Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #449
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Better weather today at VIR vs. two weeks ago, but just by a bit. High of 46 degrees and wet. Pavement was mostly dry in my last session today. Looking forward to warm and sunny for the rest of the weekend.

Getting more used to the car. It turns in so fast that it feels like oversteer but it's not. Brakes bedded well and are awesome. Engine is nice and strong - hit 159 on the back stretch. When it does oversteer it is very controllable.

Here's a video of my best lap of the day: 2:18:39.

Looking forward to beating that tomorrow!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEinnz2x2L4&feature=youtu.be

PS I hate Harry's Laptimer. Gotta find a better solution. The autofocus thing is killing me. (Yes, I have tried locking autofocus - does not help)

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #450
KGL35

Drives: 2011 RS/SS
just got caught up on the last 7 pages, amazing build, you guys built one hell of a monster.
KGL35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #451
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
159... and counting.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #452
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Better weather today at VIR vs. two weeks ago, but just by a bit. High of 46 degrees and wet. Pavement was mostly dry in my last session today. Looking forward to warm and sunny for the rest of the weekend.

Getting more used to the car. It turns in so fast that it feels like oversteer but it's not. Brakes bedded well and are awesome. Engine is nice and strong - hit 159 on the back stretch. When it does oversteer it is very controllable.

Here's a video of my best lap of the day: 2:18:39.

Looking forward to beating that tomorrow!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEinnz2x2L4&feature=youtu.be

PS I hate Harry's Laptimer. Gotta find a better solution. The autofocus thing is killing me. (Yes, I have tried locking autofocus - does not help)
you should try a noise cancelling mic to mount on your rear. i just clipped mine on my license plate. 30 bucks on amazon. olympus m-52 or something like that.

heres a clip:https://youtu.be/8D88lkJscA4
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #453
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by forklord View Post
you should try a noise cancelling mic to mount on your rear. i just clipped mine on my license plate. 30 bucks on amazon. olympus m-52 or something like that.

heres a clip:https://youtu.be/8D88lkJscA4
Thanks man. You're right - the audio sucks.

I think I'm at the point where I am done using my phone to be my video and lap timing unit. Time to find something that has good quality video and audio...

Pete

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #454
JusticePete

I know a guy...
Old 03-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #455
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Thanks man. You're right - the audio sucks.

I think I'm at the point where I am done using my phone to be my video and lap timing unit. Time to find something that has good quality video and audio...

Pete
You don't need to break the bank for a very accurate lap timer and video. My setup:
  1. XGPS160 BT GPS $160. There are cheaper units available, but this gave the best performance/reception, especially at 10Hz.
  2. RaceChrono for Android
  3. GoPro 3 or better. I record at 1080p medium zoom, sport exposure.
  4. Dashboard app to bring it all together on a Windows PC.

Also:
Bluetooth OBDII bongle for telematics. Very useful if you'd like to log temps, RPM, and display them on video.

RaceChrono supports multiple channels, so you can feed both GPS receiver and OBDII bongle to it (you don't need to sun separate programs). Even the $1000 systems are not any more accurate than the GPS receiver above, so I would not bother investing in them, unless you decide to surround your car with other sensors like the magazines (like steering angle, g-sensors, etc.).
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #456
JusticePete

I know a guy.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #457
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
You don't need to break the bank for a very accurate lap timer and video. My setup:
  1. XGPS160 BT GPS $160. There are cheaper units available, but this gave the best performance/reception, especially at 10Hz.

Also:
Bluetooth OBDII bongle for telematics. Very useful if you'd like to log temps, RPM, and display them on video.

RaceChrono supports multiple channels, so you can feed both GPS receiver and OBDII bongle to it (you don't need to sun separate programs). Even the $1000 systems are not any more accurate than the GPS receiver above, so I would not bother investing in them, unless you decide to surround your car with other sensors like the magazines (like steering angle, g-sensors, etc.).

valuable info. I will be noting this. Im not sure if my gopro is a 2 or 3 lol. I think its a hero 2. Why does it need to be a 3?wifi?
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #458
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by forklord View Post
valuable info. I will be noting this. Im not sure if my gopro is a 2 or 3 lol. I think its a hero 2. Why does it need to be a 3?wifi?
Oh, sorry for sounding like it's needed. I have had all versions of GoPros, and the video quality was better starting 3 series, that's all.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #459
SSSoon

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

JusticePete brought some cameras today and we got a little video (better than the iPhone video, but didn't get data overlay working).

Here's the best run of the weekend, from my crappy iPhone:

http://youtu.be/7uqe5RH39zk

2:15 and change. On the back stretch I only hit 150 (did 160-161 on other runs) because the transmission decided that when I shifted from 3-4, it should help me along by shifting from 4-5 as well. Easily 1/2 second there, maybe a full second.

I'll try to get some of the better video loaded this week. I think it will be a little more complicated to do overlays on it but we will see.

Brakes were awesome. Hauled me down really well. Gave me lots of confidence to brake very late. I should put together an outtakes reel of me braking my ass off when the guy ahead of me on a long straight decides to slow WAY down before taking a corner. Wilwoods performed like a champ, and the pads have lots of thickness left after 3 days. I am impressed.

Suspension is terrific. No understeer, and the oversteer was actually really easy to catch. Ran over all manner of gator and the car handled it smoothly and got back to business the moment I came off the curb.

Needless to say, the engine is unbelievable. I was running HPDE3 with open passing, no point bys required. It's a pretty fast group (NASA). Most of the guys there were on slicks (I was one of the few who wasn't). Had a great time chasing down a red C5. Had a lot of people from my run group come by after sessions to ask how the hell a Camaro was passing them like they were standing still. It's a rocket.

Pete

Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #460
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Holy crap... That thing is a guided missile... Hmwtfbbqsammiches...

Not fair... Reelin in perch with the big game rod.. Damn that car is amazing and the driver is on his game as well..

You passed the first car in the video so fast I couldn't tell what it was... Geeeezzzee...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #461
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Holy crap... That thing is a guided missile... Hmwtfbbqsammiches...

Not fair... Reelin in perch with the big game rod.. Damn that car is amazing and the driver is on his game as well..

You passed the first car in the video so fast I couldn't tell what it was... Geeeezzzee...
It's fun. Some of the other guys in my run group told me that when they see me way behind them on the straight they just stick their hands out and don't even bother to lift to let me pass.

So I'm driving my son to school today in my truck and had a momentary panic attack when I turned my head and didn't feel my HANS. lol.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #462
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Looks like that is an awesome track car!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post

Also:

Two weeks ago at my last track event I tried using Harry's Lap Timer and it just didn't work. Another one of my club members was having issues with his but eventually got it to work. Next track event I'm going to give that RaceChrono a try. It looks very easy to use. From what I can tell you just hit "start" then select your track and then just start driving??
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote