Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #1569
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Crush View Post
Wow, way to dumb down a muscle car. Chevy just jumped the shark with this model. Glad I just purchased my 2018 Hot Wheels. I was going to wait until the new gen came out, but I already have an orange '11 and fell in love with the Hot Wheels for the Orange reason. This just sucks Chevy. Fire your designers. Booooo!
And a 2018 Hot wheels is a muscle car ?
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #1570
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
And a 2018 Hot wheels is a muscle car ?
Thank you.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #1571
AN0NYM0US

Drives: .
What’s with all the ugly redesigns lately? Generally speaking for all cars...
AN0NYM0US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #1572
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I can confirm that this is indeed true.
The Cadillac XLR as well.

GM uses (or used) an old set of standard golf clubs in a white canvas Sunday bag. I am sure that fits in the trunk of a Gen6 Camaro. In fact I'd bet 2 of them.

GM also has specific requirements around luggage capacity as well. How small would the trunk have to be before you complained?

I owned a Saturn Sky Redline. Yes, I've had to take my clubs in the front seat. That was a car with a fist full of compromises. It had a trunk, but even with the top up, you couldn't put a suitcase back there.

In my case, I keep my clubs in the trunk all the time. I don't want the back seat down and I don't want to have to be forced to have loose clubs in the back seat.

Many of you seem to think it would be ok if the Camaro simply had no trunk at all and saved weight. Think C3 Corvette. Room behind the seat, but only accessible from inside the car.

Two sets of clubs easily fit in a Gen5 trunk. Even the convertible worked with the top up. So this really wasn't a big ask. As i said earlier, even the ATS coupe can fit two sets. Same architecture.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #1573
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by AN0NYM0US View Post
Basically all the auto makers are hanging out at Area 51 looking for the next UFO to arrive so they can come up with more extraterrestrial designs!!!! That has to be the answer
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #1574
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I still think a mini hatch (not the giant, heavy all glass one from the 4th gen) like a Vette along with a flat/level fold rear seat would work well on a Camaro and wouldn't require design compromises. Just my .02
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #1575
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AN0NYM0US View Post
Trnds in the industry follow several paths. Some design trends (floating roof design) are driven by cool design of the moment trending. Others, like large gaping grills, are driven by other technological challenges. The fuel economy challenges and mandates in the China, Europe, and US markets are driving that. I’ll explain in a minute. First I want to point out that I put those in order of size of market. China is by far the largest automotive market, then Europe, then the US.

So, why the huge grills? After electrification, lightweighting, and multi-speed transmissions (7+ gears), the next biggest technology trend to approach fuel economy is engine thermal efficiency. Engines are being designed to achieve 40% thermal efficiency and beyond. This is a measure of how much of the energy from burning fuel gets converted into work to power the driven wheels. For decades, 25 - 28% thermal efficiency for gasoline engines was considered quite good. Over the last decade, newer engine designs started pushing into the mid 30s.

Now Toyota and Mazda have small engine designs that are in the 40 - 42% range and both companies have targets to achieve 45% or more by the mid 2020s. Other companies are following suit. Without getting into the nasty technical details and quickly getting in over my head, suffice it to say, getting to higher thermal efficiencies requires significantly more intake of air to support more efficient combustion. And thus, the humongous grills. Designers, do your thing.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #1576
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Guys, it could be worse. Saw one of these today
Looks like a copy of the outgoing Jeep Cherokee.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #1577
chrisvr6

Drives: suzuki
found this
Attached Images

chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #1578
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
I still think a mini hatch (not the giant, heavy all glass one from the 4th gen) like a Vette along with a flat/level fold rear seat would work well on a Camaro and wouldn't require design compromises. Just my .02
What’s the advantage to a hatch? In my 4th gen I felt like it resonated a lot of the wrong noises throughout the cabin
Old 04-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #1579
kdepew

Drives: 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT
Quote:
Trnds in the industry follow several paths. Some design trends (floating roof design) are driven by cool design of the moment trending. Others, like large gaping grills, are driven by other technological challenges. The fuel economy challenges and mandates in the China, Europe, and US markets are driving that. I’ll explain in a minute. First I want to point out that I put those in order of size of market. China is by far the largest automotive market, then Europe, then the US.

So, why the huge grills? After electrification, lightweighting, and multi-speed transmissions (7+ gears), the next biggest technology trend to approach fuel economy is engine thermal efficiency. Engines are being designed to achieve 40% thermal efficiency and beyond. This is a measure of how much of the energy from burning fuel gets converted into work to power the driven wheels. For decades, 25 - 28% thermal efficiency for gasoline engines was considered quite good. Over the last decade, newer engine designs started pushing into the mid 30s.

Now Toyota and Mazda have small engine designs that are in the 40 - 42% range and both companies have targets to achieve 45% or more by the mid 2020s. Other companies are following suit. Without getting into the nasty technical details and quickly getting in over my head, suffice it to say, getting to higher thermal efficiencies requires significantly more intake of air to support more efficient combustion. And thus, the humongous grills. Designers, do your thing.
I completely disagree. The trend with the giant "grills" isn't driven by technical need. Look at the vast majority of them close up. They are NOT huge air intakes. They are just fake grills. Black plastic. Nothing more. The Camaro SS used more black on the front to get a certain look. They didn't need to. It is a look I hate. It seems alot of others don't like it either. I hope sales tank so they won't do more ugly designs like this in the future.

Sadly, we will probably see a bunch of people say "it is growing on me" or "it looks better in person." it almost always happens with iconic nameplates that people really want to love when a design comes out with aspects (such as the front of this car) that are just ugly.
kdepew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #1580
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
Quote:
Actually it can be done. I have a convertible, so the backseats don’t fold down. I simply remove my driver from my golf bag, place the bag in the trunk, and lay the driver down beside the bag. Top is up, of course, so that I have access to the full depth of the trunk. If the top is down, clubs are in the back seat.
there you go bringing common sense into the discussion again.

stig eh
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #1581
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvr6 View Post
found this
Looks like Boba Fett from star wars, but I can digg it.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #1582
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdepew View Post
I completely disagree. The trend with the giant "grills" isn't driven by technical need. Look at the vast majority of them close up. They are NOT huge air intakes. They are just fake grills. Black plastic. Nothing more. The Camaro SS used more black on the front to get a certain look. They didn't need to. It is a look I hate. It seems alot of others don't like it either. I hope sales tank so they won't do more ugly designs like this in the future.

Sadly, we will probably see a bunch of people say "it is growing on me" or "it looks better in person." it almost always happens with iconic nameplates that people really want to love when a design comes out with aspects (such as the front of this car) that are just ugly.
My 2 cents. Lots of idiotic statements will continue be made due to bias. That's human nature
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019 camaro refresh, 2020 camrao, becky, beckyd, camaro refresh, camarodestroyed, new camaro, ugly camaro, wtf?!?!