Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
psantoni51

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Goodyear Supercars bit me in the rear.

I have been running my stock Goodyear's at the track and they had been awesome up till last week. I have three hard track days on them. They must of cured because once they got hot they got greasy. I lost it going into turn 5 at njmp lightning spun into the grass and caught the guard rail. Worse part is had a set of brand new slicks I was going to put on for the next session to see how my lap times changed. Now the car needs a quarter panel and front fender and lower control arm plus my pride being hurt. I am think about going with the continental extreme contact sport for a street/rain tire for the track. What are your guys thoughts.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I have the Michelin PS4s and they are excellent.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Either MPSS or the newer MP4S. I'm running on MPSS for wet and dry, with a slightly narrower set for most street driving.

Once the spray in front of me stopped being an issue, well, camera shake down the main straight begins at about 110 mph. Pouring rain, about 2" fell that day.

Full disclosure, the PSS were not quite full tread depth, having a full track day and at least a couple thousand street miles on them at that point.

Norm
Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
No tire is going to defeat the laws of physics. Was the track wet? Was your entry speed into the turn, or your steering/brake inputs at fault? I've had good luck with the GY's, and have run 3+ hard days without too much of an issue.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
If it was a wet enough session, the short straight between T4 and T5 at Lightning picks up a lengthwise stream right about where you'd want to be putting your left side tires, which would be the ones to first find agriculture if your turn-in to T5 fails. I know of one 'off' that happened there in a novice lead-follow group.

Norm
Old 08-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
What were you running for cold tire pressures and what were the hot pressures in previous sessions when you came off the track? The Bridgestone engineers we had at an HPDE at Watkins Glen last year told us that the most likely cause of a tire getting "greasy" part way thru a session as they heat up is to high of a starting (cold) air pressure. When the tire heats up you lose contact patch as the air in the tire expands. Less contact patch equals less grip.

Sorry to hear about your incident.
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
psantoni51

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
The track was dry. I was running 28 psi on the front and 32 on the rear. When I got the car back to Phoenix performance we checked the tires with a durometer the compound must of hardened from sitting. They were as hard as the tires on my pick up
Old 08-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
MP4S are the best tires I have ever had, they blow away my MPSS's I had on before.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
running higher rear pressures will give you oversteer. The G2s loose grip at around 34-35 psi.... 32 cold means your probably getting into 40s at track. This means right as your fronts are at prime grip your rears drop off.... not a good combination. I cant believe how well the G2s perform on my 1LE... I keep buying sets for $400 slightlyused and they last me 8 track days easy. Yes they get slower due to sidewalls shot but still no chords after 8 hard track days. I run 28psi cold all around.