Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #141
LT4Lover
LT4Lover

Drives: 2011 SG 2SS/RS,'97 30th Z28 SS LT4
Great feature - will make travelling on the highway in 'deer country' a whole lot safer.
LT4Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #142
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I for one am angry that HUD came out on the 2011, but that's because it DIDN'T come out on the 2010 at all, so I missed getting it.

On the other hand, far too many people jumped down my throat for saying that the backup sensor should be an OPTION, so I can't get on board with anyone complaining that HUD should be optional.

All I can hope for is a retrofit kit. I hope it is do-able.
I think that is a different response than what most are implying. It seems most are implying that HUD is lame and completely un-necessary. I just find it amusing how some people compaining it wasn't part of the car last year, are the ones saying "too distracting, lame, don't need it.....etc."

i don't blame those that wanted it last year, and still want it.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #143
LAWMAN

Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
i think the hud is a good feature to have,but how many folks actually look down at their speed, if you are on an interstate your gonna set the cruise anyway,as i said,a good neat feature but not a must have for me,...but i do hope that g.m. offers the hurst shifter for the 2010 that is gonna be standard in the 2011,
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #144
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
I guess they don't call it a 'crash' for nothin'!
ooo missed that! logged off right after my post LMAO

PS I'm getting rich off of my Apple stock...
Old 04-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #145
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
Pretty cool gadget, I could do without it.

Agree.
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #146
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Its neat, GM could easily make it do more telemetry like an accelerometer, boost input, shift light and sword fighting stick figures!!!
I wonder what the chances are of a dash mounted pod for existing cars??
Old 04-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #147
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom.5SS View Post
Its neat, GM could easily make it do more telemetry like an accelerometer, boost input, shift light and sword fighting stick figures!!!
I wonder what the chances are of a dash mounted pod for existing cars??
IT's been stated that all that is needed is a new dash and windshield along with the unit itself. Which may or may not be a part of the dash when purchased. I plan to upgrade my 2010 as soon as I can. As I mentioned earlier I already need a new windshield, since 3 days after I picked up my car.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #148
op z

Drives: Corvette
For those considering this mod, you will find that once you drive a car with the HUD you will wonder how you were able to live without it. I installed one on my C6 Corvette and now I rarely ever use the speedometer and tach. The HUD is adjustable up/down, brightness is ajustable and it does not require a special windshield. The windshield rumor was rampant on the Corvette forums too. The may be some minor improvement with the "special windshield", but not enough to warrant changing the windshield or delaying installation of this mod.

The Corvette HUD requires splicing of 6 conductors from a custom harness into the existing wiring behind the instrument panel speedometer/tach. The ability to install a HUD into a 2010 Camaro will depend on whether the threaded mounting posts for the projector are there for the 2010 model. I suspect they are. The projector requires a fairly large piece of real estate behind the instrument panel. Since the HUD was planned for the Camaro from the beginning, it makes sense that the posts are there.

If the posts are there, the install will require installing the control switch, projector, custom wiring harness, and whatever mod is needed for the dashboard. The mod only takes a couple hours to install on a Corvette. It should be similar for a Camaro. If someone has a wiring diagram for the connectors behind the speedometer/tach, we can start working on the harness. I have manufactured and sold over 50 HUD harnesses on the Corvette forum. I am confident that Camaro harness will be doable. I suspect the dash piece may be the most costly part of this mod for 2010 Camaros. For the Corvette, the total cost of the mod is $375 for all the parts.

There is one other challenge. GM does not allow the dealers to sell the projectors for installation into non-HUD cars. Some dealers listen to GM and refuse to sell the projectors. There are others that work with the forums to get this mod into their rides.

For the time being, I need more information. Are the mounting posts there in the 2010 Camaros? Has anyone had their dash apart? Does anyone have a service manual showing the instrument panel connector wiring?
op z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #149
geminidreams

Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
I would have loved that option on the 2010...
Old 04-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #150
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDude View Post
That's all it does?? ... I really expected more for all the hype! Oh well, to each their own, but I wouldn't trade my 2SS in just to have that feature.

Basically, it just projects your speed ( and a few other small things ) on your window, but I would find it too distracting as I drive. I feel my eyes would be constantly drawn to it. I think the current dash board indicator is just fine for what I'm looking for and really wouldn't want to pay an extra $400 or so more for this.

Attachment 114611

Attachment 114612
I agree with the distractions. I like the indicator between the analog guages. I don't know what i'd do without the digital speedo. That needle on the analog speed must cover 5 mph!
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #151
manaya
INTERNET SALES

Drives: 2001 silverado
ITS [PRETTY COOL IN THE CORVETTE, YOU GET USED TO IT

MSRP FOR SOLD CAMARO ORDERS!
CALL ME ANYTIME, FOR ANY REASON!
THANK YOU,
MARK ANTHONY ANAYA
JOHN L. SULLIVAN CHEVROLET/SATURN
INTERNET SALES MANAGER
916-781-8212 FAX 916-782-2159
marka@chevyworld.com
manaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 AM   #152
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by op z View Post
For those considering this mod, you will find that once you drive a car with the HUD you will wonder how you were able to live without it. I installed one on my C6 Corvette and now I rarely ever use the speedometer and tach. The HUD is adjustable up/down, brightness is ajustable and it does not require a special windshield. The windshield rumor was rampant on the Corvette forums too. The may be some minor improvement with the "special windshield", but not enough to warrant changing the windshield or delaying installation of this mod.

The Corvette HUD requires splicing of 6 conductors from a custom harness into the existing wiring behind the instrument panel speedometer/tach. The ability to install a HUD into a 2010 Camaro will depend on whether the threaded mounting posts for the projector are there for the 2010 model. I suspect they are. The projector requires a fairly large piece of real estate behind the instrument panel. Since the HUD was planned for the Camaro from the beginning, it makes sense that the posts are there.

If the posts are there, the install will require installing the control switch, projector, custom wiring harness, and whatever mod is needed for the dashboard. The mod only takes a couple hours to install on a Corvette. It should be similar for a Camaro. If someone has a wiring diagram for the connectors behind the speedometer/tach, we can start working on the harness. I have manufactured and sold over 50 HUD harnesses on the Corvette forum. I am confident that Camaro harness will be doable. I suspect the dash piece may be the most costly part of this mod for 2010 Camaros. For the Corvette, the total cost of the mod is $375 for all the parts.

There is one other challenge. GM does not allow the dealers to sell the projectors for installation into non-HUD cars. Some dealers listen to GM and refuse to sell the projectors. There are others that work with the forums to get this mod into their rides.

For the time being, I need more information. Are the mounting posts there in the 2010 Camaros? Has anyone had their dash apart? Does anyone have a service manual showing the instrument panel connector wiring?

This is music to my ears!! I need to replace my windshield regardless, but $375 for the whole mod would be AWESOME!! Thanks for your input, I hope you can do a plug n play harness, i hate tapping into stock wires.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #153
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by op z View Post

Have you received the information you need yet?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #154
DUGG

Drives: 2010 Imperial Blue Metallic 2LT
What's the verdict on whether or not HUD can be retrofitted into a 2010? A friendly diesel truck threw a large rock at my windshield and I need to replace it anyhow.....
DUGG is offline   Reply With Quote