Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Which CAI would you choose?
CAI 73 72.28%
Roto-Fab 8 7.92%
Other-Post what ones you think are worth waiting for. 20 19.80%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #43
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
(which also begs the question - why are the cars rated at 323hp at the crank yet dyno so low?)
Each of the various drivetrain components between the crank and the rear wheels place a certain amount of drag on the power the engine creates. It is called "parasitic loss".
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #44
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
I will take an AIRAID anyday!
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #45
12WhiteLS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Its not all about airflow, its about IAT. That is why our system performs so well, a lower IAT has a huge part in it getting the performance gains it does. We can keep the IAT as low as 2 degrees within ambient, which is where a lot of the power is made. Just food for thought, let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
So I'll replace plastic(which is less heat absorbent) with metal and insulate my airbox with reflective sun shade. I wonder why Ferrari or Lamborghini doesn't do this?
Even if my car dynoed 5 less HP because I didn't have a plexi glass window and air scoop I'd be happy to have saved the $400. CAI makes great looking products and I'll leave it at that.
12WhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #46
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Each of the various drivetrain components between the crank and the rear wheels place a certain amount of drag on the power the engine creates. It is called "parasitic loss".
Yeah, I'm aware of parasitic loss, but these cars seem to have much more loss than most, no? I know the online calculators aren't accurate, but according to the ones I've tried they all seem to calculate that 323hp at the crank would have 265-275rwhp. The stock LFX cars that have dynoed with automatics are more around 250rwhp. Again - I know there's a TON of variables there, weather conditions etc etc but 20 hp seems like a big margin of error.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #47
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12WhiteLS View Post
So I'll replace plastic(which is less heat absorbent) with metal and insulate my airbox with reflective sun shade. I wonder why Ferrari or Lamborghini doesn't do this?
Even if my car dynoed 5 less HP because I didn't have a plexi glass window and air scoop I'd be happy to have saved the $400. CAI makes great looking products and I'll leave it at that.
To each their own, we want customers to buy our products because they love the product and they understand the benefits that our design offers. Seeing that we can't keep them on the shelf, I would say the majority of consumers get what we are doing, and appreciate it. We respect both sides of the fence.

With all due respect, some of what you said "kind of" makes sense, but is not really apllicable for what we intended it for design wise. I would like to address it not to get in a back or forth type of thing which does not really benefit either one of us, but more so that consumers can have some solid information regarding our design and common questions that revolve around what you said.

You said: "So I'll replace plastic (which is less heat absorbent) with metal"

My response: Part of what you said has some truth to it, plastic does absorb heat at a slower rate than most metals do. However, there will be some heat soak no matter what material is used, but the real difference is when that heat soak occurs and to what extent. Our alumium tubes are ceramic coated, the same type of ceramic you would find on a nice set of headers. The reason we apply the ceramic coating is to reduce and prevent heat soak, and to keep the heat on the outside of the intake tube as opposed to soaking thru to the intake air. Now sitting at a stop light the metal might get hotter faster than a plastic tube, but we care more about the IAT than the oustide temperature of the materials used. Also, we are more concerned about the IAT and heat soak when the car is in motion, afterall thats when you are accelerating and would benefit from the increased performance our system offers.

You said: "and insulate my airbox with reflective sun shade"

My response: Yes we insulate our airbox, and the benefits are real. Afterall, you're buying a cold air intake, right?? Since that is what people are spending their hard earned money on, we feel it makes sense to try and make a cold air intake that lives up to the name and keeps the air as cool as possible, hence the ceramic coating and the insulating properties. Is it reflective, yes, but since we are not trying to insulate from heat caused by light from the sun, and are more concerned with the heat in the engine bay soaking through, we dont mind that the reflective outer layer just happens to be that way.

Between the insulated air box and the ceramic coated intake tube, we can keep the IAT within 2 degrees of ambient while the vehicle is driving. Pretty incredible results, verified by not only our own tests but by many people who have data logged and posted on this forum. In short, our insulating design elements work, are proven, and are one of the reasons we can consistently make more power than many of our competitors.

You said: "I wonder why Ferrari or Lamborghini doesn't do this?"

My response: Not really sure why any car manufacturer does or does not do things a certain way. Totally different car, engine, and market, probably a lot of things would be different, as I would hope they would be. Every vehicle has lots of aftermarket parts that are proven to make power, why they dont come with them from the factory probably has to do a lot with about a thousand different factors they have to consider when bringing a car to market.

Again, this post is not for debate purposes. It is simply to address your comments so that prospective consumers understand what we do, how we do it, why we do it, and what makes our intakes so poplular, just look at the poll!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #48
12WhiteLS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS M6
So basically you don't want me to respond to this argument you started? I'm sorry if it hurts your business if someone has a different viewpoint or opinion. Frankly I get tired of vendors being in forums for this very reason. Like I said CAI are nice looking intakes, I just suggest users do their research before purchasing any products. I feel like the greatest benefit from any intake is throttle response and to be honest the gains of any intake over another is marginal at best. I just have the interest of my fellow Camaro owners in mind and not a product I'm selling.
12WhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #49
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
Quote:
So basically you don't want me to respond to this argument you started? I'm sorry if it hurts your business if someone has a different viewpoint or opinion. Frankly I get tired of vendors being in forums for this very reason. Like I said CAI are nice looking intakes, I just suggest users do their research before purchasing any products. I feel like the greatest benefit from any intake is throttle response and to be honest the gains of any intake over another is marginal at best. I just have the interest of my fellow Camaro owners in mind and not a product I'm selling.
+1
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #50
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
So basically you don't want me to respond to this argument you started?

I'm sorry if it hurts your business if someone has a different viewpoint or opinion. Frankly I get tired of vendors being in forums for this very reason.

Like I said CAI are nice looking intakes, I just suggest users do their research before purchasing any products. I feel like the greatest benefit from any intake is throttle response and to be honest the gains of any intake over another is marginal at best. I just have the interest of my fellow Camaro owners in mind and not a product I'm selling.
Respond away, all I am saying is after both viewpoints are expressed there is no point in beating it to death. I simply wanted to address your statements, and not "argue" endlessly without purpose. I think most people would understand and appreciate that, I'm simply tryihg to be respectful of your opinion and offer information.

We welcome different viewpoints and opinions, otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum addressing them.

I would have to agree for the most part. Especially about people doing their research, I tell people that all the time.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #51
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
I made my choice last Friday, CAI, received it yesterday and installed it this evening. No drive time yet b/c of the rain but I will have it out this weekend. Thank Chase at Apex

Name:  DSC01029.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  135.8 KB
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A

Last edited by Silent...; 09-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #52
gafool

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM
Anyone have volant?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
gafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #53
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
I made my choice last Friday, CAI, received it yesterday and installed it this evening. No drive time yet b/c of the rain but I will have it out this weekend. Thank Chase at Apex

Attachment 419751
Awesome!! Thanks for choosing CAI Inc.! I love the Black/White color combo, looks great!!