Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Angry Keeeeeys :(

Hello all! So I've done some searching on this and come up with limited results. I ended up putting my key through the washer this weekend (and was alerted to this fact by my alarm going off at 9PM with the key tumbling in the dryer).

The key is thoroughly dried now (har har) so I know that's not the issue... but the 'unlock' button now locks the car, and the trunk release and lock buttons have no function. This wouldn't be such a problem if the previous owner hadn't lost the 2nd key. I had a spare cut for emergencies, but it doesn't have a fob (I HATE the new style fobs).

Does anyone know if there's a way to re-sync the key? I read on one thread that if you just keep pushing the button to 'cycle' the remote it may re-sync with the car, but that had no effect whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for helping me 'clean up' this mess.

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Gregss1le
Asskicker

Drives: '15 Camaro Blue Velvet Metallic 1le
usually its something simple like, key in the on position then press lock & unlock together until the car beeps, I had to do this on my Envoy when I wanted new remotes.

I'm sure someone can post some better details, shoot it might be even in the owners manual.

can you can buy the remote fobs:
http://www.keyless-remotes.com/car-k...sort=pricedesc
Gregss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
well, if your current key will still turn your car on, you could pick up some new keys and have them cut, sync to your car, and then toss the old one.

I recently picked up THESE from amazon - $40 for 2 keys, and another $15 to get them cut at my local dealer. Total 55 bucks, and I've got 2 brand new keys that aren't the shitty post-recall key.
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
well, if your current key will still turn your car on, you could pick up some new keys and have them cut, sync to your car, and then toss the old one.

I recently picked up THESE from amazon - $40 for 2 keys, and another $15 to get them cut at my local dealer. Total 55 bucks, and I've got 2 brand new keys that aren't the shitty post-recall key.
That would be amazing. My local dealer charged me $80 to cut a new key -- without fob -- two months ago. Seriously, WTF. I haven't been able to find a cheaper one around here.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
hazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopZ View Post
That would be amazing. My local dealer charged me $80 to cut a new key -- without fob -- two months ago. Seriously, WTF. I haven't been able to find a cheaper one around here.
DAMN!!

Call around to local locksmiths - I can just about guarantee you that you'll find a place that will do it for <20-25 bucks

80/key is just straight ridiculous. It literally takes them less than 10-15 min to cut.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
I had this issue kind of, I bought the car used with one key fob with the key removed into a "key" (no switchblade).

I bought a switchblade fob and key at the dealership for $70 I think, and it was really easy to program.

Insert working key, startup engine, shut off engine. Insert new unprogrammed key, startup engine, shutoff. Then it's programmed and the information screen will tell you how many keys are programmed.

Then later I bought these 2 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage), had the dealer cut them for $20 each, and programmed them the same way. They start the car fine. They're my "I'm going skiing and don't want to worry about my keyfob breaking or getting wet" keys.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Update: Found the key on Amazon for $22. Dealer will charge $20 to cut, and I guess I can program myself. Lot better than what they wanted to charge me... Ugh.

http://www.amazon.com/Button-Remote-...ro+key+fob#Ask

Old 02-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
clarkkent

Quote:
Update: Found the key on Amazon for $22. Dealer will charge $20 to cut, and I guess I can program myself. Lot better than what they wanted to charge me... Ugh.

http://www.amazon.com/Button-Remote-...ro+key+fob#Ask
I was looking at that too, but what worried me was this:

WARNING: If you have a Camaro model, this remote will not work in your car if you already went to the dealer for the recall on the key and FOB.

My car did go through the recall, since the blade had been separated from the keyfob, so I wasn't sure if it would work. Not exactly sure why it wouldn't unless they somehow updated the car's firmware or something, but the new switchblade remote I got from the dealership worked fine.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post

WARNING: If you have a Camaro model, this remote will not work in your car if you already went to the dealer for the recall on the key and FOB.

My car did go through the recall, since the blade had been separated from the keyfob, so I wasn't sure if it would work. Not exactly sure why it wouldn't unless they somehow updated the car's firmware or something, but the new switchblade remote I got from the dealership worked fine.
Ahhh, gotcha! I've been a stubborn @$$ and haven't done the recall because my knee comes nowhere near the key.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
hazy

Quote:

I don't understand how it wouldn't work. It might be their way of skirting around the whole recall thing. Perhaps an attempt to avoid any liability for folks who have already had the recall performed and want to switch back to the switchblade fobs.

When they do the recall, they literally just remove the keyed portion from the fob. At the end of the day, it's still the exact same chip with the exact same programming. I'd bet that it would still work just fine.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #11
clarkkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
I don't understand how it wouldn't work. It might be their way of skirting around the whole recall thing. Perhaps an attempt to avoid any liability for folks who have already had the recall performed and want to switch back to the switchblade fobs.

When they do the recall, they literally just remove the keyed portion from the fob. At the end of the day, it's still the exact same chip with the exact same programming. I'd bet that it would still work just fine.
Yeah I couldn't imagine a way either. Only way I would think is if they changed the firmware to only read a new type of transponder. For example if the keyfob had frequency type A, they would use frequency type B in the key transponder. So then any switchblade keyfob wouldn't work because it was on the type A frequency. I thought they may have done that, but I wasn't sure so I didn't risk it.

The only way I would've figured out is if I bought the $22 keyfob, had it cut, then tried it. If it didn't work I'd be out $45, so I figured I'd go the safer dealership route. If their switchblade keyfob didn't work (luckily it did) then they would have to take care of it.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:35 AM   #12
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

This is SUPER fun. Apparently my key is getting better. Maybe it wasn't completely dry. As it dries, my car alarm is going off every half hour or so and waking me (and i'm sure my neighbors) up. Miraculously my 7 month old baby has remained fast asleel.

You can't make this shit up. New key can't get here fast enough.

Edit: I removed the battery from the key in the hopes that maybe it is transmitting a faulty signal. We'Ll see if that fixes it. If nof, this guy is getting zero winks of sleep. FML.

Last edited by DroptopZ; 02-16-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:23 AM   #13
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:

Huh? Bought my car post-recall, moved my key blade from the key to the fob and don't have any issues. Everyone else on the forums reports the same thing, so I don't know where this rumor of incompatibility comes from.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #14
hazy

Quote:
This is SUPER fun. Apparently my key is getting better. Maybe it wasn't completely dry. As it dries, my car alarm is going off every half hour or so and waking me (and i'm sure my neighbors) up. Miraculously my 7 month old baby has remained fast asleel.

You can't make this shit up. New key can't get here fast enough.

Edit: I removed the battery from the key in the hopes that maybe it is transmitting a faulty signal. We'Ll see if that fixes it. If nof, this guy is getting zero winks of sleep. FML.
my wife's old jeep liberty had something similar happen - didn't ever get the key wet, but it randomly started setting off the alarm. We swapped out the battery for a fresh one, and it solved the issue. If you think it's not dry 100%, stick it in a small bag of rice overnight tonight (with the battery removed, of course...gotta get that sleep) and see if it improves things