Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
ramil13

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
Swap or Rebuild?

Got a free 2001 ford f150 4.2 long block V6 with a gasket leak problem.

If I swap I think I'll need new mounts for engine & trans. And the worst of it all.. a new wiring harness.

But if I rebuild the 4.2 I'll port heads etc get a huge cam with lifters, rockers, and springs. Also new crankshaft and forged pistons. Will lower compression ratio. Will be rated for 800+ HP not to mention it already has a bolted on SC
K&N intake, Custom Tune, Billet Catch Can, K.C's Ported 72mm TB & IM, Jacfab IM Spacer, Primary/Secondary Cat & Muffler Delete, Magnaflow Xpipe, 2.5" Straightpiped, GM Strut Tower Brace, Mace Engineering Cams, Solo Performance J pipes, Magnaflow Resonators x 2

340rwhp Dyno

ramil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Swap with what?
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
ramil13

Probably a V8 but I don't think it's worth it. I think rebuilding will be more stronger and beneficial, less effort
K&N intake, Custom Tune, Billet Catch Can, K.C's Ported 72mm TB & IM, Jacfab IM Spacer, Primary/Secondary Cat & Muffler Delete, Magnaflow Xpipe, 2.5" Straightpiped, GM Strut Tower Brace, Mace Engineering Cams, Solo Performance J pipes, Magnaflow Resonators x 2

340rwhp Dyno

Old 01-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I don't think I understand the question. What is this motor going in? Nevermind the extremely easy argument of "anything can be built for x strength" and the fact that if it has an era-correct Eaton M90? on it, you have found your limitation for power.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
ramil13

As stated originally, I got a free truck it has a 4.2L motor and i want to know what people think is worth the effort.

Swap for a different engine or completely rebuild the engine with performance parts to avoid building a new wiring harness / engine mounts. I want to make it fast and aswell carry stuff on it

It does not have a roots blower it has a centrifugal

340rwhp Dyno

Old 01-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

I would add a "with" somewhere in your OP then, because it sounds like you simply got a free 4.2L, and since in your OP you didn't mention swapping to a V8 it sounds like you're trying to shoehorn that motor into your Camaro. Not trying to nitpick. Just saying - I didn't understand the question and I doubt anyone else would either.

On topic. So does it have, say, a Vortech V1 on it then? And a 4.2 I assume is mated to a 4R70. (This is also where whether it's a 4 door, 2 door, 4WD or 2WD etc would give context you actually got a full truck and not just the motor)

Fast is subjective. Obviously you can throw a high stall converter on it and gear it with 4.56s or 4.88s. It'll always be a truck though. What are your goals? Off the line performance? Crazy top end? Nice middle ground?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #7
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Based on what I’ve seen over the last few years, it’s probably easier just building up your LFX with what’s currently available. There has always been a lot of talk about engine swapping but it always just seems too complicated, too expensive and too time consuming. In this case you would be working with an engine that no one here probably has experience with it so you will have to learn everything on your own and it may just be a big headache.
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
ramil13

Sorry guys I was talking about the truck not Camaro I couldn't find a different section to post this.

I meant modding the truck out

340rwhp Dyno

Old 01-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
12blkgrayRS

I was thinking otherwise like DSX was saying, Rebuild would be the cheap route to go with it. Swapping a V8, like say a 5.4 would definitely be the way to go if money was no object. it would be awesome if you can find a wrecked late model Shelby's engine...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #10
ramil13

Yeah that's what I think too.

The problem with the swap is the wiring harness would be a pain I would basically have to rewire the whole truck. Also get new custom welded engine mounts and a new transmission plate to fit onto mine or even worse, get a new transmission completely.

Shelby engines are expensive as heck. Theres a site here that i can get a fully built forged huge cams everything 4.3 long block for 9k still cheaper than a shelby and stronger. But I want to do it myself so

340rwhp Dyno

Old 01-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
ramil13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I would add a "with" somewhere in your OP then, because it sounds like you simply got a free 4.2L, and since in your OP you didn't mention swapping to a V8 it sounds like you're trying to shoehorn that motor into your Camaro. Not trying to nitpick. Just saying - I didn't understand the question and I doubt anyone else would either.

On topic. So does it have, say, a Vortech V1 on it then? And a 4.2 I assume is mated to a 4R70. (This is also where whether it's a 4 door, 2 door, 4WD or 2WD etc would give context you actually got a full truck and not just the motor)

Fast is subjective. Obviously you can throw a high stall converter on it and gear it with 4.56s or 4.88s. It'll always be a truck though. What are your goals? Off the line performance? Crazy top end? Nice middle ground?

this is a project truck so I'm going to enjoy rebuilding it I guess. The supercharger is a V1 Vortech

Also there's no stall converter because this is a manual transmission but will definitely need to change the input shaft and couple of trans parts

Goals are just mainly have a truck that can have serious power but at the same time carry stuff. I can easily make it a 1000rwhp truck. Also with this model its a very light truck... weighs the same as a hellcat LOL

RWD btw and no way I would never put it into the camaro.. the LFX engine is strong as it is

340rwhp Dyno

Last edited by ramil13; 01-11-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramil13 View Post
this is a project truck so I'm going to enjoy rebuilding it I guess. The supercharger is a V1 Vortech

Also there's no stall converter because this is a manual transmission but will definitely need to change the input shaft and couple of trans parts

Goals are just mainly have a truck that can have serious power but at the same time carry stuff. I can easily make it a 1000rwhp truck. Also with this model its a very light truck... weighs the same as a hellcat LOL

RWD btw and no way I would never put it into the camaro.. the LFX engine is strong as it is

Word. Frankly, a 5 speed sounds a lot better on paper anyway. Just gotta see about a nice clutch. I stand by what I said about gears though, I can't imagine 4.56 could be a bad choice. A quick google search says stock options are 3.08, 3.31 and 3.55. An argument could be made for 4.10/4.11s.

A V1 is good for just under 700hp if memory serves. Definitely won't be your limiting factor. Forged internals with some overbore and you can probably touch 4.3 or 4.4. I think you're on the right track.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #13
ramil13

Thanks, thats what i was thinking aswell. Definitely can't have stock gears or clutch its like playing with fire.

Planning to lift it, stance out the tires a bit, black out the lights, and rims aswell to make it angry a bit

One thing that's good about these old trucks is that the block is made out of cast iron not aluminum so they can withstand alot of pressure. Nowadays all cars are made from cast aluminium with other cheap plastic bs

340rwhp Dyno

Old 01-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #14
12blkgrayRS

Hmmm. maybe you just rebuild it first then plan the ultimate beast down the line, in order to save up...
or sell the parts you don't want (uh need is a better word) to get some project cash...