Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
This is the first ever recall that everyone will not use! lmao...
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:40 AM   #16
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
This is the first ever recall that everyone will not use! lmao...
Why do people say every one will will or will not do for some thing but at least I got my laugh for today. By the poll taken 223 owners are going to get the recall and I am one of them. I never did like the switch blade. Have to press a button to open it to get5 the key out and then have press the button fold the key back in.

Last edited by Caddyroger; 07-15-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
I am to get rid bulky junk off my key ring.
Guess you don't like the push-button door locks, huh? Because if you do, you won't be able to "get rid bulky junk off" your key ring. You'll have the old "bulky junk" plus more slightly less bulky junk in the form of the new key that won't do anything but start the car.

Last edited by Lee123; 07-15-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #18
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Here's a question for the lawyers out there, or those who would like to be lawyers and read and understand every word in the papers we sign to buy a car.

When you buy the car (not lease), and especially after you have paid any loan in full and have the title to your car, does the manufacturer retain the right to modify the car or even the keys without your permission? I would guess no, but I'm not a lawyer and there might be something in the fine print giving them permission to do it.

I ran into a situation of this type with my previous car, a BMW 135i convertible. I was refusing the periodic updates to the engine/transmission software because the latest one reduced power and softened shifting. The display on the radio went bad and when I took it in to have the radio changed under warranty they removed the radio and then called me and said they would have to put on "all the updates" in order to replace the radio. I tried telling them that I owned the car and they had no right to modify the software to change the way it runs, but they said they couldn't replace the radio without doing the updates. Sure enough, it reduced the power and made it shift slower. I thought it was just BMW's big headed German attitude that they could modify your car after you bought it. 2 weeks later I traded it for the Camaro. Now I'm hearing of people's keys being switched against their wishes and I'm wondering if all the manufactures have the right to do what they want to your car after you buy it.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
Robvas

Drives: G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Just another example why I do my own maintenance and I would never buy tires from dealer at there usual mark up I can find and pick out the exact tire I want and have them delivered and installed at one the local chains for way cheaper money. Maybe some dealers are better then other but I don't want to find out.
Most of the dealers around here will match Discount Tire etc.
Robvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #20
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
First "might is right" may not be fair but have fun fighting there multi billion dollar pockets, and they feel bit more powerful since the government told them they were to big to fail and to important to our economy. That kinda power goes to the head. The BMW thats a tight rope walk there, you could keep your old "better" software but they cant do any warranty work or any repairs that need to be hooked to there computers to program the car. Most new cars and even big rigs every new part has to be programed into the VCU and ECU or it will not be recognized buy the vehicle. its real pain in the ass and they do it on purpose so you need to go to the dealer. is it right is it wrong tough call i dont like it for sure. Most cars have gone truly digital instead 5-6-10-20 wires going from here to there with information they can send one wire to multiple parts or gauges or senors as long as the VCU or ECU knows what that part is. Kinda like TV you dont have one wire for each channel the send it all on one wire and your box can sort it because each one has its own digital signature. And I am sure in that mound of paper work they have disclaimer that the can make updates and changes to the car for what every reason they see fit as long as it doesnt change they general purpose of they vehichle. For example you cant tell someone that bought F-350 that theres up date and the new tow rating is 4500 pounds down from 10000 pounds but I bet they could get away with dropping it to 8000 or 8500 and it would pass court hearing. Also with the BMW I bet peak horse power was same or really close but delivery was very different.

WOW that was long winded, bored at work today.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #21
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I'd be upset. No dealer for me after that. Wow..
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #22
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
I am a lawyer and I haven't researched anything particularly but my gut tells me if you want to take advantage of their warranty than you agree to certain limitations and obligations, including updating software if it needs be. The guy with the key issue may have opted out and he wasn't there for warranty work so that's a different issue than the BMW guy so my analysis isn't quite apples to apples, but I'd think that buried deep in the warranty is language allowing the manufacturer to install whatever updates or equipment it has deemed necessary for the proper operation of the vehicle.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #23
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I just like my switchblade key, so Id opt out.

On a side note, I tell guys who's car I calibrate, if you take it to the dealership and they think they are doing you a favor by upload a new calibration, Dont agrue with them because you might need to keep that relationship in good standing down the road. I back up all my calibrations, so just reach out for me and Ill upload your modified calibration again. It only take 2 minutes.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #24
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I would certainly not refuse software updates. Being an engineer myself, I respect the expertise of other engineers in specific areas where they know more than I do.

I'm on the fence about the whole key thing. I'm OK with the fob as is and would prefer to decline the change, but what about the mechanic who needs to drive my car after a repair? Maybe he will decline to drive the car if I haven't done the upgrade. He would have a legitimate point.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #25
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Everyone has good points on this issue. I wonder where the liability falls if you sign the opt out with the recall and then you are involved in a accident. I know how personal injury attorneys are and they will try to blame the accident on this. Will GM report any Camaro that opted out to the insurance companies and they cancel your insurance due to this is a so called safety issue. Will states that have inspections reject any Camaro that has opted out.

Last edited by Fred 6528; 07-15-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #26
roadblock

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE BRM
The dealership damaged your car. You have every right to demand that they make it whole.
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #27
2K14Ro

Drives: 2014 Black on Black 1SS RS
$26.77
http://www.keylessentryremotefob.com...p/20835406.htm

$44.77
http://www.keylessentryremotefob.com...p/13574863.htm
Old 07-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #28
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
Guess you don't like the push-button door locks, huh? Because if you do, you won't be able to "get rid bulky junk off" your key ring. You'll have the old "bulky junk" plus more slightly less bulky junk in the form of the new key that won't do anything but start the car.
Gm in the years before the switch blade has use the 2 piece system. The key and a separate FOB. The two put together would be as long or as thick as the switch blade.
For your information I have a aftermarket remote start and alarm system so I'll still be able to unlock and lock the doors plus have a longer range.