Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Do i need additional guages when adding a cam?

So Ive tried reading up on this but no success this morning so I will just ask. I know most people add gauge pillars and stuff when they add forced induction mods to their cars, but should I be adding anything to monitor my car when adding a cam. Will be adding the cam and headers etc this winter and want to know if I should plan on purchasing an aftermarket gauge in order to monitor anything new.
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
No extra gauges are required. I sporadically check my Oil Pressure gauge, just as I did prior to having a cam.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
NO, a catch can would be nice along with a long list of things like bushing trunnions and ls7/2 style dampener and C5R timing chain etc.....
Old 12-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
JOURDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
So Ive tried reading up on this but no success this morning so I will just ask. I know most people add gauge pillars and stuff when they add forced induction mods to their cars, but should I be adding anything to monitor my car when adding a cam. Will be adding the cam and headers etc this winter and want to know if I should plan on purchasing an aftermarket gauge in order to monitor anything new.
I feel its a good idea to at least understand how things where before and after.

Bluetooth, iphone, android OBDII gauge or https://www.scangauge.com/ set is a great idea. I use scan gauge

Tracking the fuel trim maybe the most important data to monitor.

https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-...tandard-obdii/

https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/gm/

You can program the gauge to provide information on many many data streams
JOURDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Keep an eye on your fuel gauge !!!
Edelbrock EForce Blower, RDP custom grind cam with upgrades,Stainless Power Headers with HighFlow Cats, Stainless Power Retro catback, DSS halfshafts, CAI brand CAI, Tuned ON the Dyno by Steve at RDP. SLP rims,All vinyl stripes removed and painted on, custom hand painted pinstriping, Custom leather seats, Lloyds mats,windows tinted, Sparks emblems, Hurst Billit shifter, and too many small items to list. VDI Scissors doors.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
I see you have a 1SS so you might want to upgrade to the aux gauge pack so you can keep an eye on your oil pressure.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
A cam will require a custom tune so a AFR gauge and wideband sensor would be on the top of my list

I run a AEM brand AFR gauge and wideband sensor with no complaints
Old 12-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
A cam will require a custom tune so a AFR gauge and wideband sensor would be on the top of my list

I run a AEM brand AFR gauge and wideband sensor with no complaints
His tuner will have this. If he can't tune or data log he doesn't need any of this
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc615 View Post
His tuner will have this. If he can't tune or data log he doesn't need any of this
Agreed. Additional gauges are not needed, but if anything, monitor your oil pressure a little closer after a cam install.
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #10
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I'd have to agree, monitor the oil pressure and the trans temps as those tend to rise a bit when doing this kind of upgrade.
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #11
deddmoneydave

Drives: 5th gen
I like the aeroforce gauge that plugs into the obd port. Digital readout of everything the ecu has access to including KR so you will know if you get a bad tank of gas.
deddmoneydave is offline   Reply With Quote