Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #85
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
I wanna see what a run of the mill production GT will do, not a specially supplied by Ford for testing purposes car. We will have to wait until they are actually released and see.
Well chevy supplied an accurate car to these same type of tests by Motor Trend, and the mustang fanboys were crying just like that. I would assume that Ford isnt dumb enough to do send a modified car. but you are right, itl have to be out before it is all settled.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #86
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #87
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
I'd be hard pressed to argue that the 2011 Mustang GT isn't the better value this year: it looks like it's faster, definitely more nimble and the interior is a bit more refined. However, if Chevy does anything further for 2011 than it could swing the other way, but it doesn't appear that is going to happen.

I have to agree with Semper Fi that the buying public will see it that way as well; Chevy wants to spend time working on a niche vehicle at the expense of a mass market vehicle while Ford is focusing on the latter.
Yup. All I'm hoping is that just like Ford was caught off guard, and had to react to the Camaro, Chevy will react in kind, quickish!

Semper Fi!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #88
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
I'm not dogging the Mustang because I like them just as much as the Camaro. In my opinion its just a diiferent American muscle car. Competition is always good. As for performance... from what I have seen, atleast based on trap speeds, I would say it's a drivers race. The way so many are talking here, you would think they were getting low 12's out of it in every test.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #89
mfr1950

Drives: 2011 challengerR/T , 2010 Ram R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
I envy you. If I could just be satisfied with that I would still have tens of thousands of dollars that I have instead put into having the fastest car I can afford!! Oh well. Im a speed demon.
Having owned Gm f bodies since before your parents had you, I've had the fastest car I could afford,some things in life are more important than horsepower and a lead foot...
mfr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #90
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I think it's got as good as it's going to get...The Mustang is Favorite in the hearts of Americans.

I love both cars

sue me
Suit filed for false advertisement.

I disagree, and surely hope Chevrolet will put Camaro back on top.

Keep the faith alive people!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #91
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
I'm not dogging the Mustang because I like them just as much as the Camaro. In my opinion its just a diiferent American muscle car. Competition is always good. As for performance... from what I have seen, atleast based on trap speeds, I would say it's a drivers race. The way so many are talking here, you would think they were getting low 12's out of it in every test.
Almost, id say, but not quite.

0-60 Camaro

0-60 mustang

1/4 mile Camaro

13.1 @ 110

1/4 mile mustang

12.7 @ 112

almost a half second at the quarter is nothing to sneeze at. while i think a good driver in the Camaro could school an average driver in a mustang, take two average drivers, and the mustang will win consistently. :(

Semper Fi!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #92
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Suit filed for false advertisement.

I disagree, and surely hope Chevrolet will put Camaro back on top.

Keep the faith alive people!
nice. I have faith itl happen eventually, but during the time Chevy is waiting, Ford will be developing the next level too. I hope I'm just being cynical.

Semper Fi!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #93
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Almost, id say, but not quite.

0-60 Camaro

0-60 mustang

1/4 mile Camaro

13.1 @ 110

1/4 mile mustang

12.7 @ 112

almost a half second at the quarter is nothing to sneeze at. while i think a good driver in the Camaro could school an average driver in a mustang, take two average drivers, and the mustang will win consistently. :(
When it comes out, we shall see.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #94
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
Anyone remember this?

Interesting how they're conveniently now pulling 13.1's in their tests...

12.7 @111.3 mph vs 12.9 @110.7 mph isn't exactly earth shatteringly faster.
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #95
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
That's one opinion.

Just some counter points:

GM has found that many car owners no longer want NAV. They prefer to have cheaper equipment that they own and can be brought car to car. Studies have actually shown residuals are lower with NAV than without. But it does make a pretty pictures on your dash.

SYNC for me is not really a standout technology. It's ok that some disagree, but you are assuming that because Ford has it, then they are superior. I could tell you about the clinic participant that was sure she has SYNC. Actually tried to show they knew how to use it. Turns out they didn't have but apparently enjoyed yelling "BON JOVI" at their car. And OnStar can do everything SYNC can do but with a live operator. So again it just depends on you. And the features that OnStar offers, SYNC can't do.

The Mustang still has a solid rear axle................sorry.

So this is simply the age old debate. The GM powetrains both have more power. But the Camaro is a heavier but farrrrrrr roomier car. There are trade offs.

MY OPINION, is that both cars are outstanding. Both have loyal fan bases. Both are good for America if nothing more than keeping people interested and talking about great cars, just like we are doing here. For some it will be FE decision for others a HP decision, for others pure styling and yes there are people that believe in their hearts and minds that the Mustang is more beautiful than a Camaro.

But to your original question, will? Does GM have the will? Absolutely you can take my word for it. This car will be continually improved with some very exciting inovations, tweaks and chanes over the next several years. And you know what? I expect Ford will do the same. Don't think for a minute Ford is somehow in a differnt boat than GM. Ford owes a bunch of money to people other than the U.S. Government..............and they can't pull a Chrysler and go thanks for the money, we don't plan to pay you back though.

SYNC? Really?
''Studies have actually shown residuals are lower with NAV than without." Where did you hear that?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #96
Tal

Drives: Old
Everyone knows a next-gen LS engine is coming, it won't be MY2011 though. In any case the competition is good for us all resulting in better Mustangs and Camaros at the end of the day even if we don't know how quickly each counter will come that they're happening at all is great IMO.

Quote:
Look at the number of mustangs on the road compared to Camaros on the road. Although the Camaro started out wayyyy strong, mustang still sold more units last year. Those are facts.
Fact is the Camaro dominated in sales from the moment the plant was up to full speed. It remains to be seen if the 2011 Mustang changes that but it should have a better chance than the 2010, but Ford is losing the low end price advantage on the base V6's but considering how well they did with a Mustang that was all around outclassed it seems likely they'll be much stiffer competition for sales with the new powertrains.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #97
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'll be honest, when I decided I wanted a performance car, my first choice was a Mustang GT. I wanted one in the light blue with white stripes (not sure of the blue color name). Then I sat in a Mustang and I didn't fit. My next choice was a Challenger SRT-8 because of how much I love my 04 Ram 2500 Hemi, but something about the car didn't feel right, plus it was way too much money for the car (over $45,000). I decided to swing by the Chevy dealership and take a look, knowing I would never fit in it. I had always liked the Camaro, but I figured I would never fit (when you're 6'9" your car choices are limited). I sat in the Camaro and I fit very well. Then I made the vital mistake of driving a 2SS Camaro and it was love at first drive. Now I'm waiting for my car to be delivered. Man I love these car's!
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #98
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Says a mustang guy.
Yeah sales really proved that.....
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, 5.0, mustang gt