Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
AspiringCarGuy

Drives: 2018 Red Hot M6 ZL1
Oil Pump Died

Hi all- long time lurker, first time poster. Bought my M6 ZL1 new last August, and have been enjoying each of the nearly 14K miles I've put on it. Finally got it to the track Monday and Tuesday this week- part of an SCDA event at Virginia International Raceway. Quick shameless plug: the SCDA event was awesome! I learned a lot, met some great people, and my instructor was exceptional. VIR is a great track.

The car exceeded my expectations. It was 97+ degrees and humid both days, and the car never strayed from normal operating temperature no matter how long I kept the go pedal mashed to the floor. My instructor and I agreed to keep it below 140 mph on the back straight. I complied, mostly.

After the last lap of the last event of the last day, I did a cool down lap without incident. I pulled into pit lane, and at 25 mph, the low oil pressure warning came on the dash and the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero. I quickly pulled into the paddock and killed the ignition within 30 seconds of the warning indicator. I checked the oil level after letting it cool for a half hour- the oil level remained at the top of the dipstick hashed region the entire time. I followed the high performance manual supplement and used a Dexos 2 qualified 5W40 oil for track duty. Ended up getting it towed to the closest Chevy dealer. Bottom line: the oil pump failed and has to be replaced. I am still in southern VA- a new pump had to be overnighted to the dealer and if it arrives in time, it will be installed tomorrow and I can drive home tomorrow night. I give GM credit- all parts and labor are covered by the warranty, the tow was free, my rental car is paid for, and I can file for reimbursement for the hotel. My out of pocket expense is minimal.

Anyone else had this happen? I am concerned that the failed pump might have injected metal shrapnel into the engine. Is this possible? I'll ask for an oil sample to take to a lab to get it tested for metal. Anything else I should check before I take my ZL1 back?

Thanks!
AspiringCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
Boosted4life

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Yea it sounds like this is becoming a common issue. Myself along with a few others have experienced oil pump failure. Possibly a faulty part was installed in a handful of cars.
Boosted4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Ouch
What is the part number of this oil pump please?
I may order one (anticipation) when my car will be in Europe out of warranty to do the job myself if I have the same issue...

Common issue????
How many guys
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Good thing you didn't end up like this guy who had a catch can installed when this happened.

Glad you got taken car of... as it should be.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Good thing you didn't end up like this guy who had a catch can installed when this happened.

Glad you got taken car of... as it should be.
Ouch, glad I didn't get a catch can.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
Ouch, glad I didn't get a catch can.
They're really a no brainer once you start pushing hp. Not so necessary stock.

Either way, if one is so frightened to not push back when pushed (by the dealer), it really is a rather simple procedure to undo the cc. You may need a spare hose...but that's it.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
They're really a no brainer once you start pushing hp. Not so necessary stock.

Either way, if one is so frightened to not push back when pushed (by the dealer), it really is a rather simple procedure to undo the cc. You may need a spare hose...but that's it.
I had one on my gen 2 CTSV but that car drank oil so fast I was kinda forced to. So far my ZL1 doesn't drink oil.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
I had one on my gen 2 CTSV but that car drank oil so fast I was kinda forced to. So far my ZL1 doesn't drink oil.
I didn't realize that was a thing with the ZL1. It is a well known issue with the GT350.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
AspiringCarGuy

Update. Still sitting in the dealer waiting room (can’t really go amywhere else). Talked to the tech. He’s offered to stay late to get it done tonight. I suspect he’s got a family so I really appreciate that. He inspected the crank journals to make sure there was no evidence of high temps or bearing wear from the loss of oil pressure. That implies to me that he had to remove the connecting rod bolts and caps. That’s a lot of work but speaks well of the tech that he’s making sure everything is right. He also found that the hydraulic belt tensioner was leaking fluid. He had to remove that anyway so that’s getting replaced with a new one. I was not able to get an oil sample for metallurgical analysis as they started tearing the engine apart yesterday before I thought to ask. My concerns about metal fragments from the failed pump getting into the engine have been addressed. For any repair of this magnitude, they use an oil flushing machine that runs a lightweight oil through all of the block lubrication channels and it filters the oil to remove any debris and verifies that each channel is flowing clearly. I think I killed the ignition early enough to avoid wrecking the crankshaft bearings and distributing any fragments from the pump.

Interestingly, I was chatting with one of the other service reps. He said he’s seen cases where GM has denied warranty coverage because a non-GM oil filter was on the car. I found this hard to believe. Really?? Where does it spell out that detail in the manual or warranty fine print? How would one know? I changed my own oil last weekend in prep for the track and used a Dexos 2 certified oil and a GM high performance filter. Glad I did- but I’m not sure I chose it quite so consciously. This repair required 24 man hours of labor. 2 full days of their best tech plus assistants. If I had to pay for that, plus parts, because of an oil filter... yikes.

They’re also addressing the TSB related to sway bar end link nut torque. I definitely noticed a front suspension clunk at the track I hadn’t heard before.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Quote:
Neither does mine, and it's been a pleasant surprise. The LT1 in my '16 SS drank through 2-3 quarts sometimes between oil changes, but so far my ZL1 might use a few ounces in the same span of mileage. And my driving habits haven't changed at all.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
Rock_n_Rolla

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Do you have info on the GM High performance oil filter?
Rock_n_Rolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
phobos512

Drives: 2017 Audi S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringCarGuy View Post
Interestingly, I was chatting with one of the other service reps. He said he’s seen cases where GM has denied warranty coverage because a non-GM oil filter was on the car. I found this hard to believe.
You should find it hard to believe, because they can't require you to use factory parts. They would have to prove the oil filter was the cause of the issue.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

"Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."
phobos512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:23 PM   #13
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Everyone use a PF-64!!!! Sorry about your oil pump issue. I hope you get it resolved quickly and perfectly.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
AspiringCarGuy

Thanks phobos512 for the info on aftermarket parts. Very helpful. Even more so as it turns out I now have an opportunity to return to the dealer tomorrow to educate the service rep. The tech couldn’t get it done today after all. I told him I’d rather he take the time he needs to do it right and hit it fresh tomorrow than rush something. So, he needs 2 more hours tomorrow. I am now on my third unplanned night in the area. The dealer gave me a new GMC Canyon pickup to drive around, so that’s an improvement over the Enterprise rental car at least. I should be on the way home around noon, which means I’ll hit the DC Friday getaway rush at peak. I wouldn’t be so lucky as to have a week in my life without that. Oh well. It that’s the worst problem I have from here on out, I’ll be happy with that.

Rock_n_rolla- the filter in question is the AC Delco “Professional” PF 64 not “high performance” as I said earlier. I can never remember the right marketing BS buzz words. I chose AC Delco as it is a wholly owned subsidiary of GM, and I believe they brand many of the GM OEM parts. I have no idea what the difference is between a “professional” oil filter versus a “high mileage” filter versus any other marketing BS. The affiliation with GM was the only reason I chose AC Delco over Fram or Percolator or the others.

Tags
oil pump