Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-01-2018, 05:51 AM   #57
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Glad they came out with the red eye and I plan on adding one to my american muscle collection in a year or so.

On an LOL note, I can't help but to laugh at all the d-bags that spend $100k+ on a demon with crappy front brakes and a horrible street suspension set-up.
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:44 AM   #58
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I have to say it again, as a guy that owns both of these cars. They are two different machines that almost can not be compared to each other.

I know we are mainly talking horsepower and that conversation can be had across the board with any two car comparison.

But in my opinion you have to look at the full picture when comparing a hellcat to a ZL1 1LE, or the regular ZL1. Looks are subjective so not everyone is going to agree there, I love the way the hellcat looks and I also love the way my 1LE looks, I love both for completely different reasons.

The hellcat is a 1970s looking muscle beast which is loud, brutish and unruly, like a muscle car should be.

The 1LE looks like a fighter jet sitting on the deck of an air craft carrier waiting to be called into action. It's got sharp lines, bulging fenders, low to the ground, wide and the wing in the back tops it all off.

Just as they differ in looks they also differ in purpose. The 1LE doesn't need to have 700+ hp, the only reason we want 700+hp is so we can brag. The 1LE murders a high percentage of the high performance cars on the road as it sits, and that's what it was built for.

The hellcat murders almost everything in a straight line, and that's what it was built for. I"ve said it before and i'll say it again.....i'm grateful to have both.

I was concerned that after buying the 1LE I would start thinking about getting rid of the hellcat because of redundancy........ couldn't be any further from the truth. They are two totally different machines !!!!

PS. by the way.... it is well known that the original hellcat came with closer to 740 hp and Dodge just underrated it from the get go. The extra 50hp or so in the red eye will probably make it a little more of a hoot to drive but that car doesn't need more horsepower for it to be fun to drive. Again, it comes down to bragging rights, Dodge has launched a pre-emptive strike on Ford and the GT500, that's really all this red eye hellcat is about.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #59
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
On an LOL note, I can't help but to laugh at all the d-bags that spend $100k+ on a demon with crappy front brakes and a horrible street suspension set-up.
I'd say 90% of the people that bought them didn't buy them because they were a great driver's car . . . they bought them to collect.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #60
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
I'd say 90% of the people that bought them didn't buy them because they were a great driver's car . . . they bought them to collect.
That's very true.

Big Dave and a few others here regularly bring their cars to the strip. Aside from that, how often can you really enjoy that car? You cannot realize it's full potential unless you take it to the strip. That's a huge no-go for me. Kudos to those that regularly go to the strip, because that seems like a real blast.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #61
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
I have to say it again, as a guy that owns both of these cars. They are two different machines that almost can not be compared to each other.

I know we are mainly talking horsepower and that conversation can be had across the board with any two car comparison.

But in my opinion you have to look at the full picture when comparing a hellcat to a ZL1 1LE, or the regular ZL1. Looks are subjective so not everyone is going to agree there, I love the way the hellcat looks and I also love the way my 1LE looks, I love both for completely different reasons.

The hellcat is a 1970s looking muscle beast which is loud, brutish and unruly, like a muscle car should be.

The 1LE looks like a fighter jet sitting on the deck of an air craft carrier waiting to be called into action. It's got sharp lines, bulging fenders, low to the ground, wide and the wing in the back tops it all off.

Just as they differ in looks they also differ in purpose. The 1LE doesn't need to have 700+ hp, the only reason we want 700+hp is so we can brag. The 1LE murders a high percentage of the high performance cars on the road as it sits, and that's what it was built for.

The hellcat murders almost everything in a straight line, and that's what it was built for. I"ve said it before and i'll say it again.....i'm grateful to have both.

I was concerned that after buying the 1LE I would start thinking about getting rid of the hellcat because of redundancy........ couldn't be any further from the truth. They are two totally different machines !!!!

