Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #29
summitss/rsls3

Drives: summit white/IOM ss/rs ls3
well new tranny is in and everything is great again. cant thank my dealer enough for their service. now lets hope the bearing in this trans dont go out in another 400 miles.
summitss/rsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #30
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitss/rsls3 View Post
well new tranny is in and everything is great again. cant thank my dealer enough for their service. now lets hope the bearing in this trans dont go out in another 400 miles.
I think it is great that the dealer fixed your transmission under warranty, but don't make it sound like it just "went out" after 400 miles. I expect that if you keep hitting 1st gear at 70 MPH you will have more transmission problems. This car will handle plenty of hard driving, if it is driven as you say "the way it is supposed to be", which IMO includes hitting the gears in ascending numerical order.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #31
summitss/rsls3

well i case you didnt read the whole thread when the Front bearing let go at high rpm that kinda makes everything attached to it out of alignment. makeing the clutch that was still engaged do all the holding of everything inside the trans. Now when u push the cluth pedal in what happens? the the disk i let free allowing everything to not be aligned. so i guess when this happens to you let me know how it is getting things into the correct gears, that is if you can get it into any at all.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #32
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
Regardless of the type of shift, but especially for speed shifting, this thread is good discussion. I've never had a manual that would go easily into 1st below a given speed so this is something to remember and keep an eye out for other potential threads of this nature. It is of particular interest to me since I'm teaching the wife to drive a manual and the Camaro is the guinnea pig - she is doing quite well, BTW - we do a lot of starts and stops on our road . I have also noticed how easy it is to miss 3rd and go into 5th, even while 2-3 shifting "normally", but that is probably just me considering we only have 300 miles on the car.
gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #33
Heelhook22

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
If the clutch was half engaged or didn't feel like the pedal returned all the way, that may have been the root cause of the issue. There is a bleeding procedure for the hydraulics or replacing the slave cylinder if bleeding doesn't fix it. If the clutch didn't disengage all the way during that 2-3 shift it may have bent the shift forks trying to force that shift without the clutch really disengaged all the way.

That would also explain why the clutch didn't feel right after for a while. If the clutch hydraulics stick like that, where the pedal doesn't feel right, the clutch is not going to be disengaging/engaging right until the slave cylinder gets the air out. That can make it slip for a bit.

If you were going through some hard launches and shifts before this happened, sometimes the heat can get to the brake fluid in the clutch slave cylinder. Then you get a weird a pedal feel and missed shifts with the clutch not working right.

Ask them to look at the bulletin for - clutch pedal sticks to the floor. May need that work done along with the trans fix. That bulletin has them bleed it, or replace the slave cylinder if needed.

They can inspect the clutch to see if it is damaged bad through an inspection area at the bottom. Often one good smoking doesn't do much damage, if it comes back to normal after a couple days of driving should be fine. If the clutch still doesn't feel right after a couple days of driving, it may have been cooked beyond recovery. But those are usually pretty obvious looking through the inspection area and test driving.

I'm going to revise my guess to - trans shift forks and clutch bleeding/slave cylinder.
I've had my clutch pedal stick to the floor a few times after warming up my car. What are the signs of bent shift forks? The reason why I ask is I swear my shift knob feels like its a little higher than before (maybe a half inch or so). Also, its getting a little harder to push into gear. A little bit of noise when shifting, but I wouldn't call it a nasty grinding noise.

Thanks,

Heelhook
Heelhook22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #34
summitss/rsls3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead440 View Post
Regardless of the type of shift, but especially for speed shifting, this thread is good discussion. I've never had a manual that would go easily into 1st below a given speed so this is something to remember and keep an eye out for other potential threads of this nature. It is of particular interest to me since I'm teaching the wife to drive a manual and the Camaro is the guinnea pig - she is doing quite well, BTW - we do a lot of starts and stops on our road . I have also noticed how easy it is to miss 3rd and go into 5th, even while 2-3 shifting "normally", but that is probably just me considering we only have 300 miles on the car.

i understand what you are saying about a manual going easily into first, but my case was a little different. it was on a high rpm shift coming out of 2nd going to 3rd when all this hell broke loose. when it wouldn't go into 3rd i tried again and thats when it went to 1st, not good. I think you'll be just fine, but keep an eye on the clutch. there has been problems with sticking clutches and clutches that dont come all the way back up. Mine did this when all this happened to the transmission, it came half way back up and stayed there till i clutched it a few times.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #35
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Glad to hear it worked out.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #36
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
hmmm im scared now, i am paranoid about messing up my clutch.

not sure i use the perfect shift tech as described but i no not often miss gears?
i have maybe once-twice?

also when i got it i stalled a few times on hills and sttuff?

never have seen any smoke or smelt a burnt clutch.. and slightly grinded a gear once for one sec and i took it out of gear..is that really bad?

i also dont beat on the car to bad..
dont get me wrong i hit 6grand a few times coming off from lights and what not..
car has about 3500 miles havent taken it over 4k until there were 700 miles i thnk?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #37
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
is it really that easy to f*** up ur tranny in the car?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #38
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxCamaro5 View Post
I think you may have been a little mislead on these clutches. These Cars Do NOT have a LS7 clutch. They have an LS3 Clutch!! The LS7 T56 design clutch wouldn't even work in the 2010 TR6060 Camaro's due to the hydraulic system of the Master slaves Adjustments being completely Different!! With that said the LS3 Clutch Does have A close to the same Clamping pressure as the LS7.

But dont go thinking your ls3 clutch is capable of 520 RWHP w/ Dr's just because C6Z's run at the strip on that power with the Stock Unit. The Camaro Weighs about 700 Lbs More than the Z06!! Which has a Huge play on how much power the Clutch can Withstand!!

Take the GTO guys for instance. Alot of them switched to the LS7 Clutch and started having problems with the clutch slipping at around 460 Whp. (Stock whp for a C6Z) But their cars weighed about 550 lbs more than the C6z. Which added alot of extra pressure on the unit!!

I believe the "LS3" Clutch can hold plenty for normal driving, Spirted Pull ever so often of course, But i wouldnt recommend a good set of DR's and Dig Runs/Strip passes with anything more than 450 whp or the LS3 clutch might just go up in smoke!!!

For My Camaro i think im going to go with the LS9 (ZR1/CTS-V) unit that lingenfelter sells. This being a Dual Disk setup with great street manners. I only wish they didnt charge an Arm and a leg for the Flywheel Kit (ZR1's have 9 bolt flywheel, Camaro has 6bolt flywheel)!!
Remember, the same logic you are using about the Z06 clutch, applies to the ZR1 clutch. The ZR1 is putting about 550 hp to the wheels. The ZR1 is also about 800 lbs lighter than the Camaro. So if your Camaro is putting out over 550 rwhp then you could also start seeing slippage from that clutch, with drag radials and hard launches.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #39
summitss/rsls3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS View Post
is it really that easy to f*** up ur tranny in the car?

its not really easy to mess up the trans., i just had some bad luck mixed with a clutch pedal that was acting weird and possibly a bad bearing to begin with in the trans. who really know. all i know is it happened and GM took care of it by putting a new assembly in it. But like it was mentioned earlier there is a problem with a few isolated cases with the clutches in these cars. hopefully one day soon we will find out as to what the real problem is.