Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Santos
Santos

Drives: 1SS Blk 6M ECS 1500
Question Please help with my exhaust decision

Ok sonar of right now I have kooks 1 7/8 stepped, HF cats, and flowmaster huspower, sounds nice. Tomm I am getting magnaflow tru- xpipe installed, have searched for hours and can not find definite answer to my question... Will deleting resonators make car more or less "drone " prone , and also I was a little confused as I saw one member say their xpipe was installed where resonators were, why would you do that? I thought the fudged back the x pipe was placed the better, ie. Replace H pipe? Please any help would be appreciated as I'm having the install done tomm. Thanks yall
Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Depends on what you call drone. I have longtubes and a full 3" exhaust with X pipe and Hushpower mufflers and I have no drone at all. When you accelerate while at 1200 rpms and lug the engine, the frequency gets a little louder than normal (does the same with stock exhaust), but you don't have the pressure inducing pulsing that gives you a migraine.

With stock exhaust piping (2.5") you should have very little to no "hum" at all. If you change your muffler that might give you the drone that you're afraid of, but I bought the Hushpower mufflers myself because I didn't want to have drone. You should be good.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Drone is taken care of in the stock mufflers. The resonator just tones down the exhaust note. I replaced my H-pipe resonator section with a true X pipe and gained a nice growl with acceleration. Didn't affect the sound at cruise. If you have drone now, you'll have it after the X pipe. If you have a little drone, it could be louder. If you have no drone, you should be good.

The L99 cars have their resonator and H pipe all in one enclosed section. That's why you hear guys say they replaced their resonator with a X pipe.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote