Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
STW

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Barton Option 1 Installed

I had the Tri-Ax previously. Put 25K miles on it. I have good things to say about that one, however it always rattled above 3K RPM from the day I installed it. Figured it must have been a short coming of the design. I am wrong about that, here is why.

So I bought the Barton, which has even a shorter throw (like) and looks fantastic. HOWEVER, it is still rattling.

I have deduced that it is the factory cotter pins that hold the shaft to the linkage. It's the only moveable part that has any play....even if it is slight. That must be what is rattling.

Anyone have suggestions about the above^?

There was nothing wrong with the Tri-Ax, nor is their with the Barton, they have the same symptom of rattling. Any one done anything special?
STW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
STW

I attached picture with the first post, don't know why it didn't attach. Happens very often on this site when I try to upload pictures.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
I've had my barton installed almost for the entire time I've owned the car (20,000 miles) and it doesn't rattle at all. Or if it does, I just haven't noticed it.

I have heard others talk about their rattling shifters though (various manufacturers: hurst, barton, etc....).
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
STW

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
I've had my barton installed almost for the entire time I've owned the car (20,000 miles) and it doesn't rattle at all. Or if it does, I just haven't noticed it.

I have heard others talk about their rattling shifters though (various manufacturers: hurst, barton, etc....).
You're the guy I wish I was. I heard about "tolerances different from camaro to camaro thats why" "you installed it wrong" etc.

I think it has something to do with the cotter pins (clips) that hold the shaft through the linkage. There's a mm play side to side. I thought about wrapping it in dental floss between pins and linkage to create barrier or pillow (hacky) Putting feelers out there.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
STW

It shifts great and tight. Doesn't make any noise at lower RPMs. Only when you get on it.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by STW View Post
You're the guy I wish I was. I heard about "tolerances different from camaro to camaro thats why" "you installed it wrong" etc.

I think it has something to do with the cotter pins (clips) that hold the shaft through the linkage. There's a mm play side to side. I thought about wrapping it in dental floss between pins and linkage to create barrier or pillow (hacky) Putting feelers out there.
Hmmmm.

Do you have any video of the rattling? Maybe mine does it too and I just haven't paid attention. lol.

The linkage pin that holds the shifter in is held in place by two c clips correct? This could be the source of the rattling. I would try your dental floss trick, or maybe even some pipe thread tape?

This has nothing to do with it, but I had to zip tie my e-brake cable to keep them from rubbing on the inside lip of my Forgeline wheels.

Sometimes you just have to use some "garage fixes" for things. lol.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Gforce8
WFO all the way

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS, Kalahari, 6 speed
My Barton also rattles horribly, very noticale and yes it is installed correctly. swapping the plastic GMPP shifterknob for a very heavy steel/chrome 2" one made it much quieter but still noticible. It make noise while driving if you try to move it and is most pronounced just below 3000. I do like the feel, but not that it sits 2 inches taller than the factory knob.I will try some padding below the boot next
Old 10-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
STW

I had padding under the tri-ax, didn't change decibel roar/racket. the metallic racket travels up the stick like a tuning fork.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 10-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
STW

Ill video today when i'm out and about.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
SIMSS

Drives: SIM
My barton short throw rattles when I really get on the car, above 3K rpms or so. I installed it correctly as well. I did notice that if I hold the shifter in gear with my hand while accelerating it doesn't rattle at all? It only rattles when I shift it in a gear and take my hand away while accelerating.
SIMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
STW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMSS View Post
My barton short throw rattles when I really get on the car, above 3K rpms or so. I installed it correctly as well. I did notice that if I hold the shifter in gear with my hand while accelerating it doesn't rattle at all? It only rattles when I shift it in a gear and take my hand away while accelerating.
Well stay tuned, I'm on a mission to fix it. Not going to fix it today, probably when I go to put my snow tires on I will. I've officially thrown good money after bad.......because of the rattling and it hasn't stopped.

Probably go the route of pipe tape AND dental floss. It has wax on it, both sound temporary.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Mine rattled quite a bit when I first installed it, mostly in higher RPMs in 2nd and 3rd gear. I tried the teflon tape on the shaft and knob threads first. Then I wrapped dynamat around the shift linkage and the lower part of the shaft (the part under the boot). Now the rattles are 90% gone. I have to really get on it to hear anything at all.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
STW

Sound and Video Barton Rattle

I'm going about 65 in 4th with foot off accelerator, then I get on it.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
ApexedSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by STW View Post
I'm going about 65 in 4th with foot off accelerator, then I get on it.

Thats really not good! this is why ive been going back and forth between the Barton and Hurst VS the MGW.

Since the MGW is the whole shifting assembly vs the Hurst and Barton is just the shaft, i feel like the MGW wouldnt do this rattling. The stock shifter already flops around a lot when going over bumpy roads. Thats why i think the Hurst and the Barton rattle like this.

Either way, that is no excuse for an aftermarket part worth $200-$250 to do this. There should be a fix by the manufacturer... Not us guys trying to jerry rig stuff together to make up for lack manufaturer testing

Even though the MGW is 350+ a knob, id rather have no play and or rattling
ApexedSS is offline   Reply With Quote