Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
1BAADSS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Magnacharger Coolant Pump Location?

Has anyone located the coolant pump anywhere other than the location suggested in the install instructions? Is ther any reason to change the location when you relocate the reservoir to the driver's side?

YOU DON'T JUST PARK IT.....
YOU DISPLAY IT
1BAADSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
FloMoCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I had mine relocated to the driver side so I could install the Roto Fab Covers.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
1BAADSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloMoCamaro View Post
I had mine relocated to the driver side so I could install the Roto Fab Covers.
You relocated the reservior but did you maintain the stock location for the pump?

YOU DISPLAY IT
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Hmmm...now I'm wondering if the intercooler and/or heat exchanger are "directional." If you can flow coolant through them in either direction, then maybe the best option would be to extend the wiring harness and install the pump on the driver's side...in effect, just flipping/mirroring the entire loop.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
1BAADSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
Hmmm...now I'm wondering if the intercooler and/or heat exchanger are "directional." If you can flow coolant through them in either direction, then maybe the best option would be to extend the wiring harness and install the pump on the driver's side...in effect, just flipping/mirroring the entire loop.

According to Simon at Magnuson they are not directional. I sent him this diagram that basically reverses the coolant flow for the entire system and asked him if it was acceptable and this was his response.

"The way you have everything routed, you should be fine, even though you relocated the reservoir you have maintained the same basic routing except where it connects at supercharger manifold and this is acceptable. At one time our internal intercooler core had a top and bottom pass through and it was a little more critical then, but we have since switched to a side to side pass through style which isn’t as critical on this hose placement."
Attached Images

YOU DISPLAY IT
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Awesome! Thanks for posting his response, you saved me a phone call to California. I have my car torn down right now and looked it all over. I think if I tweak the power steering hard line a tad, the coolant pump will bolt into the same hole, but on the drivers side frame rail. Extend the wiring harness, route the hoses as shown, and voila!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
wkdivr

Drives: 2004 GMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAADSS View Post
According to Simon at Magnuson they are not directional. I sent him this diagram that basically reverses the coolant flow for the entire system and asked him if it was acceptable and this was his response.

"The way you have everything routed, you should be fine, even though you relocated the reservoir you have maintained the same basic routing except where it connects at supercharger manifold and this is acceptable. At one time our internal intercooler core had a top and bottom pass through and it was a little more critical then, but we have since switched to a side to side pass through style which isn’t as critical on this hose placement."

Although it's on a truck application, that's the way my coolant is flowing. Been great, so far, and when I had the MP112 on my 5.3, it worked great for over 40,000 miles.
wkdivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

1BAADSS, have you attempted to mount the coolant pump on the drivers side yet? I worked on my Maggie install today and it is crazy cramped on the driver side. I'm looking around that corner for a better spot to bolt the pump...
Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 AM   #9
1BAADSS

I ended up mounting the pump on the passenger frame rail. In the standard (magnuson suggested in the install instructions) location. It seemed to be the best spot. Anywhere on the drivers side was just way too tight and that empty spot on the passenger rail was just begging for it. I did locate the reservior on the drivers side though.

YOU DISPLAY IT
Old 03-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

I'm leaning that way as well, but I'm going to give it one more try on the driver side. It's so close...