Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #15
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Gonna have to do a little research on that.

In a perfect world i'd prefer something inline on the hose that could be quickly removed prior to any inspection.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #16
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
From what I've read, it's generally a bad idea to have open breathers on an engine designed for positive crankcase ventilation.

Having the system open accelerates engine wear which is why engines started lasting a lot longer before they had to be rebuilt when PCV was added to the emission's system.

Just saying...
Its generally bad to introduce oil and moisture into the intake system. However, the EPA and the green people think it's helping the environment. I don't have emissions in my area, so I'm not putting that stuff back into my motor. So far, I've seen no negative effects not having vacuum for ventilation...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #17
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
Kenny camaro, do you clean the orifice out on the pcv? So you know the system is working properly, and not drawing oil in from the clean side then.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #18
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
Kenny camaro, do you clean the orifice out on the pcv? So you know the system is working properly, and not drawing oil in from the clean side then.
I have not. Will check that out. Thanks!
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:17 AM   #19
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Maybe these Elite Engineering catch cans aren't that good? Maybe it's all just snake oil with these "catch cans" they tell us we need?

With that amount of build up in the short time since you cleaned it, I'd be interested in knowing what the Elite Engineering spokesperson, who likes to post in this forum, has to say about this.

It'll probably be crickets, but I had to ask.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #20
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
I'm just glad Kenny is willing to share his results with us. The more I read about these catch cans the less I think I need one.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #21
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
I'm just glad Kenny is willing to share his results with us. The more I read about these catch cans the less I think I need one.
Seems to be a bigger issue on the LLT\LFX than the 8's. But I have seen guys post pics with several ounces of oil between oil changes in those cans!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #22
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
I'm glad Kenny posted it too. Before this all people want to respond about if a catch can helps, is look at the oil in the can. Like I said before oil in the catch can doesn't prove it keeps the valves clean. It surprised me Kenny got that much oil and carbon buildup . Looks like my valves at 30k now, no catch can or manual cleaning. All I've done is pennzoil ultra platinum oil, kept the pcv valve clean, and everything is stock. I think next spring I'll try crc Gdi cleaner and take pictures again with the borescope.
Attached Images

Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #23
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
I'm glad Kenny posted it too. Before this all people want to respond about if a catch can helps, is look at the oil in the can. Like I said before oil in the catch can doesn't prove it keeps the valves clean. It surprised me Kenny got that much oil and carbon buildup . Looks like my valves at 30k now, no catch can or manual cleaning. All I've done is pennzoil ultra platinum oil, kept the pcv valve clean, and everything is stock. I think next spring I'll try crc Gdi cleaner and take pictures again with the borescope.
The catch can is spliced into the line that goes directly into your intake manifold. The oil that ends up in the can was on a direct path into the intake system. No doubt about it. Does the can catch everything? No. But he would have had those 6-8oz's circulating through the manifold if he didn't have the can. When I first saw this thread, I was thinking that it was the Penzoil that was crap. And really, your pics don't do much to change my impression of that.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:04 PM   #24
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

I’m thinking that the next oil change I do I am going to try Amsoil 5-50. I will be walnut blasting my intake valves in the spring /early summer every year. Even thinking about offering walnut blasting as a service for my local v-6 brethren.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:51 AM   #25
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
The catch can is spliced into the line that goes directly into your intake manifold. The oil that ends up in the can was on a direct path into the intake system. No doubt about it. Does the can catch everything? No. But he would have had those 6-8oz's circulating through the manifold if he didn't have the can. When I first saw this thread, I was thinking that it was the Penzoil that was crap. And really, your pics don't do much to change my impression of that.
In my opinion, the pics that Kenny posted seem to show excessive build up for only 8k miles. I don't see how an oil could be responsible for that unless it was a cheap non-synthetic. He had them blasted perfectly clean with his walnut shell method just a year ago. I don't know about you, but this has me concerned.

I don't know what the deal is with the Elite guy that posts here, but he doesn't seem to be too interested in responding back to clarify this issue. Heck, he can't even respond to my inquiries if the check valves are needed on a non-boosted application. The Elite engineering website says no, but he seems to recommend them even on a N/A setup with the E2X two suction source catch can. Makes it kind of confusing if you know what I mean.

Since Kenny doesn't have the clean-side separator on his car, is that why he suffered the kind of build up he witnessed in only 8k miles? I have the clean-side separator on mine, but no check valves. Maybe I should rent a borescope and check mine. However, with my super low miles, I don't think I would be a very good test candidate to determine if these catch cans really work as well as we're told they do.

Maybe Kenny needs the PCV drill mod? However, I believe most of the LFX's in '13 already had the larger orfice opening that the earlier models had an issue with. If it is truly the oil that makes all the difference, which I don't really see unless you never changed it or you used some cheap non-synthetic, what kind is the best?

I'm currently using Mobil 1 fully synthetic and changing mine every 3-5k miles or 12 months, which ever comes first. However, since I don't even have 5k miles on mine yet, I'm using the 12 month schedule.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #26
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
Seems to be a bigger issue on the LLT\LFX than the 8's. But I have seen guys post pics with several ounces of oil between oil changes in those cans!
The v-8 ‘s are still port injected, not direct injected. So they have gas washing over the intake valve cleaning them. That’s a different setup and a catch can is not as critical , allegedly.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #27
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
In my opinion, the pics that Kenny posted seem to show excessive build up for only 8k miles. I don't see how an oil could be responsible for that unless it was a cheap non-synthetic. He had them blasted perfectly clean with his walnut shell method just a year ago. I don't know about you, but this has me concerned.

I don't know what the deal is with the Elite guy that posts here, but he doesn't seem to be too interested in responding back to clarify this issue. Heck, he can't even respond to my inquiries if the check valves are needed on a non-boosted application. The Elite engineering website says no, but he seems to recommend them even on a N/A setup with the E2X two suction source catch can. Makes it kind of confusing if you know what I mean.

Since Kenny doesn't have the clean-side separator on his car, is that why he suffered the kind of build up he witnessed in only 8k miles? I have the clean-side separator on mine, but no check valves. Maybe I should rent a borescope and check mine. However, with my super low miles, I don't think I would be a very good test candidate to determine if these catch cans really work as well as we're told they do.

Maybe Kenny needs the PCV drill mod? However, I believe most of the LFX's in '13 already had the larger orfice opening that the earlier models had an issue with. If it is truly the oil that makes all the difference, which I don't really see unless you never changed it or you used some cheap non-synthetic, what kind is the best?

I'm currently using Mobil 1 fully synthetic and changing mine every 3-5k miles or 12 months, which ever comes first. However, since I don't even have 5k miles on mine yet, I'm using the 12 month schedule.
No, I didn’t need the drill mod ,as I checked for that during my set up of the catch can. I am not running thecleanside separator. I didn’t have any oil in my intake tube and no noticeable oil on my 80 TB. I run wot nearly every day also. Not to 125 mph mind you, but I blast around quite often. In the first thread I did, there was a good posting about the Pennzoil. So I gave it a try. Maybe I’ll try something else.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #28
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
After some research i've decided against going to the breathers and just keep cleaning my valves at every 5,000 mile oil change.
Since i drive this one like an old man anyhow i don't believe its ingesting a lot of oil and my understanding is it does that after letting off those high rpm romps.

Maybe Kenny just needs a lighter foot.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote