Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #43
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
In my view the OLM will fail if:

- You use a sub-standard oil (not Dexos 1 or not a semi-synthetic oil rated ILSAC GL-5, or SM or better).
- Operate the engine in a very dusty environment, or rarely change the air filter, or use an air filter not up to the stock standards.
- Have leaks in the cooling, PCV, or air intake systems.
- Run with a check engine light on (eg your sensors are not reading correctly).
- Have recent engine work that exposes the internal components
- Use poor quality, high sulfur, water, sodium, etc fuel.

Otherwise the algorithms are pretty good now.
wakespeak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #44
BRcar

Drives: 13 zl1 crt convertible
vehicles without OLM, such as fleet delivery trucks are using either hour meters or fuel useage, not mileage or a time period.
BRcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #45
Xmitterengineer

Drives: 2014 LS2
"Do you really trust the oil life indicator?"

Still I change at 30 percent!!!
Xmitterengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:17 AM   #46
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
The 3000 mile oil change was made up to make more money in the 70s. My 67 F250 said to change every 6000miles. Amsoil has 25,000 mile oil, filters are 15,000. Iv only put 5600 miles on my Camaro but with my truck the OLM said to change the Amsoil around 10,000miles really 9500 because I put Amsoil in at 1500 miles. I just reset it changed the filter and put another 4500 miles before I traded it in on the Camaro. I think it read 70% or so.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #47
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Because everyone's driving conditions are different, everybody will wear out their oil somewhat differently. The OLMs are pretty reliable because thy take into account so much more than just mileage. Unless you've done multiple UOAs with TBN on your oil, you really have no idea what condition that oil is in when you throw it away. you really can't wear out a top tier synthetic in 3-5,000 miles. Plus the V8s have an 8 qt sump! That's a lot of oil to wear out. So, don't be dogmatic if you don't have test data because you're just guessing or relying on outdated conventions.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #48
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
I trust it 100%! Did do my first one at 3129 miles though...but now I'll go off the OLM for the rest of them.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #49
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
For the 1,000,000th time, Yes!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #50
Sprankster

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
I go off of the OLM but I get close to 10,000 miles range before I'm under 10%. My car has over 33,000 miles on it and I have only done 3 Oil changes.
Sprankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #51
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Yes, I use it on my '04 Malibu with 155k miles. Just completed my 20th oil change with Mobil 1... a few times I went 10k-12k miles. Still runs just like the day I bought it new.

But if you want to change it more often.... nothing wrong with that... especially if it sits during winter, etc.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #52
Romeloc

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS A6 Inferno
I change mine every time it gets to 5% for 4 years and 85k no problems
20% tints
Borla Atak cat-bak
Roto-Fab intake
amber footwell, dome, and trunk lighting(AAC)
Decepticon Gas door
Led Taillights (technostalgia)
Romeloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #53
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeloc View Post
I change mine every time it gets to 5% for 4 years and 85k no problems
Same...Somewhere between 5 and 15% typically. 80K miles and it still comes out looking fine. Not overly gunked or anything. I use Royal Purple with a wix/NAPA Gold filter.

Edit: I don't know if it's been said yet, but I don't think the oil life indicator is actually measuring anything. I think it's just ticking down 10K miles. If it was measuring anything, when you changed it, you wouldn't have to reset it.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #54
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
Same...Somewhere between 5 and 15% typically. 80K miles and it still comes out looking fine. Not overly gunked or anything. I use Royal Purple with a wix/NAPA Gold filter.

Edit: I don't know if it's been said yet, but I don't think the oil life indicator is actually measuring anything. I think it's just ticking down 10K miles. If it was measuring anything, when you changed it, you wouldn't have to reset it.
Nope, not true.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #55
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
Sigh. You haven't been reading for comprehension.

Think it doesn't monitor anything, huh? How about this: Let's say you're on a road trip and the drive belt powering both your water pump and the supercharger (in my case) breaks, leading to a fast rise in water temp and a near-overheat condition. The OLM, previously reading around 60% life suddenly says "change oil now," and "0% left." I know, because it happened to me.

Of course I use the OLM, and I trust it. I might drive my car on short trips for months before I take a road trip that could last for 1000 miles. Why does the OLM tick down faster in town than it does on that road trip, even though I'm driving far more miles on that road trip than I ever did in the preceding months of short hauls?

Just check your oil regularly, use quality materials that meets the standards specified in the manual to include a good oil filter, reset the OLM when you do an oil change, and you are good to go.

I own four vehicles. I don't feel like hauling five gallon buckets of oil to the auto parts store for disposal unless I have to. And I've used Blackstone Labs for oil analysis to back me up. Anything else is just an opinion. I'll take science, thank you very much.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #56
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Sigh. You haven't been reading for comprehension.

Think it doesn't monitor anything, huh? How about this: Let's say you're on a road trip and the drive belt powering both your water pump and the supercharger (in my case) breaks, leading to a fast rise in water temp and a near-overheat condition. The OLM, previously reading around 60% life suddenly says "change oil now," and "0% left." I know, because it happened to me.

Of course I use the OLM, and I trust it. I might drive my car on short trips for months before I take a road trip that could last for 1000 miles. Why does the OLM tick down faster in town than it does on that road trip, even though I'm driving far more miles on that road trip than I ever did in the preceding months of short hauls?

Just check your oil regularly, use quality materials that meets the standards specified in the manual to include a good oil filter, reset the OLM when you do an oil change, and you are good to go.

I own four vehicles. I don't feel like hauling five gallon buckets of oil to the auto parts store for disposal unless I have to. And I've used Blackstone Labs for oil analysis to back me up. Anything else is just an opinion. I'll take science, thank you very much.

John B.
You don't have to be insulting, jackass. I said I don't THINK it measures anything. I didn't state it as fact. Mine happens to line up EXACTLY with 10K miles. I have 80K miles on my car and I monitor my oil, coolant, gas mileage EVERY TIME I FILL UP. When I have 4,500 miles on an oil change, it says I have 55% remaining. EVERY TIME.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote