Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
My SS takes a little over 8 quarts to be right at full.
Yes. Point is, you don't want it full if you run your car hard. If not, it won't make any difference.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #30
Gillis

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
You should check your oil every time you put gas in it, period. Plus, the OEM-specified 8qts is too much oil for the V8 engines. 7qts (right on the add line) is where you want to keep it if you run your car hard. Why? Oil aerates at high RPM with 8qts in the crank case.
Can you explain more about this please?
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #31
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
That is time to change.
If you have a GM Certified car, you get free oil changes for a year. You will not receive your free oil change until the OLM reaches <22%. 35% is still very fresh.

I wouldn't worry about it until you're <20%. My oil just hit 19% today and I just scheduled a change at the dealer for Saturday morning as of 25 minutes ago. Just make sure to monitor the LEVEL of the oil. That's what will hurt your motor. Old, dirty oil at the proper level isn't nearly as big a problem as fresh oil that's low!!!
ChocoTaco369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #32
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
Can you explain more about this please?
Sure! If the oil level is high enough to allow the crankshaft counter-weights to "beat" into the oil in your pan, it foams up a bit from air being "whipped" into the oil.

Valve lifters are small hydraulic pumps, and depend on air-free oil to operate properly. By introducing aerated oil to them, it can affect performance and create undue lifter tick. Air compresses; oil does not. That small bit of compression caused by aerated oil can cost a few thousandths of an inch of valve lift, thus affecting overall performance of the engine.

In extremely aerated oil (filling way beyond the full mark), you can end up with cylinder scoring and bearing damage. Rare, but it could happen.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #33
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
If you have a GM Certified car, you get free oil changes for a year. You will not receive your free oil change until the OLM reaches <22%. 35% is still very fresh.

I wouldn't worry about it until you're <20%. My oil just hit 19% today and I just scheduled a change at the dealer for Saturday morning as of 25 minutes ago. Just make sure to monitor the LEVEL of the oil. That's what will hurt your motor. Old, dirty oil at the proper level isn't nearly as big a problem as fresh oil that's low!!!

My point was the olm is showing the time to change, not the level. I was not debating when to change.

Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #34
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
Really, Really!
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #35
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides of March View Post
I have a question about the oil percentage. I pretty much check the dipsticks for how low the oil is and when to fill it up with a bottle or two. My Oil is 35% which I know is low and my fault for letting it go that low. But I have to ask, Is that for the oil change or just when to give it a fill. I have about 2500 miles on my Camaro at the moment. I was just going to put some oil in myself, don't think it's oil change time yet. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Don't do what one of the guys that works for me did. Tried changing his oil for the first time for him self. pulled off the oil filter. put 5 quarts back in checked the trany stick said wow perfect right on the line. started it up made it about 1/8 mile had oil bubbling out every where smoke from it burning off allover the engine. pulls back in smoke pouring out from under hood 3 of us laughing at him start asking questions on steps he took. Figured out he never took out the drain plug to drain it i looked in the oil pan was maybe a quart in it car had 9 quarts in it when it only took 5. Luckily he didn't blow a head gasket or do any damage other then his manhood.

Last edited by trashmanssd; 02-20-2014 at 03:24 PM.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #36
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
a little knowledge can be helpful or very dangerous. If you are unsure there are no stupid questions. Stupid is thinking i should ask someone because i'm unsure and then ignoring that felling and doing it anyways and damaging something or someone.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #37
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
I agree with most of what the rest of you have said, but just wanted to point out OP has a V6, so the 7.5 and 8 quart discussions do not apply to him. Capacity on the V6 is only 6 quarts and they do use oil. It still shouldn't be overfilled, but it is a different engine design and we do often have to add oil between changes.

Trashmanssd - great story, funny for us, and another good point that if you don't know what you are doing don't work on your car! - at least not without asking someone who does know.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #38
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
As men, we would rather be a love pinata in a Mexican prison than read directions, or in this case an owner's manual. But all that info is in there.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #39
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
As men, we would rather be a love pinata in a Mexican prison than read directions, or in this case an owner's manual. But all that info is in there.
I'm not going to agree with you this time... what you do on your vacation is your own business, but I'd rather read the manual.

Last edited by Flashpoint135; 02-20-2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: edited and clarified for mclark
Flashpoint135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #40
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint135 View Post
I'm not going to agree with you this time...
lol, the Mexican prison part I'm guessing?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #41
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides of March View Post
I have a question about the oil percentage. I pretty much check the dipsticks for how low the oil is and when to fill it up with a bottle or two. My Oil is 35% which I know is low and my fault for letting it go that low. But I have to ask, Is that for the oil change or just when to give it a fill. I have about 2500 miles on my Camaro at the moment. I was just going to put some oil in myself, don't think it's oil change time yet. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
OP, maybe I'm the only one who read it this way, but did I read your post correct that you only add but not change your oil? If so, remind me to never buy a car from you. If not I apologize for the mis-read.

To answer your question, personally for a brand new car I recommend changing the oil absolutely no later than 5,000 miles into a new engine. Personally I would rather change after the 500 mile break in period so you know if anything isn't going right before you get too far into a new engine. However, 3-5k is a good rule of thumb.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #42
Mint

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
It's the oil life, tells you when to change it. What do you mean when you say you put more oil in when it went lower percent?
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote