1st or 2nd gear:

at a dead stop, put car from D to M. tap the downshift button on the steering wheel. while doing this watch your RPM guage for a bump in RPMs. put shifter back to D. put shifter back to M and you should be in 1st.

but like explained above, if you were not using tapshift and in S Mode, then the car should already be in 1st.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #33
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Gold Bowtie is right about when it will start in 1st or 2nd gear. I also agree that you can get the exact same launch in M (Sport) and M (Manual). Only D-mode will be slower.
Not necessarily true. My best stock run (13.17) was in 'D' WITH traction control and everything else on. Why? I don't know. But that was in 90 degree heat and humidity high. So it was a good pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
so I found this on the manual. My guess is that when you first shift into S, it will start from 1st. but after you use tap shift, when the car is brought to a stop, it will shift to 2nd?

could someone correct me if im wrong?
Correct. By default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
There seems to be a lot of confusion on what gear your car starts out in, when you shift your car to D or M you will start out in 2ND gear, you will only start in 1ST if you use tap shift.V6 are different, they will start in 1ST.
Incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
I've been driving an A6 for 10 months and race it all the time. Trust me and read the post below.

You ALWAYS start out in 1st gear when using D (drive) or M (sport). If the computer is doing the shifting you will ALWAYS start out in 1st gear.

The ONLY time you don't start out in 1st gear is when you are using the tap shifts M (manual tap shift mode).

This has been discussed many times in the past.

Here is a test to prove it.

In D (Drive - computer does the shifting)
Start from a dead stop and mash the gas. Your car will shift from 1st to 2nd gear at 37 mph. That's where 1st gear redlines.

In M (Sport - computer does the shifting).
Start from a dead stop and mash the gas. Your car will shift from 1st to 2nd gear at 37 mph. That's where 1st gear redlines.

If you were in 2nd gear the computer wouldn't shift until 64 mph. That is where 2nd gear redlines.

In M (manual - tap shift mode) - You are in tap shift mode because you have touched the tap shift while in Sport mode.
In manual/tap shift mode if you slow down the computer will drop you down to 2nd gear. You MUST tap down to 1st gear or you will start in 2nd gear.

Again, the ONLY time you start out in 2nd gear is when you are using the tap shifts. All other modes you ALWAYS start out in 1st gear.
This is absolutely correct.

Quote:
Read your owners manual, pg. 8-30. If still in doubt put your car in m floor it, now do it again but this time use your tap shift to select 1St, floor it, see the difference?
There should be none. Unless there is a TM change, which, ...... there should be none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post
SGO is right. The only time the A6 will start you off in 2nd gear is after you've used tap shift and then come to a stop.

Think of it this way. If D or M (Sport mode without hitting the tap shift) started us off in 2nd all the time, then EVERY run by an A6 down a drag strip would have to use tap shift to get anywhere near a decent time, otherwise they would launch from 2nd and have a horrible 1/4 mile time.

I'd bet the reason that Manual mode downshifts to 2nd and not 1st is for safety reasons where some people may forget and accelerate a lot harder than they anticipated.
Correct.

Guys, it's really very simple. If you were starting off in second gear, not only would your times be significantly slower, but you would run out to 60mph without a gear change. Not really hard to figure out.

Just watch the tacometer and speedometer.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #34
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
However, to get back to the straight topic, on a stock SS A6, my best run was in 'D' and nothing turned off. I just floored it timing my left foot with my right. My left foot holding the brake and my right foot going down HARD on the accelerator to the floor. I've tried to 'Guide' the torque with the throttle but it is what it is. Conditions may be why this was the best way. It was a newly paved road and my car hooked up really good.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #35
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk View Post
How do you know that was your best run if it wasnt timed?
He was timing it.... I think he's talking about his foot timing from brake to gas.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #36
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
Quote:
There seems to be a lot of confusion on what gear your car starts out in, when you shift your car to D or M you will start out in 2ND gear, you will only start in 1ST if you use tap shift.V6 are different, they will start in 1ST.
You are adding to the confusion. How can you own an L99 and be so wrong?? Go out an try it sometime.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #37
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBowtie View Post
How can you own an L99 and be so wrong?? Go out an try it sometime.
It's not that simple...
Old 06-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #38
gmag21
gmag21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to gmag21 Send a message via Skype™ to gmag21
I ran a 2.2 sixty foot with M mode shifting itself.. I ran a 1.9 Sixty Foot using paddles

Wtf? :(

L99 | Billyboat Exhaust, American Racing Headers, Pfadt Springs and Sways, Tune | 350 whp / 371 tq
gmag21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #39
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag21 View Post
I ran a 2.2 sixty foot with M mode shifting itself.. I ran a 1.9 Sixty Foot using paddles

That just means you timed the manual shift (tap shift) almost perfectly. Good for you.

It appears everyone here is now in violent agreement:
  • Tap shift has the greatest potential for best times, but is the mode in which it is most difficult to do so, because you must find precisely the right moment to tap the button to make the actual shift happen right before the rev limiter kicks in.

• D or M modes provide a reliable launch (from 1st gear--every time--trust this, it is true), but are both slightly more conservative when shifting automatically than you might be if you managed the perfect shift sequence in tap shift mode.

Bottom line: Normally, you'll get better times in D or M. Once in awhile, when you get lucky (or if you practice in tap-shift mode enough), you'll get a faster time than you could have gotten in D or M mode.

Seems to me it would be fun to try all three options, many many times, and keep a log of the results. Would be interesting to see the results of, say 100 runs in each mode to compare the results.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 AM   #40
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
That just means you timed the manual shift (tap shift) almost perfectly. Good for you.

It appears everyone here is now in violent agreement:
  • Tap shift has the greatest potential for best times, but is the mode in which it is most difficult to do so, because you must find precisely the right moment to tap the button to make the actual shift happen right before the rev limiter kicks in.

• D or M modes provide a reliable launch (from 1st gear--every time--trust this, it is true), but are both slightly more conservative when shifting automatically than you might be if you managed the perfect shift sequence in tap shift mode.

Bottom line: Normally, you'll get better times in D or M. Once in awhile, when you get lucky (or if you practice in tap-shift mode enough), you'll get a faster time than you could have gotten in D or M mode.

Seems to me it would be fun to try all three options, many many times, and keep a log of the results. Would be interesting to see the results of, say 100 runs in each mode to compare the results.
With practice TAPshift can indeed be used. Get a tune and it'll be amazing. Shifts are firm, quick, and precise.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #41
SSrockSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Cyber Gray
...flintstone it.
SSrockSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #42
SGOS252382

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag21 View Post

2.2 sec 60' time means you're having some sort of traction issue (wheel spin or hop or a combinaton of both).

I always run my car using D (just plain old regular D with TC off) and my 60' times are in the 1.9x range (stock tires). My biggest issue is wheel spin/hop if I try to launch too aggressively.
My best 60' times are when I make a smooth gentle launch (TC off).

Last edited by SGOS252382; 07-02-2010 at 06:08 PM.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote