Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
nickruta

Drives: 2010 black camaro
Discuss Best ideas/methods of keeping outer paint MINT!!

Hey guys im a soon to be owner of a black camaro, its my first black car ever and even though im awair that black cars are harder to keep mint and scratch free , im willing to put in the work it takes to keep it nice. I usually brought my other car to the handwash car wash place in town once a week , but now im worried that even a handwash place might scratch or swirl the paint. Im wondering what methods and tips do you guys use to clean and wax your cars. Are there any kits out there that has everything you need , wax, buffer ect. i have no previous exp with buffing or anything , nor do I know what are the best brands in car wash supplies. Or should i just get the car detailed every 8 months and forget the whole thing? A penny for your thoughts
nickruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
F N MUSCLE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Zaino. Everyone swears by this company. I am getting a black one as well and worried about the same things you are. Zaino has a kit that has everything. Comes with like ten different bottles of cleaner. Looks like a very involved process, but I think it will protect our babies better than most other products. Check out their website. I think it is zainostore.com There are lots of posts on this in the maintenance section of the forum. Check em out.
F N MUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
May be better suited in the Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection section..

Many many great contributors there..especially Moose and his Zaino expertise!
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
One simple rule. Wash your car by hand at least once a week. I don't care what brand of soap you use. But you must wash it by hand with a mit or sponge. You must get friction on the paint to clean off the harmful effects of the enviornment!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
Van

Drives: 2006 EVO MR - 390 @ wheels
Actually, you want to touch the car as little as possible--while at the same time keeping it clean. All too often people's own processes are what put scratches and microabrasions into the paint.

I've had a black car and used Zaino...its time consuming and a pain in the ass IMO..but the results are amazing. I've switched to the ICE stuff mainly for ease of use nowadays.
3000, Order accepted by production control 8/18/2009 TPW 9/07/2009
3300, Order scheduled for production 8/24/2009
3400, Order broadcast 9/1/2009
3800, Order produced 9/11/2009
4200, Shipped 9/11/2009
5000, Delivered to the dealer
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
ALLT4

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Kind of related but probably not the popular answer. We bought a Tahoe way back in 2003. I think I hand washed it maybe 5 times if that. All other times just ran it through a touchless car wash. If you look at the paint there is no sign of swirl marks, no fading, still shines like new. The problem with over washing your car too many times when it's really not necessary is no matter what high end mitt you use you're scratching the paint. I'd say if you're really anal about your new Camaro's looks or keeping clean (who isn't) go to a touchless car wash first then hand wash it. Most of the dirt will be gone that would act like abrasives under the mitt. I don't intend to wash mine that often, it's a car it will get dirty. Dirt/dust just sitting on the paint doesn't hurt anything, it's when you rub it around trying to get it off when the damage occurs. Yes car wash soap is supposed to act like a lubricant so that doesn't happen but you're still rubbing dirt.
ALLT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
OR just buy a white or yellow car and do whatever you want since nothing shows anyway!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
I used Zaino for the first time on my car and love it. 3 coats of polish, 2 coats of anti swirl polish and claybared the car. Claybar really did'nt turn up much debris, but teh car finis is very smooth. I'm staying with Zaino, it is tedious but pays off.
Use a Cotton wash wrag - first car I ever BOUGHT a wash rag for. I like it though, smooth and easy on the finish and I wash mine once a week too. The Zaino carwash claims to also provide some regular protection. Finally there is a Zaino spray polish that comes with the kit that also is supposed to provide added protection. I'm taking for granted that the guys know what they're doing and talking about based on the results I've seen.
Also looking into Clearbra for the nose of the car. Looks like a good idea.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Basically, if it is not garaged, it is a battle you will probably loose eventually when you run out of steam. I never had a garage, back a few years ago, and I always wondered how people keep there cars so mint. 5 Years ago I moved into a house that has a detached 2+ car garage. If you see my 3 year old sky, it looks like BRAND NEW.......why???........One Word.......GARAGE!
I have only had to wash that car about 10 times in almost 3 years!

On a second note, the above poster is 100% SPOT ON. The more you touch the car, the more you damage the paint............period. Here are some basic guidelines:

- Don't be cheap, throw out microfiber cloths after 1-3 uses. Washing them is not good enough
- Power Rinse before you wash (Get off the dirt with a good rinse)
- Use a LIGHT TOUCH with a disposable microfiber cloth to get off the main layer of dirt, then use a clean one to hit the car again.
- Don't overuse polishes
- STAY AWAY from anyone else washing the car.......EVER!!
- People with well water should filter that water to eliminate minerals (Hard Water) which can leave damaging minerals on you paint. Like this one:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

- Blow the car dry, do not wipe. Air compressors are cheap and a good investment. Less wiping the better. NO SHAM WOW!

I use these products. http://www.adamspolishes.com/

They are great and the guy that owns the company has some great video's showing some important technique that helps.

Watch these:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx
Old 10-14-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
ferno girl

Drives: orange 2 ss camaro
Im having mine simonized.. its a glass coat,they warranty it for 7 years,they can cover the stripes,and also do the leather seats...it cost 399. Has anybody heard of this?anybody had this done?How did it turn out?
ferno girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickruta View Post
Hey guys im a soon to be owner of a black camaro, its my first black car ever and even though im awair that black cars are harder to keep mint and scratch free , im willing to put in the work it takes to keep it nice. I usually brought my other car to the handwash car wash place in town once a week , but now im worried that even a handwash place might scratch or swirl the paint. Im wondering what methods and tips do you guys use to clean and wax your cars. Are there any kits out there that has everything you need , wax, buffer ect. i have no previous exp with buffing or anything , nor do I know what are the best brands in car wash supplies. Or should i just get the car detailed every 8 months and forget the whole thing? A penny for your thoughts
Nick,

A good rule (which some here have posted) ; "The more you touch the car/paint surface, the more chances of doing some "harm" to it."

Is this car going to be used daily?

The first thing you want to do is get the paint prepped properly for a good quality wax/polish. Getting the paint protected should be priority #1.

There are alot of products available, and different folks like different types.

Personally, I prefer Zaino. But other good, over the counter products, are Mothers and Meguires. Don't let what you've read/heard about the use of Zaino discourage you...in all honesty, its no more difficult to use than any other product.

You'll also want to invest in good quality wash mitts, (I prefer sheepskin) as well as good quality towels for polish removal and drying. (here, I prefer the "blonde towels" offered by Zaino).

Using the correct supplies is just as important as the product you choose.

Let me know how you intend to use your Camaro, ie; daily driver, etc., and if you like I can get into more detail with you.

Ed

PS You can always hire me to detail your car!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote