Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
DEANGE2001

Drives: 2010 2ss LSR CAI, Borla S axle back
Question about Hurst short throw shifter...

So the other day I let a friend take a look at my camaro. He didnt do anything special just sat in the front seat and moved the shifter around a bit.

When i got in to drive a few minutes later, the shifter felt very lose in 3rd and 4th (when in gear there is some definite play that i never noticed before).

Every other gear feels fine, very tight with little to no wiggle. But again, 3rd and 4th have a lot of play when in gear.

Is this something I should look into further? I do not have much time or the tools to get the car up and pull things apart to investigate - at least not without getting a friend involved and making it into a production.

Just wanted to hear people's thoughts and see if I should check it out or have it checked out etc.

Thanks!

"cmon, the engine has all forged internals...its just begging to be blown"
DEANGE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Deezee

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Hurst factory or aftermarket?
Deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
DEANGE2001

Sorry, aftermarket.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
DEANGE2001

My concern is that my buddy may have accidentally done something to the bushing(s) or perhaps caused one of the clips that holds the little rod in place at the base of the shifter to pop off (i really hope not).

It could just be worn in but it definitely felt much looser than i ever noticed after he got out.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
DEANGE2001

thoughts? anyone?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
get the Hurst racing bushing..... you will love it no play at all!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
DEANGE2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-22 View Post
get the Hurst racing bushing..... you will love it no play at all!!!

Does that mean you think the play i have (again only in 3rd/4th gear) is normal and is attributed to the bushing?

I basically want to make sure I do not need to get underneath and check things out...not trying to have things get worse/more loose and start missing gears.

I have only had the shifter for about 3 months.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
DEANGE2001

cmon peeps i need some of the good ol'fashion feedback from the many knowledgeable members on here!

and I dont want to take the time to check things out if it is not necessary - just not enough time in the day.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
The bushing is the likely cause. It shouldn't matter what was being done with the shifter; if it loosened up, it was about to come loose on its own anyway.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
DEANGE2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
The bushing is the likely cause. It shouldn't matter what was being done with the shifter; if it loosened up, it was about to come loose on its own anyway.

Do you think it is cause for concern? aka should i replace the bushing or is this just a natural thing to expect that after time the bushing breaks in (i dont think they can really come lose right?)

Thanks for the feedback Strych!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
If it bothers you and it wasn't doing it before then you need to look into replacing the bushing. Otherwise you'll never be happy. Maybe call Hurst and talk with them about it.

With that being said, one of the reasons I got rid of Hurst was due to the slop. At the time I got my shifter there wasn't a bushing kit or whatever it is they sent out to take the slop out of the shifter. From my understanding now there really isn't supposed to be any slop.

Here is what mine was like at the time.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=hurst

If you can get some video and post it you might get some more feedback.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
DEANGE2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
If it bothers you and it wasn't doing it before then you need to look into replacing the bushing. Otherwise you'll never be happy. Maybe call Hurst and talk with them about it.

With that being said, one of the reasons I got rid of Hurst was due to the slop. At the time I got my shifter there wasn't a bushing kit or whatever it is they sent out to take the slop out of the shifter. From my understanding now there really isn't supposed to be any slop.

Here is what mine was like at the time.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=hurst

If you can get some video and post it you might get some more feedback.

Thanks caverman...i actually did some research and found that thread/video you made...yours appeared to have more "slop" than what mine is currently.

Also, I did call Hurst and the guy said it was most likely the bushing but that he did not think it was any cause for concern as it is only 3 months old. He did mention that if it continues to get worse it will just be physically and visibly annoying but it would not cause any missed gears during a shit.

I guess for a while they had issues with some play in the shifter and that the newer models should be good to go (i guess not though).

I will wait and see what happens if it gets worse i may just bone up and get the MGW...the tech support did tell me they would send a replacement bushing as well for free...but i figure if i am going to take things apart to put in anew bushing, i might as well put in a better shifter that will not cause issues.

I will look into doing a video asap...thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
I have the aftermarket Hurst short throw in mine. I had actually ordered the factor Hurst shifter but dealer installed the aftermarket one. I can tell you that I have just about 3/8" play (slop) in my shifter after 8 months and 16,000 miles. It is not annoying but I do wonder if it is causing any harm to the syncros. I get an occasional vibration from the shifter but nothing crazy.

I drove a friends Camaro a couple of weeks ago that has the MGW shifter and it felt 100 times better than my Hurst. Extremely short throw and everything was very precise.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
DEANGE2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
I have the aftermarket Hurst short throw in mine. I had actually ordered the factor Hurst shifter but dealer installed the aftermarket one. I can tell you that I have just about 3/8" play (slop) in my shifter after 8 months and 16,000 miles. It is not annoying but I do wonder if it is causing any harm to the syncros. I get an occasional vibration from the shifter but nothing crazy.

I drove a friends Camaro a couple of weeks ago that has the MGW shifter and it felt 100 times better than my Hurst. Extremely short throw and everything was very precise.

Ok - that is about how much play i have (but again, its only in 3rd and 4th, all other gears feel as tight as they did upon initial install)...

but you share my concerns...i can get over the little bit of play, just dont want to have that result in something else (it really shouldnt if it is just the bushing but i am no mechnic either...)

i plan on waiting to see if it gets worse...if it does i may move to a different shifter unless Hurst has a solid replacement that wont get lose wear in so quickly).