Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #15
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Even if by some stretch of logic the "bad" oil filter only leaked when the engine was running and there was miraculously no oil under the car, what are the odds of getting 3 bad oil filters in a row? Maybe one in a few hundred million.

I remember back when dealers used to try harder. They seemed to take the time to come up with more believable lies.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #16
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Even if by some stretch of logic the "bad" oil filter only leaked when the engine was running and there was miraculously no oil under the car, what are the odds of getting 3 bad oil filters in a row? Maybe one in a few hundred million.

I remember back when dealers used to try harder. They seemed to take the time to come up with more believable lies.

yeah, I wouldn't buy the bad oil filter line, more likely badly installed or someone cross threaded the first one and everyone after that didn't notice the buggered up threads and kept doing the same.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #17
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
No oil under the car then time to check compression. Take to independent mechanics and have them check your cylinder pressures. I'd be willing to bet you're running low on one. Then time for dealer to put new rings in. Dealer should check compression....

You notice your exhaust smoke is kinda white ? If so your burning the oil.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #18
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsuddre View Post
Ok latest update . They told me it was from a bad oil filter that was leaking I didn't notice any leaking in my garage but they said that should fix the problem even though it has happened three times in the 13700 miles I have had the car . They told me to keep a check in the oil which I will be checking weekly if not bi weekly now to make sure something else isn't going on . Nonetheless it is still scary knowing I was riding around with little to no oil .
If you were leaking that much oil out the filter you would see it everywhere
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #19
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
If you were leaking that much oil out the filter you would see it everywhere
I agree. It would be on the floor, all over the bottom of the car, and I would think the car would stink from burnt oil on the exhaust. This one if hard to believe.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:38 AM   #20
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
Ok here we are 2 months later and about 1500 miles after hat oil change was done . I was driving around today and decided to check my oil when getting home since I hadn't checked it in a little while and guess what ...... No oil again. This is getting old lol . I'm calling the dealer on Monday to see what can be done about this recurring problem . I even doubted myself and had my dad check also and surprise no oil . I by no means drive like a granny and I consistently get around 12 mpg city but a car should not be burning through 7 to 8 quarts of oil in like 2 k miles
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:48 AM   #21
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
You really ought to be checking it more often, especially knowing you have the issue. Weekly would be good.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #22
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
I was really good about checking it every couple of days but in the past couple of weeks I was only checking it once a week and I noticed it was getting lower and lower . I decided to check it again today because I was driving a lot the past few days
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:58 AM   #23
MissyTx
SPOILED

Drives: 2013 SIM Camaro Convertible
I was really hoping they would find the problem for you. :(
Old 04-05-2015, 05:37 AM   #24
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Sounds like an engine rebuild is in your future.. However I don't know if I would trust that dealership to do it..

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:45 AM   #25
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport

I'd change my own oil and filter at least once - then check my oil daily. If it is filled to 8 qts, you have no drips and no sheen on the underside then there is only one place the oil could be going. Unless the oil fairy is sneaking into your garage and pilfering copious amounts.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #26
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
yes you should be loosing zero oil.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #27
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
yes you should be loosing zero oil.

not zero, some burning and blow by is acceptable. typically though, you shouldn't loose more than a qt between changes.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #28
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Take pics of the dip stick every time you check it. Also the mileage. Your probably doing every thing right. But I don't check the oil until the car has set a while after running it. Always on a level surface.

But in all the BS you been going thru. I myself wouldn't keep putting up with the stupid a$$ dealer. Call your Chevy Customer rep and do it very casually telling him the problem your having with the oil an dealer. Also I would change the oil your self making sure you put 8 qts. in & have your dad there. If the oil goes down again I would call the dealer from some where on the road and tell him to come get the car because your not going to take a chance of blowing the motor.

CAP LOCK AND YOU WANT A FREE REPLACEMENT TO DRIVE UNTIL THEY MAKE THE CAR RIGHT.