Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Sauraus

Drives: Corvette Stingray 2LT
Bullydog as an add-on to a dyno tune?

I run a Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro module on my H-D Streetglide and just love the way it 'fine' tunes the air/fuel ratio for the modified intake and exhaust that I have on the bike. I know for a fact that it's improved my mpg, low rpm acceleration and made the engine run less lean at low rpm.

I also understand how this works on a bike because there are 2 O2 sensors and 2 injectors making it possible to continuously adjust the fuel delivery on every injection cycle.

But a car is a whole different can of worms, however I believe the same is possible in theory, if the O2 sensor is constantly read then a system like Bullydog's GT should be able to adjust the fuel delivery on the spot.

I know that a custom tune is the best way to go for a car and I will certainly have it done, but what about having the Bullydog piggy-bag on top of the custom tune to make those small adjustment needed due to atmospheric changes that a 'fixed' tune cannot take into account? Would it work? Does it make sense? Or am I just
Sauraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauraus View Post
I run a Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro module on my H-D Streetglide and just love the way it 'fine' tunes the air/fuel ratio for the modified intake and exhaust that I have on the bike. I know for a fact that it's improved my mpg, low rpm acceleration and made the engine run less lean at low rpm.

I also understand how this works on a bike because there are 2 O2 sensors and 2 injectors making it possible to continuously adjust the fuel delivery on every injection cycle.

But a car is a whole different can of worms, however I believe the same is possible in theory, if the O2 sensor is constantly read then a system like Bullydog's GT should be able to adjust the fuel delivery on the spot.

I know that a custom tune is the best way to go for a car and I will certainly have it done, but what about having the Bullydog piggy-bag on top of the custom tune to make those small adjustment needed due to atmospheric changes that a 'fixed' tune cannot take into account? Would it work? Does it make sense? Or am I just
What makes you think the OEM tune is fixed? All modern day ECU's (now called PCM's) continuously monitor air temps and engine data to maintain the AFR set in the program. The Camaro has a decent range in the parameters that it can adjust as well. Our PCM can adjust for a no tune CAI, LT headers (cats or no cats), and a cleaned up TB, without throwing a engine code. I don't consider cat efficiency codes a engine code. A aftermarket tune readjusts that range to the specific parts you have and optimizes those parameters to make your car run at it's full potential, for the parts you have. There are guys running around with twin turbos, making well over 800whp, using the OEM computer. What that means is, you don't need a piggy back module.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Sauraus

Drives: Corvette Stingray 2LT
@axis thanks for that info!

Didn't know that the O2 sensors and PCM were 'flexible' enough to handle CAI & Headers on their own.
Sauraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauraus View Post
@axis thanks for that info!

Didn't know that the O2 sensors and PCM were 'flexible' enough to handle CAI & Headers on their own.
Absolutely they can. You will throw a cat efficiency code with LT's but that's just the rear O2 sensors telling the PCM that the cats aren't working correctly. We have 4 O2 sensors. The rear ones play no part in tuning. In fact, when you get LT's and a tune, they turn the rear ones completely off so there's no issues with the PCM waiting for information from them. This keeps them from failing a OBD port inspection.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullydog, tune