Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Pope Designs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Rally Yellow
Pro Charger or Vortec?

I am trying to decide between the two. I have heard good things about both. Which will be more reliable running 6psi with a Head, CAM, header set up.
I am looking for a 600 RWHP street drivable car.

Thanks for teaching me so much. I am still a rookie.

Bryan
Pope Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Matt TuneTime

Drives: 2008 G8 gt / 2010 Camaro L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Designs View Post
I am trying to decide between the two. I have heard good things about both. Which will be more reliable running 6psi with a Head, CAM, header set up.
I am looking for a 600 RWHP street drivable car.

Thanks for teaching me so much. I am still a rookie.

Bryan
Procharger is louder ... Other then that your looking at similar power levels .
Matt TuneTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I want the louder one
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
MadMav

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
Vortec has had more reliable and quality systems from my experiance. But both will put out some nice numbers.

Mav
Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
X-treme Horsepower

Drives: 2010 LSX Shootout World AM Finalist
pro charger
we are a dealer for them and have been installing them for years and have never had any problems out of them
vortec is good as well but with personal experience i would say pro charger!!
if you are interested in one let me know i have some great deals on complete pro charger systems
X-treme Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Curt@BMCPerformance

Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
You'll be happy with either as they will both give you good reliable horespower at 6psi. At BMC we carry both but we have typically run more and more with the vortech systems. We have been installing and using them across all makes and models for some time. The nice thing with the vortechs is that they'll keep a 3year/36k mile powertrain warranty on the vehicle if installed by a Vortech Top Tier installer. The V3 system is a really awesome system as it requires no tapping of oil lines or the oil pan. It's a self contained lubricating unit.

The Vortech unit also comes with a canned tune from Vortech that will not only get you up and running but will also be safe to drive on and have fun with if you do not have access to a dyno or do not wish to get a custom dyno tune. The vortech also comes with a 10 rib belt rather then an 8 rib that the procharger carries. All in all i'd reccomend going with the Vortech over the Procharger.

Here is a link to all our 2010 camaro systems though:

http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/category...g Options Link

If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask!
Curt@BMCPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
MadMav

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt@BMCPerformance View Post
You'll be happy with either as they will both give you good reliable horespower at 6psi. At BMC we carry both but we have typically run more and more with the vortech systems. We have been installing and using them across all makes and models for some time. The nice thing with the vortechs is that they'll keep a 3year/36k mile powertrain warranty on the vehicle if installed by a Vortech Top Tier installer. The V3 system is a really awesome system as it requires no tapping of oil lines or the oil pan. It's a self contained lubricating unit.

The Vortech unit also comes with a canned tune from Vortech that will not only get you up and running but will also be safe to drive on and have fun with if you do not have access to a dyno or do not wish to get a custom dyno tune. The vortech also comes with a 10 rib belt rather then an 8 rib that the procharger carries. All in all i'd reccomend going with the Vortech over the Procharger.

Here is a link to all our 2010 camaro systems though:

http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/category...g Options Link

If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask!

From what I understand, is that Vortec's 3year/36k mile powertrain warranty only applys IF you use ther canned tune. If you change one peramiter then it'd void. Somebody correct me if I have heard wrong.

Mav
Old 12-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
eddie SS
ALWAYS A MARINE......!!!

Drives: 2010 camaro IOM/2SS/RS/sunroof
Send a message via AIM to eddie SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMav View Post
From what I understand, is that Vortec's 3year/36k mile powertrain warranty only applys IF you use ther canned tune. If you change one peramiter then it'd void. Somebody correct me if I have heard wrong.

Mav
Plus from what I have read, it also states that you cant have after market headers installed on top of only being able to run their tune. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mods so far: SOLO Performance MACH XL cat-back exhaust, NOWEEDS exhaust diverters, Tinted windows, gas cap decal, bow tie black outs, Cold Air Inc CAI, Eibach Pro kit lowering springs

Mods I have but not installed yet: rear trunk black out, Diablosport Trinity

Future Mods: ARH long tube w/ high flow cats or Dynatech's SuperMaXX long tube w/ high flow cats, Maggie S/C
eddie SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMav View Post

Mav
True. In order for the 36 mth/36000 mile warranty to be eligible, your car has to be 100% stock, no LT's, no cam, etc. and you must keep the original pulley on the supercharger and their canned tune. You will find this to be true with any supercharger manufacturers warranty.

Also, check out the quality of all the Vortech's components, they are way better than the Procharger. The Vortech uses an ATI Damper and pulleys, the Procharger uses a crank pulley that attaches to your OEM damper. The bracketry on the Vortech is way stronger than the Procharger's. The Charge air cooler is twice as big on the Vortech.
The location of the intake air filter on the Vortech is hands down better. The Vortech can be upgraded without any bracket changes. The Vortech can accept different sized belts just by changing positions of the tensioner and idler pulleys. No drilling needed. The Vortech's Bypass valve is also way better quality.
There is a reason why the Vortech is just now hitting the market, they did all their testing and R&D before they put it on the market instead of being the first one out there and letting the customers do the testing and R&D.

Last edited by mtcwby; 12-03-2009 at 01:40 PM.
mtcwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
Curt@BMCPerformance

Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Yea because think about it, if you add LT's and other major mods you would need to adapt and change the tune in order to get them to work properly and would be screwing with the vortech canned tune.
Curt@BMCPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt@BMCPerformance View Post
You'll be happy with either as they will both give you good reliable horespower at 6psi.
As Curt has stated both are good. I did tons of research on this a few years back and spoke with multiple racers and reps from both manufacturers. In general, the Vortec was preferred heavily by the small block Ford crowd. The ProCharger was favored heavier by the Chevy crowd, especially the big blocks.

It really comes down to your preference. You won't go wrong with either.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
As Curt has stated both are good. I did tons of research on this a few years back and spoke with multiple racers and reps from both manufacturers. In general, the Vortec was preferred heavily by the small block Ford crowd. The ProCharger was favored heavier by the Chevy crowd, especially the big blocks.

It really comes down to your preference. You won't go wrong with either.
This was true a few years back, but not true anymore.
Let me ask you this, Paxton or Procharger?
Well, Vortech and Paxton are built by the same company, but Vortech is their premier line now.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
This was true a few years back, but not true anymore.
Let me ask you this, Paxton or Procharger?
Well, Vortech and Paxton are built by the same company, but Vortech is their premier line now.

ha, ha... the original Paxton is O....L.....D.....

Vortec vs ProCharger is like Ford vs Chevy or Coke vs Pepsi, there are so many opinions on both.

That's a nice Vortech on yours, probably a blast when you mash the pedal !!
Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
I use ProCharger on our 73' RS/Z28 because I like the F1-R unit but Votech/Paxton makes a good product....

I'm for the 2010 Camaro ProCharger system. They're using it on the Pedders Camaro and that thing was ripping at Spring Mountain as well as Gingerman!

Last edited by JDP Motorsports; 12-03-2009 at 09:57 PM.
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote