Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #29
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
I can't see how they are gonna make you use something that doesn't exist. I mean I know it's the rules and I know why you need something there for protection, but still.

Aren't there steel shields available for some tranny's that bolt over the bellhousing? Does anyone have one of those on the works possibly?
A steel sheild wont fit on our cars even if their was someone that made on for the 6060. There isn't enough clearance between the bellhousing and the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtienick View Post
Yea, the bellhousing on our tr-6060 IS the front cover to the transmission. The only real way to get a sfi bellhousing is to sell your stock trans and buy a tremec trans and then get an sfi bellhousing.
You can change to a T56 tranny, but currently the shifter is about 12" off to work with the 2010 Camaro, they are working on making a shifter assembly that will work with doing this swap, but who knows when that will be made.

What we really need to do is get one of the manufacturers that makes a blanket with the SFI 4.1 rating to resubmit their blanket to SFI and get a 9.1 rating on it. Then we would pass tech.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #30
ams450r

Drives: 2007 Chevy HD LTZ
We can make a 4.1 bell housing cover for it and will need the bell housing in shop for it. Make sure 4.1 is okay with sanctioning body.kdorris@stroudsafety.com I emailed Stroud Safety today and this is there responce. If anyone has a bell housing not in the car thats willing to get the ball rolling email them back.www.stroudsafety.com

Last edited by ams450r; 03-30-2011 at 07:10 PM.
ams450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 AM   #31
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
At this point this is becoming my obsession....lol I feel like Bruce did on more than one of his issues I am pretty sure...But on a positive note....Here we go boys..our answer: George at Rockland Standard Gears and the 4900.00 solution.

LARRY
WE BUILD A FEW DIFFERENT STYLES OF THE TR6060 IN A CAMARO
STOCK RATIO WITH CARBON RINGS 1/4 WITH LASTEST SYNCHRO'S AND EXTENSION BEARING
TRANS SHIFTS MINT AT 7100
OPTION'S
SFI BELLHOUSING
9310 MAINSHAFT
RATIO'S
2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 .74 .50 OR .80 .63 **
2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 .74 .50 OR .80 .63
2.29 1.60 1.21 1.00 .84 .67
** OPTIONAL 9310 INPUT AND CLUSTER DRIVE

GEORGE RSG RACE DIVISION
VIPERZO6@AOL.COM
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #32
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams450r View Post
We can make a 4.1 bell housing cover for it and will need the bell housing in shop for it. Make sure 4.1 is okay with sanctioning body.kdorris@stroudsafety.com I emailed Stroud Safety today and this is there responce. If anyone has a bell housing not in the car thats willing to get the ball rolling email them back.www.stroudsafety.com
The SFI rating for the blanket has to be sfi 9.1.... sfi 4.1 is a blanket cover for a auto trans.

But this is the right idea..Maybe they will make a blanket and submit to SFI for testing and certification to meet the 9.1 standard.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 04-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #33
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Do they really check for these things? I have run low 11's in several cars and never had tech look for something like this.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #34
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Do they really check for these things? I have run low 11's in several cars and never had tech look for something like this.

Low 11's no. Low 10's you bet your ass they do.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #35
2010 SS RS

It really depends on the track, their insurance coverages and how picky they want to be. I race at Bandimere speedway in Denver which is a big time NHRA track thus they follow the rules pretty close. Do they check? Well that is how I found out about it in the first place. I was just having them check my car over as I just installed the rollbar and belts and wanted clarification on the rollbar pad placement. So they did a quick tech check and sure as shit.....No bellhousing...no steel valve stems. and everything else was fine. Since then I was told yesterday that since no bellhousing is available that we can get a waiver and use the 4.1 kevlar blanket in late model cars with no sfi rated bellhousings available as long as we have the sfi certified clutch and flywheel installed. I have a Spec Super Twin which does meet both sfi specifications but it was pointed out to me that the ZR1 clutches that a few friends are using do not have the sfi specs. All specs and photographs of installed componenents must be in our log book and presented at time of inspection. Mtncowboy...Don a friend of mine who is in AZ for the winter talked to Firebird and was told they require NHRA tech standards and will be conducting full tech inspections prior to any car running. Should be interesting to say the least.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #36
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
The tower sicked the track staff on me the very first 11.5 run I made. A track official came over to me in the staging lanes and asked " what did you just run"? I answered 11.5 @ 121. He said I had to have a roll bar, five point harness, single layer fire jacket, and long pants, along with the other NHRA required safety equipment. I intentionally stayed above 11.49 and still got reprimanded.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #37
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Are these tech inspection/rules just for drag racing? What about the HPDE day at the Bondurant course track?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #38
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Are these tech inspection/rules just for drag racing? What about the HPDE day at the Bondurant course track?
I dont think it will be an issue for the 3 x 15 minute sessions and instructions at the track Phadt attack road course events. But obvously if you went to enter a SCCA event then tech would be involved. Not sure what sanctioned body controls Autocross events...Good question though.
I thought the Bondurant event was in their cars which already have all safety devices installed. They dont run stock cars in any way shape or form..but they would have the same issue with bellhousing as any other tremec for sure. I had thought about contacting the boys at Stevenson racing to see what they are doing to meet the SCCA regs in their Camaros...

Leave it to you Doc to open up a whole new can o worms...roflmao