Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
legbuh

Drives: 13camaroZL1v,06 911, 18 StingerGT2
Exhaust - Stock or Something Aftermarket

This may be a neewb question but my 13 ZL1 convertible has exhaust that appears to be stock. But is it always supposed to be so loud, or did the PO possibly do something?

I had a 2011 vet that I installed a switch on so that you could open or close the flaps in the exhaust manually. Normally it would only open up when you got on it hard.

Is the ZL1 the same? If so, what should I look for as sometimes I would like to quiet it down some. Maybe a fuse pulled, or a button hidden somewhere?
legbuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by legbuh View Post
This may be a neewb question but my 13 ZL1 convertible has exhaust that appears to be stock. But is it always supposed to be so loud, or did the PO possibly do something?

I had a 2011 vet that I installed a switch on so that you could open or close the flaps in the exhaust manually. Normally it would only open up when you got on it hard.

Is the ZL1 the same? If so, what should I look for as sometimes I would like to quiet it down some. Maybe a fuse pulled, or a button hidden somewhere?

Previous owner could have pulled the NPP vacuum fuse switch in the trunk, or could be modded with a mild to wild switch that does the same.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
There is a fuse box in the trunk behind the liner on the right side. #8 fuse controls the flaps. If it's pulled the flaps will be open all the time. Many people pull it. With fuse in place the flaps will be open at idle and above 3500 rpm. Closed between.

IF I remember correctly.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
legbuh

Thanks so much!! I bet the fuse is pulled. It does sound pretty cool, though..hehe..
Old 07-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
legbuh

Ok, so I went and found 2 remotes in the glove box in a plastic bag. Mild to wild remotes they appear to be.. lol.

I started it up and tried them just idling and didn't really notice any difference. I'll take it for a rip later and see what's what. Man, I just keep finding nice little add ons to this thing.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by legbuh View Post
Ok, so I went and found 2 remotes in the glove box in a plastic bag. Mild to wild remotes they appear to be.. lol.

I started it up and tried them just idling and didn't really notice any difference. I'll take it for a rip later and see what's what. Man, I just keep finding nice little add ons to this thing.
It's designed to be wide open at idle and startup to sound cool, then as you head out to work in the morning the flaps close until a certain rpm as to not wake the neighbors up, then when you get on it they open up again
Old 07-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
legbuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
It's designed to be wide open at idle and startup to sound cool, then as you head out to work in the morning the flaps close until a certain rpm as to not wake the neighbors up, then when you get on it they open up again
Yep.. just like my 2011 Corvette did. Nice. I what other goodies I'll find installed lol.. I hoped maybe a solid isolator but it does rattle a little at idle.. not all the time though.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
12oclockshadow

Drives: 2012 ZL1 M6
With LT's and no cats, these cars do sound good with the stock H pipe and catback.