PS. by the way.... it is well known that the original hellcat came with closer to 740 hp and Dodge just underrated it from the get go. The extra 50hp or so in the red eye will probably make it a little more of a hoot to drive but that car doesn't need more horsepower for it to be fun to drive. Again, it comes down to bragging rights, Dodge has launched a pre-emptive strike on Ford and the GT500, that's really all this red eye hellcat is about.
We both have both cars and we both have an understanding of where both cars fit into their particular performance segment...must be a New Jersey thing!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #62
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
If the Demon does not increase in value or even retain it's value then I really do feel bad for the people who bought one. I know one guy who ordered one and said he was going to bring his to the track. He paid $5K in markups which I think is ok although I personally wouldn't have paid a dime over. But some of these guys paid $20K, $30K, and more over MSRP. One guy on a FB group said he paid $40K in markups and was bragging that he was going to make a killing in a few years and that this was a good investment. LOL!! All that money might just be gone. Although it is possible that the Demons will retain their value, I don't see it. At least not for another 20-30 years. By which time that money might not be worth much anyway.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #63
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
We both have both cars and we both have an understanding of where both cars fit into their particular performance segment...must be a New Jersey thing!!
It's a dirty Jerzeee thing hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
If the Demon does not increase in value or even retain it's value then I really do feel bad for the people who bought one. I know one guy who ordered one and said he was going to bring his to the track. He paid $5K in markups which I think is ok although I personally wouldn't have paid a dime over. But some of these guys paid $20K, $30K, and more over MSRP. One guy on a FB group said he paid $40K in markups and was bragging that he was going to make a killing in a few years and that this was a good investment. LOL!! All that money might just be gone. Although it is possible that the Demons will retain their value, I don't see it. At least not for another 20-30 years. By which time that money might not be worth much anyway.
I think the Demon is going to retain some of its value due to its limited production numbers. With that being said, the value will be nowhere near what people were expecting it to retain when the car was first announced. Reason being is that most of the technology from the Demon is finding its way to the rest of the line up, heck the engine in the Red Eye is the same as the demon just detuned a hair.

Dodge really needs to do something other than add new hood, fenders, more horsepower and interior changes to the challenger. I am afraid that they are not going to invest the money on designing a new chassis or new technology because the brand is hanging on to life by a thread.

If I didn't own a hellcat already I would give the Red Eye a serious look, for the reasons I mentioned before (so I can say I have a car with 797 hp from the factory) ahahahaha. I would be really surprised if the challenger survives long enough to see another refresh.

It will either be death or a complete redesign.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:40 PM   #64
bigmike32172

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Demons, Hellcats, Chargers, etc.... save your money brothers because once the new Viper's released for 2022 that'll be the only Dodge to get
bigmike32172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #65
Mcardenal

Drives: 2018 Nightfall Gray Metalic ZL1 A10
I am not brand loyal at all. I always buy the best car offered at whatever moment I'm in the market. If i had the cash and the space i would buy a Hellcat red eye in a heartbeat and park it right next to my ZL1, M4, GT500, etc. Having said that, i think the Camaro is the better car all around. It just does everything really well (track, 1/4, and Daily)

As far as weather or not GM is behind in the HP wars...….I would say not necessarily. As many have already stated, you have to look at the HP to weight ratio. Dodge needs all the ponies it can cram in those Hellcats
Mcardenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:03 AM   #66
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Actually the Camaro doesnt need to reply to what Dodge is doing. They chose when they came out with the gen6 car to abort the "muscle" car idea that Dodge embraces. I dont really look at them as competitors any more, because they have gone in two very different directions aimed at two very different type of buyers. If Im looking for refinement, world class handling and controlled power, im buying a Camaro. If I want raw angry power in a mean looking package that will make you feel like you are going 10x faster than you are, then I want a Challenger. I believe that is why you see a good many of folks buying both a hellcat and a ZL1 as Im planning to do. Two completely different forms of fun. Neither right or wrong.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #67
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike32172 View Post
Demons, Hellcats, Chargers, etc.... save your money brothers because once the new Viper's released for 2022 that'll be the only Dodge to get
There is no new Viper in the plans at this time.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #68
bigmike32172

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
There is no new Viper in the plans at this time.
I know that it hasn't been publicized yet, although I'd imagine if the economy continues to improve with Trump during the next couple of years I'm sure Dodge will bring back the Viper for it's anniversary of 2022.
bigmike32172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #69
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Quote:
I know that it hasn't been publicized yet, although I'd imagine if the economy continues to improve with Trump during the next couple of years I'm sure Dodge will bring back the Viper for it's anniversary of 2022.
Yea but most people in the market for a Hellcat aren't even considering a Viper. A Hellcat can be DD'd, 4 full sized adults can fit comfortably in it, it has tons of storage space, and it will be $68K for the Redeye. The Viper is a 2-seater that most people a little bit bigger than average won't fit in comfortably, it is not as DD-able as a Hellcat (not even close), has no storage space, and the next one will probably be twice as much as a Hellcat. And who wants to wait around for 4 years to get another powerful car? LOL! He could literally lease a HC for 3 years, turn it in, save up money for a year, and then get a 22 Viper IF they come out and IF he really wanted one.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #70
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
...and according to the new MT article, the Viper isn't in the 5 year Dodge plan...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote