Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.33%
No 1,353 84.67%
Voters: 1598. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #99
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
To Chevrolet Customer Svc:

My suggestion is that GM fix the ignition switch itself and make it less prone to being shut off by an outside object (harder to turn by hitting it with your knee) rather than take our nice flip keys away. This is bullshit. I paid for a 2010 model year car with a modern-looking key. I should not have to settle for a 2 part key as part of some "save-face campaign" safety recall.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #100
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate33 View Post
has happened to me...2x's

im 6-4 and knees close to steering column. First time...went to adjust position in seat and hit key and it shutoff. Not cool when going 75 in left lane on rt 78 in NJ

Move your seat and steering wheel back. I'm 6'4" and have never even come close to the keys.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #101
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
I will not be doing this recall since i can't recall a time i was ever so close my knee touched the fob. I DID however remove all my other keys from the FOB just to avoid the extra weight on the ignition switch. It's annoying when you now have too carry "2" sets of keys but easy when you run in a store and throw your fob in the pocket. If they switched to what a lot of cars have today which is the remote/keyless start, I would go and get that which is an upgrade. This is a little pointless since only 3 occurrences occurred

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #102
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
That would be the only way I would do it... Where's FBodyFather, we need to get him on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taf21979 View Post
I like the push button start idea. I had it in my 04 xlr ten years ago why not in 2014
Performance Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake | Pypes Cat-Back Exhaust | Aluminum Paddle Shifters | VaraRam Wedge | Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPC Pads | M.M. Ported Throttle Body | Kooks 1 7/8 Headers w/ High Flow Cats | Dyno Tune @ RPM
Cosmetic Mods: Rally Stripes (style1, style2, style2.2) | Splitter | Painted Calipers | Door Projector Lights | Front-Emblem Delete | Cup Holder Lighting | Quarter Window Covers | Phantom Grille | Ghosted Side Markers | Tinted Fog Lights | ZL1 Rockers | Tail Light Bezels
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #103
wakespeak

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Jett View Post
I'm not doing it either. You can "inadvertently" hit a regular key as well. If anything they should make it push button.
+1

If I arrange the seat for aggressive/track driving my knee does touch dangling keys (2). If I sit lower, I have to adjust the wheel down and it blocks out the gauges. That is my only gripe with this car.
NPP, 1LE track pack, ZL1/1LE shifter, Apex catch can, 1LE oil separator, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines,1LE strut tower brace. Wheels: 19x10 front and 19x11 rear w/1LE offsets. Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings. Z/28 upper control arm bushings. Hotchkiss 1" lowering springs, JRE built 3.91/TrueTrac diff. JRE tune for stock engine.
wakespeak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #104
BluePhoenix

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, ABM #162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
To Chevrolet Customer Svc:

My suggestion is that GM fix the ignition switch itself and make it less prone to being shut off by an outside object (harder to turn by hitting it with your knee) rather than take our nice flip keys away. This is bullshit. I paid for a 2010 model year car with a modern-looking key. I should not have to settle for a 2 part key as part of some "save-face campaign" safety recall.
Exactly.

I look forward to seeing how many people overall are all up in arms over this, to where they can't wait to get their car's in to service to have the keys replaced. Not all 5th gen owners are as level headed as those posting in this thread.

Notice that this recall affects only the Camaro, even though Malibu, Cruze, Sonic, and Equinox all use the same switch blade keys as the Camaro.
2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, L99, ABM/Silver. ABM #162 of 3903

BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #105
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Here's what they'll likely want to swap our switchblade keys for.
No thanks.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #106
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
After 5 years of ownership I had this exact thing happen to me three weeks ago for the first time. I was adjusting my seating position (moving my knee up) at 55 MPH and lost power. I quickly realized what happen and turned the ignition back to power and was just fine. I only have two keys on my key fob a house key and my garage key. I’m a bigger guy so when I am using cruise control and resting my right leg in the up position my two attached keys do touch my knee. I’m really not worried about the recall and do not plan on having it performed.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #107
brindleydt

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 1SS RS
I am not really happy about this. We all need to write chevy and make them come up with a different solution. I paid a lot of money for my car as I am sure all of you have and they need to keep it the way we want it.
brindleydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #108
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Come the F on? Really? Is the above picture the key, two pieces? So annoying. How is the dealer going to recode the PASS-III system? Can they do that at the shop or should they be sending out ahead of time for new keys?
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #109
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
This is one recall i will skip
i sit all the way back and love my key
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #110
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
Keeping mine as well.
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #111
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
There is no way I'm doing it unless somehow the dealer can force it. I have a lot of warranty left so I'm sure I'll have to visit a dealer eventually. I would assume that if they do it they will deactivate or keep the current keys. You could try keeping the spare, but something tells me it would no longer function after the recall work.

This seems like a really stupid recall, especially in light of the Cobalt recall. Remember on those the weight of the separate key fob was said to be the problem so they wanted you to drive with the ignition key only? Now on the Camaro they want to ADD a separate fob? How does than make any sense?
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #112
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Fug that shit, I hate having more keys than i need on my keychain.
I think they are just trying to CYOA so they dont get sued in the future
-Z/28 Splitter, Underbody Panel, Spoiler and grille
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall