Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 04-10-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
NEED A VIN NUMBER FOR A 69--Update 4-13-2016

I have found a 69 camaro that was made into a drag car years ago and can get it for a good price but I was wanting to put it back as a street car. Whoever made it into a drag car put a sheet metal dash in it and the vin is long gone. Does anyone know what to do to get a vin number or does someone here have one they will sell me? Thanks

I bought a 69 Z/28 clone today and I am stoked! I have been looking for one like I had when I was younger. The one I had was a real Z and it was hugger orange with white stripes and did not have a console. The gas gauge was in the center of the dash above the steering column since it did not have the console and this one is just like it. Same color inside and out. It is a twin to the one I had. The only thing I do not like is it has some custom wheels on it and they look like crap. They will go as soon as the car gets here. I will post a new thread with some pics when it gets here in about a week,maybe less.

Last edited by Bigtime53; 04-13-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Have fun converting an ex drag car. I did it to a 70 Formula and could not believe how expensive it was!
Attached Images

Ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
First of all your car already has a VIN. Second selling and/or swapping a VIN plate is HIGHLY illegal.
Am I to assume that you also do not have a title for the car? Laws vary from state to state as to re-issuing a title for the existing VIN or whether the state will assign a new specialty title/VIN like if you built a kit car or built a car with a Dynacorn body with no VIN.
Google '69 Camaro hidden VIN to find out where else the VIN (partial) is stamped on your car and then call your DMV/BMV. I suggest you not mention ANYTHING about attaching any VIN plates and only that is was removed when the dash was modified.
I knew a guy that had a clone of the '69 Donohue Camaro and it had an aluminum dash, VIN was removed. He did have a title for it. When he went to sell it we had to remove the cowl to access the partial VIN there so they could verify the VIN on the car matched the title.

Check out this thread:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/15-tag...idden-vin.html

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 04-12-2016 at 06:23 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
First of all your car already has a VIN. Second selling and/or swapping a VIN plate is HIGHLY illegal.
Am I to assume that you also do not have a title for the car? Laws vary from state to state as to re-issuing a title for the existing VIN or whether the state will assign a new specialty title/VIN like if you built a kit car or built a car with a Dynacorn body with no VIN.
Google '69 Camaro hidden VIN to find out where else the VIN (partial) is stamped on your car and then call your DMV/BMV. I suggest you not mention ANYTHING about attaching any VIN plates and only that is was removed when the dash was modified.
I knew a guy that had a clone of the '69 Donohue Camaro and it had an aluminum dash, VIN was removed. He did have a title for it. When he went to sell it we had to remove the cowl to access the partial VIN there so they could verify the VIN on the car matched the title.

Check out this thread:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/15-tag...idden-vin.html

I am aware of all of what you said about the hidden vin. I bought a 69 one time that was supposed to be a real Z and I needed to make sure so I called a friend of mine who worked for the OSBI and he told me where the hidden vin was. I can take the car to the okla. highway patrol hdqs and they will issue a vin for it but it is a pain in the ass to get that done. I just thought if someone had a vin plate off of a junk 69 camaro it would be easier to go that way than thru all of the other stuff to get a registered. I know where I live guys who have bought the old cars for street rods [30's thru 50's] have got vin plates and titles thru alabama at one time [maybe a bill of sale since it is a non title state] and have registered them that way. I may not buy the car now because it probably will cost to much and all of the work involved to get it back street legal will take more time than I am willing to spend on it. I do not need a race car either so I will just keep looking for one that is road ready.Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
their should be a vin number in the engine bay against the firewall on the drivers side. That where my 67's vin number was
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmick5jr View Post
their should be a vin number in the engine bay against the firewall on the drivers side. That where my 67's vin number was
That is the cowl tag and there is no vin there. I am blowing this off anyway. It will be to much of a hassle to make a street car out of it. I have found another one on craigslist anyway and it is a nice car. It even has a title and vin!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
You know your Camaros, the '67 VIN is in the drivers door jam. They had to move it to the top of the dash due to federal regulations in '68 & up (VIN must be visible from outside of car).

BTW JFTR for anyone still looking at this thread, when it comes to VINS it varies state to state. Most allow the VIN plate to be temporarily removed for repair. However in Indiana possessing a VIN plate without the car to go with it is a class C felony, (selling a car with an altered VIN[like the plate and hidden VIN not matching] is a lesser class D felony). So since the penalties in virtually every state are felonies, I believe it would be unwise to attempt to buy or sell a VIN plate on a public forum such as this. Oh and the Feds tend to frown upon it as well. Try to sell one on ebay and it will get yanked and you'll get a warning.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #8
DBHWT

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
I've seen 69 Camaro firewalls for sale on flea bay w/VIN plate and title if that helps any.
DBHWT is offline   Reply With Quote